don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Well, part of it is that a lot of fans have no idea what a model is, so they say "model" when they're getting sweaty about Sonic's standing pose or what shade of blue he is.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  2. JW.

JW.

The discourse around model changes in the sonic community is something I try to ignore as much as possible lol.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Haha, for sure. Like I prefer the Gens one, but, whatever. I want the game to be good before I care about this stuff and that's the standard we're still trying to hit. I hate to even partake in the model talk here, but when it's part of a smoking gun for this supposedly being a newer build than the other day's footage it had to be done. :doge:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    With today's video I think we've pretty much seen all the footage that was in the teaser trailer

I wonder what comes next? Story and "Cyberspace"? At this point those probably the two things I'm most interested in seeing lol

5. corneliab

corneliab

Finally got around to seeing the combat video and I'm actually shocked at how sloppy and unfocused this is (the video, I mean). It feels like it was slapped together in short order. Why would anybody want to watch somebody waste a lot of time fighting singular enemies badly?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
  6. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Good thoughts:

1. Can't tell if it's placebo or just the fact that the footage takes place mostly at ground level, but I'm noticing less pop-in and, in general, less immersion-breaking graphical artifacts. The enemies seem to have really colorful animations, and I LOVE exploding robots very much.

2. The combat looks pretty polished honestly. The hitstop looks VERY satisfying and there's a lot of cool visual effects going on here. Yet again, the pressing concern is just Sonic, Sonic's animations, etc... but the enemies look great. It seems like they at least have enough groundwork laid here for some pretty engaging enemy encounters, the question is just whether or not they design encounters which actually require you to master the mechanics, or if everything is just a mashfest

3. Being able to spin cycle large areas looks very fun, like in the clip where he cycles 3 small enemies all at once to take them down faster. I can see some depth there. There are a few other moments of brilliance, namely when Sonic trips the titan and when he blows the shell off that saw enemy to attack it.

4. IDGAF what twitter says, I love the birds! And I think they love me too :3

Bad / Confused Thoughts:

1. The threat levels don't seem super crazy, although I'm guessing the little two-legged enemies are likely the Bokoblins of this game and they're not supposed to be hard. But the saw enemy doesn't really look challenging at all. I like what they did with the titan and the way you have to dodge the red rings in order to climb it, but it's arm-slamming attack doesn't seem super difficult to avoid either.

2. It looks... a little tedious? I'm gonna listen to y'all saying maybe the person playing isn't really demonstrating the "optimal" playstyle, just trying to showcase moves very slowly, step by step. At one point you can see the player deliberately dodge like 5 times in a row despite not being attacked, so I think the player really is just trying to spoonfeed us. Hopefully the skill tree, along with actually becoming competent with Sonic's moveset, results in less tedious encounters. This isn't a Sonic-specific problem though, I will say. Even in BOTW there are encounters that bore me to death because I hate finding the same opening and doing the same attack over and over and over again. And hopefully there is some decent enemy variety in the overworld, which there looks to be. I'd rather not fight that saw enemy 32 times in a row just to gain enough XP to unlock faster sweating from the skill tree.

3. Not a big fan of cutscene moves. It would be one thing if Sonic had one or two big finishers like a flurry rush or an ultimate, but there are numerous moves that seem to pull the camera away or have you watch a 2-3 second animation for an attack that doesn't even seem to be a designated finisher. I'd prefer to see some moves that make combat movement look smooth and seamless. This looks fast and responsive, but there are several moves that seem like I'm just clicking and then watching something happen, then I press another button and watch something else happen. and the transition between these moves isn't really seamless by any means.

4. I shouldn't have to add the disclaimer "everything looks cool except Sonic", but honestly... I just don't understand how you can design enemies this cool and animate all these colorful explosions and effects and 4K 3,000,000 fps water but still have Sonic looking like he was copy pasted out of the last game. I sincerely hope there's more to this, because it cannot just be an oversight that the environment looks prettier than PSO2 and Sonic looks like a fucking ketchup stain.

I definitely have to agree though... something feels really off, and I feel like something weird may be going on. No idea what it is, but I could not agree more with whoever said these reveals are extremely back-and-forth in terms of reception. These reveals have just been extremely... weird.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  7. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I imagine we’re getting an interview next since that was specifically highlighted during today’s video.

8. jbr

jbr

I would describe myself as "intruiged" by this game. I think it's going to feel quite different from a normal Sonic game, so there's bound to be a lot of resistance. I think the game also has the potential to be a bit boring, but I do really like the vibe, the music, the weird robots, and the combat. I guess we'll see.

