don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. RikohZX

RikohZX

A single movement rate for a walking animation, but analog movement speeds that let you move faster or slower than that which makes it look like you're sliding along. The same problem is in PSO2, even despite that game adding inverse kinematics.

Which, to be entirely fair, is one positive this game has despite the jankiness of the demonstration. Lost World and Forces were so borked on slow movement that even this weird thing is an improvement.

2. Deathscythe

Deathscythe

Sonic the Hedgehog horror movie incoming?

3. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    Nothing about this clip changed my mind from this. It looks like Sega saw how everyone loves Sonic Utopia and other 'open zone playground' fangames (read: tech demos) and completely whiffed on why people like them. It's because of the potential of using that open exploration in a more directed environment, not because it's a big open space with a bunch of springs and shit to jump around on.

4. Linkabel

Linkabel

I mean, the rest of the island seems to be out of PSO2.

I don't mind them reusing assets tbh since they done that lots of time like in Sonic 2, SA1&2, Heroes/Shadow, Unleashed to Generations etc etc.

At least this seems to be decent reuse of assets unlike in Forces.

5. PhazonHopper

PhazonHopper

Arceus is probably an incredible apt comparison.
    • "Open world" made by a company who has no idea how to do it.
    • Looks incredibly rough at first glance.
    • Doesn't really improve.
    • "Succeeds" because of the name and concept alone.
    I hadn't played a new Pokemon game in quite a while when Arceus came out and decided to give it a shot...I really don't think any open world game should be striving to be like that game.

6. MH MD

MH MD

Elden Ring, the best rated game this year and one of the best rated of all time, reused assets like crazy, a lot of shit from DS3 and even have some animations lifted straight up from DS1

It's really not a big deal, it's how you use it. it's smarter use of assets if anything, it streamline the development process and avoid wasting a lot of time on stuff no one will even really notice in practice

7. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    why am I surprised that people are absolutely malding over this

8. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I have no idea what to think of this.

9. Vaiz

Vaiz

Internet.
    It cooould be because after five years we expect a product to actually look good. I dunno. Crazy, that.

10. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    [​IMG]

11. Lozicle

Lozicle

This doesn't really look like a new style of Sonic game. It just looks like Forces but with a really big level. I could maybe forgive the lack of rolling if Sonic looked like his movement was affected by the terrain at all. The movement does not look engaging. The leak said the cyberspace levels would be boost-style, and if the rest of the game controls like it does because they couldn't make two separate control styles, then it'll be another case of a game sabotaged by a lack of focus.
    I really hope there's something in this game to get my interested.

12. RikohZX

RikohZX

I'm certain that COVID hurt this game hard, it was supposedly going to be revealed in 2020 after all in hopes of releasing last year. But I can't just blame everything on COVID and take any blame off of whatever messed up development problems Sonic Team in general seems to have nowadays.

Ryu Ga Gotoku team reuses assets galore, but they can still push out a new Yakuza game or Judgement title almost every other year and still managed to push out a Virtua Fighter 5 engine change and rework at the same time during all the COVID-19 hell, so this really does seem like a Sonic Team issue.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    The original Sonic 1 movie trailer already exists

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  14. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    In the 5 years since Forces' release I somehow forgot just how damn negative some people here could get.
    If you guys turn this forum into the same toxic swamp it became during Forces' pre-release I honestly don't know if I'll have the strength to stick around lmao

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. RikohZX

RikohZX

It's not like most people are coming in here, on a Sonic forum that talks about Sonic games, looking to be angry and hate something. A lot of expectations prior to the gameplay reveal were holding out hope and trying to be positive.

But we just see the same problems that have been here for nine years now on repeat, with nothing learned.

16. Vaiz

Vaiz

Internet.
    I mean, I feel like this forum is positive when it's fair to be positive. When what we get after the aforementioned five years seems to just be taking its cues from the aimless nature of tech demo unreal engine fan games, I think it's fair to come at it with some amount of trepidation. Maybe it comes out and blows our minds, and if so, great! At the moment, however? I'm just not feeling anything exciting based on this footage.

17. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    again, reusing assets is not laziness. it is efficiency. there is absolutely no point in remaking the same things over and over ad-nauseum so that "everything is new".

18. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    Dunno why people are saying this is like Forces when I haven't seen any OCs, long stretches of straight hallways, characters that won't shut up (yet), or shameless nostalgia-bait. Outside of some asset reuse, I don't really see it unless we're somehow saying that Forces created boosting. I guess there's still some time for it all to come up but man. :V

But for real, yeesh it looks rough. The pop-in looks bad and Sonic's hitbox when breaking things is way too large for some reason. There are several points where it feels very much like "SEGA hire this man", but this game was always going to give that impression ever since we first saw the environment a year ago so it's hardly some big revelation. All of this doesn't help that the person in control of Sonic decided to move slowly to show off the world, though I suppose it does help in showing that there actually are things to do and that speeding through the map could potentially show less of that.

Overall I'm disappointed but not enough to act like an asshole about it. We'll see down the line if everything else is as jank as what's already been shown however.

19. corneliab

corneliab

I'm surprised at how much negativity I'm seeing given all the blind optimism there's been for the game in the past.

The thing that gets me the most with this footage is that the movement doesn't seem as fresh as I had hoped. It seems they decided to build off of Sonic's repertoire from the boost games instead of starting over from scratch like I feel they should have done.

Everything else, what can I say really, there's just not much going on. Watching Sonic get bounced around some fairly automated-looking floating level assets above some non-descript plains isn't exactly doing much for me.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  20. Violet CLM

Violet CLM

More than anything, here's what that footage reminds me of:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List