don't click here

Mega Drive Mini 2 Announced (Includes Mega CD Games)

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Ashura96, May 27, 2022.

1. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Goddamn, I was wrong... I'm guessing a SOC capable of Saturn is still too expensive to make sense.

Mk2 looking good tho, considering they already have the mold for it, a Genesis 2 will most likely come out I guess, in fact there's even more reason for it to come out due to it having the 6 Button pad (japan already had the 6 button pads from the beginning).

Now, I wonder what could they bundle with it, as there are less Mega CD games here compared to Japan. Maybe some 32x?

Also, seems to be. There's a video on their homepage for the thing which lists all the games individually and it's looking like regular CD Version.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
  2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It looks it anyway that was the original title screen with the 1993 copyright. The PC version has 96 attached and the remake removed the copyright (Origins readded the copyright but more in the style used in Sonic's 1, 2, and 3)

3. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Official MD Mini 2 site has this screen for SCD, so it would sure seem like that is the case.
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 8
    • List
  4. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
  5. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  6. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Saturn mini would be dope, but yeah, I figure the tech isn’t quite there yet even without the semiconductor shortage.

The mini 2 is a great announcement though and I’m really glad they’re including CD games. Just hope they confirm an American release soon - the Famitsu interview says they’re planning it, but focusing on Japan right now with the shortages.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Kobz

Kobz

Down on the Upside Member
    FLA
  8. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    This thing looks gorgeous. Will probably spend far too much picking up various decorative bits >_>

9. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I'll try to pick up the JP, US, and Asia versions again. I NEED Snatcher and Popful Mail on an American unit though.

10. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    I've always wanted SEGA to rerelease more Mega CD games, so this looks very cool indeed and will definitely pick this up if it gets a UK release.

11. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Seems pretty cool. If this comes out in the US I wonder if they'll use previous official English translations. Though I'm not sure how that would work with Popful Mail since Working Designs is long gone.

12. Gryson

Gryson

So they solved the problem of not having enough Mega CD games to fill out the library by reaching into the MD library. Good thinking.

I'm curious to see how a Western release handles the Working Designs games. I highly doubt WD retains any sort of publishing rights (no company is going to give them indefinite publishing rights like that), but WD presumably has copyright over its original translation. Is a new, more accurate translation too much to hope for?

13. And if they keep the Working Designs translation, is Mail still going to call Slick a retard?

14. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    With voice acting involved? Highly doubt it.

Still disappointed it just isn't a CD mini by itself though. I think there are enough games. Could have had all CD 33X games on the thing aswell.

15. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    I think it’s possible that Gaijinworks holds some sort of authority over the Working Designs copyrights, since Victor Ireland (founder of both) once said he was trying to get the legal go-ahead to put the Lunar games on PSN well into the Gaijinworks days. Now, of course, that never happened, but maybe a bigger company like Sega could get all the ducks in a row.

Of course, even if any Working Designs games did make it on, I would immediately mod the system to replace them with the Unworked Designs versions.

16. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

And you also know if / when it does come to the west it’ll omit the extras and then people will be selling them on eBay for thousands (not that anyone seems to buy them).

17. Gryson

Gryson

This Famitsu article with Okunari (in Japanese) has some good details.
    • 20 of the 50(+) titles will be Mega CD titles.
    • This is M2's first time doing Mega CD emulation. They had quite a few problems with it, which is why they're only including 20 Mega CD titles. Adding more would have taken too much time (they have to meticulously check each title).
    • There will be no 32X titles included. "If we could easily emulate the 32X's two CPUs, then we could just go ahead and release a Saturn Mini." -Okunari
    • Virtua Racing is the SVP version. M2 started work on emulating the SVP when the first Mega Drive Mini came out, but they soon gave up. They've now finished it.
    I hope this helps set some expectations around a possible Saturn Mini. M2 was struggling to handle the Mega CD emulation in the target time frame since they had never done it before. A Saturn Mini would be such a colossal project in comparison - in addition to the added hardware cost.

• Informative Informative x 8
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  18. RikohZX

RikohZX

Is it bad to say that besides Knuckles Chaotix and, albeit somewhat redundant thanks to this release, Virtua Racing Deluxe, I wouldn't mind skipping the 32X altogether in favor of a Saturn Mini or some sort of Saturn digital game collection in the future?

19. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I feel like they could have been given more time to make more CD games compatible.

Do we know when they started development on the Mini 2?

20. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    I think a Saturn Mini with some 32X games as a bonus could work pretty well.