I'm gonna hypothetize that those blue tokens have something to do with the combat. Like maybe Sonic has a certain amount of power which dictates which moves you can make, so you have to use your special moves wisely.

9. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    They used to - it would be a mad scramble to get builds out of the door that were ready for CES or E3, to the point where sometimes builds would be replaced mid-show!

I personally can't see this being a dramatically out-of-date build of the game, because... it doesn't make much sense to show off old code. The only normal reason this might happen is if Sonic Team created it for something else, and were too lazy to kick off the build process again for IGN (though you think they would make the effort, given it's the first public showing). You'd also think someone at some stage would take some pride in the project not to let what is shown drift too far away from top level - it is their big Christmas release, after all.

Unless it really is some horrendously cynical strategy for Twitter - "we're not only listening to your concerns, we've already addressed those concerns because old build lol - aren't we great??". But that requires imagination and it seems to be in short supply for this project.

No the issue isn't about whether it's actually an old build, but that people are coming to that conclusion because it looks terrible. If I was in Sega's marketing team, I'd be worried... unless again, we're being cynical and "showing how much we can improve in a short space of time" is an asset now. It looks like an engine test to me - if Sonic Team are adamant that this is reflective of the final game, there's something wrong with the messaging.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. Pexs

Pexs

Otherwise known as Spex Member
    This looks pretty sick. I'd hazard they burnt the entire mental "design budget" trying to put together the whole new combat flow and reused as much movement tech from the previous games as possible. I was pretty disappointed with the lack of movement changes from the first teaser, but with the direction they've shown here I'm totally down to give this a shot. Seems like they took some cues from Platinum-style "style-em-ups" or "character action" games like other people said - I'd guess the grunt enemies with the visual cues allow to do Spider-Man styled "perfect dodges", which when you combine with Sonic's new moveset of flurry attacks and launches seems like it'll allow for a fair amount of expression in combat. I am a "character action" junkie, so I am *SO down* with this lol.

I think people are right in that this doesn't quite seem like a Sonic game in the traditional sense, more like a game with Sonic in it. But then again it's about as much of a change as the Adventure games had to the Boost games, and if it works I'd LOVE to have more of this direction. I liked BOTW for the same reasons: 1) being able to run around at will 2) neat movement 3) challenging and taking down anything with a pulse.

Seems more fun than the last.....3 boost games I guess? Colors was an interesting Wii-ification of the Unleashed formula, Gens was a good extension of Unleashed's whole schtick though it didn't change much, and Forces mostly just automated itself really. Cautiously optimistic here - hopefully it's as fun as I think it is.

Edit:

Before I forget, those animations are inexcusable though lol. Gameplay looks fun, but the animations are *pretty* jank. That's a bad mark on a pretty good combat teaser, same for the last one too.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
  11. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    https://twitter.com/SSF1991/status/1532793215832707072?s=20&t=RaDmYci-PINeYpnWJwWl_g

Don't know if anyone has posted this, but more coming Tuesday. The mention of a "hands-on preview" is particularly interesting, since it implies we will eventually see someone play a live, functioning build of the game and not just compiled footage that is thrown together by SEGA and shows extremely isolated areas of the overworld. We also wouldn't have to ask questions like "how old is this footage" because it's live / unedited gameplay.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Useful Useful x 5
    • List
  12. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I imagine we’ll still be speculating about the date of the build though. :p

13. RikohZX

RikohZX

I still don't get how Sonic 06 has Shadow's attack animations look a little funny but ultimately accommodate for all those aerial maneuvers, and meanwhile Frontiers has Sonic do all these aerial combos, yet he resets to his ground idle animation stance every time because the devs somehow didn't account for how that looks. The only reason I can think that's happening is that the combos are the same animations on ground and air, which is its own can of worms.

If I can see that at 30FPS footage, I'm gonna see it every time on 60FPS gameplay.

14. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Having thought about it a bit, here's what I'll say.

Here's Street Fighter 6's trailer:

Here's Sonic Frontiers trailer:

Do I need to say anything else?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I imagine you're going to whether we like it or not.

16. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    It's rhetorical lol

17. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Without delving into the implied "lol it sucks look at this trailer compared to this other one"...I do wonder why Sega is choosing to market the game...like this.

A gameplay showcase of isolated gameplay elements released through IGN is just a weird way to drum up hype. And we all know that SoA's social media team can do better. What gives?

18. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Well yeah, that's part of the point. Even just the presentation of the trailer is very weird.

19. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    They are purposefully showing incomplete content to get all the negativity out of the way, so that by comparison the end result will seem much better.

20. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    The SF6 trailer is certainly much better as the first big gameplay reveal but there has been still just as much criticism over it as Frontiers is getting.