don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Delay is definitely a good thing at the end of the day, but it's just annoying that this game got announced a year ago at this point and SEGA still has nothing to show for it.

2. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    More of a playful ribbing from one ambiguously-bisexual quasi-furry to the others.

3. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Maybe so, on that last bit. The point I meant to get across was that Sonic 06 failing because it went through development hell trying to bring Sonic to the next generation of consoles feels more understandable than Sonic Forces failing because they forgot how they made Generations good. And perhaps a preference for the older games' writing, however biased or rose-tinted it may be, is helping give it some extra points.
    Again, fair. Forces is a particular Charmy in my bonnet, in part because it felt like its mere mediocrity got it a pass on launch that I don't think it deserved, but it's clearly not damaging the brand to the wider Sonic audience in the way it hurt my own perception of the franchise.
    It could help, I'm sure. It would certainly be nice to have something to fill the now-longer gaps in Sonic's release schedule. Though if these hypothetical side-games stuck to 2D, you'd probably still get Sonic fans hungry for a good 3D adventure. Maybe we can get SEGA to fund Sonic Utopia or something. :V

4. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    I wonder how much of the fan outrage could be mitigated if the mainline 3D games were designed to have more meat on their bones (hopefully what Frontiers is aiming to do)

it's been about 5 years since Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild released but these games are designed to be long lasting experiences beyond the year they released.

I remember as a kid it took me ages to complete Wind Waker but there's something kinda special about that experience. It felt like a goddamn journey lol.

Forces was such a shallow game that it was bound to leave people wanting more. Hopefully Frontiers will be the anti-Forces.

5. MH MD

MH MD

Nah, when the fans says it's ambitious, what they mean is something way more simple than that
    Sonic 2006 is "ambitious" because:
    -It's a reboot, just called Sonic the Hedgehog, whenever any series do that, they want to signifies a new beginning, a new redefinition, some big title that deserves it's franchise namesake, Sonic 06 was no different.
    -It's one of the biggest Sonic games, three main campaigns, three "main" different gemaplay styles between them, while also having so many side-characters that you can also control, in fact it was the last time a main sonic game that had so many playable characters
    - even the story aimed for something bigger, having some FF vibes, and the scope of the story across the time, even having sonic DIES in it, it really aimed for something more epic than usual
    - Some would say the mach stages were grand and big in scope at the time, regardless of their quality

it's things like that that make people say something is ambitious, compared with other games, it doesn't even have to reflect in it's quality, people hate 06, a lot of people love Unleashed and call it ambitious, people also love Colors and Generation no problem while acknowledging they are not as ambitious, they don't in any way refer to something " too stupid" or whatever, even the mere fact that Frontiers is an open world make it one of the most ambitious games of the franchise by default, and we haven't even really seen it yet

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  6. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    “Ambition” is one of those buzzwords that’s lost all meaning for me (how a game like Colors or Generations doesn’t have “ambition” makes no sense to me when they have tons of cool ideas and great game mechanics) and I don’t like it when people try to use it to defend massive pieces of shit like Sonic ‘06.

7. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    Generations started to experiment with more open level design for the boost gameplay and to me that alone is way more ambitious than anything '06 ever did lol

8. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Colors and Generations aren't considered that ambitious because they basically felt like mission pack sequels to Unleashed. Sure, they added new stuff like Wisps and Classic Sonic, but they didn't feel like they tried to go all out and significantly move the series forward the way Sonic '06 and Unleashed aimed to.

As for Gens' level design, I honestly found it a step back from Unleashed in terms of scale. What with the levels being shorter and more casual in terms of difficulty. Granted, they improved in some areas, like having less cheap deaths and more paths, but they didn't have the feel of large-scale grandness Unleashed's levels had, at least to me.

Of course, I'll take Colors and Gens over '06 any day of the week. I'll probably also take Gens (but not Colors) over Unleashed.

Last edited: May 31, 2022
  9. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    I love when people bring this up, because modern City Escape is my favorite stage in Generations partly for that reason. So much I could say about that stage, but every time I think about loading up Generations again, the first thing I think of is City Escape... and Seaside Hill.

Also, this is just a matter of definition, it's a purely semantic argument. There are clearly two camps of interpretation of the word "ambitious"; one is referring to an attempt to completely reinvent the wheel, whereas the other camp seems to be referring to games which change the same wheel, but in new ways that have never been done before. This is why I usually communicate via incoherent ooking and screeching; I am free from the limitations of language. Through my progress, my captors have been able to teach me simple arithmetic, and how to fit these little colored blocks into their aptly-shaped holes.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. charcoal

charcoal

Ambition isn't really a measurable quality, you can call anything "ambitious" if you really feel like it. I could say sonic colors and lost world are very ambitious, even if that's just stupid, I'm not technically incorrect in saying it.

11. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I mean, you can basically "measure" ambition based on factors like innovation, scope, length, content, production values, etc. MH MD did just that in their post. Maybe not "measure" it on an objective, indisputable level, but then again, the same is true for most areas, like the level of quality, fun factor, addictiveness, replayability, etc.

12. I'm gonna agree that Sonic fans have turned "ambition" and "passion" into buzzwords, because they cannot articulate exactly what about the games they like are so ambitious and passionate, because the love they have for their favorite games are almost purely aesthetic and emotional. You have Sonic fans who literally feel games like Sonic Colors "killed the franchise" due to the fact that the game made a conscious decision to distance itself away from the narratives and plotlines setup in the early 2000's era, simply because that's the era of Sonic where they were the most emotionally invested and felt betrayed when the series chose to move on from that an have been longing for a return to that. Irrational? Absolutely, but most Sonic fans are very irrational when it comes to the stuff they love about this franchise.

So I really wouldn't read too much into whenever someone says it. If a Sonic fan tells you 06 was "ambitious and had passion" you can basically read it as "I missed the time when Sonic games went above and beyond with their products even if they didn't always hit the mark"

Its all subjective bullshit at the end of the day and part of the reason I just kind of tune out the vocal parts of the fanbase nowadays. Judging things on my own feelings is much more productive.

13. Hydr0city

Hydr0city

> Kamikazee Member
    Everybody knows the Sonic game with the most ambition was always Sonic XS anyway.

It had cheat codes you got from watching 4Kids, guys! Game-to-television cross-communication!!! It even had a Shadow version!!!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. charcoal

charcoal

If we don't get frontiers footage by the end of june I think I'm gonna go insane.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I find this to be an awfully dismissive stance. I mean, I never cared much for the mid-2000s games and I can still see where those fans are coming from. Games from that era had better production values, more cinematic stories, more playable characters, and didn't recycle the last game's engine. It was also one of the primary reasons they failed. Sonic Team tended to bite more than they could chew. It's pretty much universally agreed upon that the alternate play styles and characters were the weakest parts in those games, and great part of the reason the final product as a whole didn't receive the polish it needed.

16. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    So the vibe I'm getting here is that Frontiers just needs to find the exact right way to waste our time to be considered "ambitious".

17. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    You shouldn't have to wait much longer, don't worry.

18. charcoal

charcoal

completely unrelated and slightly derailing, but have you actually been to mykonos before? lol

19. Vanishing Vision

Vanishing Vision

I just hope that if the leaks were right about "cyberspace" levels that play like traditional Sonic stages, we get to see footage of those soon. That will play a major part in how interested in Frontiers I'll be.

20. I really hope there will be a good variation of biomes in the locations Sonic will explore, I really would appreciate that. I think the last that a main 3D Sonic game looked this beautiful was in Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Generations.