don't click here

Sonic Riders 2 & 3, Additional Spinoffs Confirmed

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Gamerguy, Dec 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IcePak

IcePak

I really like that idea, and I think it could work. The mechanics of Sonic games don't work nearly as well in 3D as they do in 2D, so I think creating a 2D game with 3D graphics would be the way to go. Even a 2.5D game would hold much more promise than another fully 3D Sonic game. That's not to say I'm not looking foward to the new 3D Sonic game, but I don't hold much hope for it.

In fact, while I was building levels for UT2K3 & 4 I comtemplated trying to make a 2D scroller, preferably a Sonic game. From my research on the engine, I discovered that it was certainly possible, but unfortunately I lost interest in the project before I started any work with the engine. I may go back to it one day, but I will need to do a lot more research on how to code for the engine, as that's where I left the project.

We all know the Sonic series has been going downhill since the move to 3D (although I enjoyed both Adventure games, but both weren't without faults, which could have been improved upon in Heroes and Shadow, however they ultimately weren't). Even the Advance games, which returned to the series 2D roots, failed to capture the essence of the Mega Drive Sonic games. I've yet to play Rush, but so many people are saying it's the best Sonic game since Sonic & Knuckles, which can't be a bad thing in my opinion.

2. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    I've been saying it for a long time, as well.

They'd rake in the dough if they made a 2.5D SMC. And I think it could even still be emulated, for the core logic of the game (so that it would play exactly like the original), but have the emulator tailored for each game, where it can inspect the game RAM and VDP RAM, translating that to the 2.5D engine. For example, the game would peek at Sonic's attributes and coordinates to determine the position of Sonic's onscreen 3D model. Sound could be emulated with a stub that uses "better" sounds. If you needed any VDP functionality, you could probably use a small stub function. Basically, it could be a complete visual and aural revamping, but still using the exact same core game engine.

I think that would be feasible for Sonic Team, and I think that it would work brilliantly if done right.

3. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

Something like the Crash Bandicoot bonus stages would work well. They were 3d graphics in 2d.

4. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    I'd like the opposite of Sonic rush. Sorta like a "Paper Mario" feel, that'd be cool.

5. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    that's actually a pretty imaginative idea. But getting an emulated M68K to work with a normal instructions would take a lot of work, but it's certainly possible. I wonder if any of the really good hackers here could do it? Because I think we've kinda learned by now not to rely on Sonic Team for such things.

6. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    No, it wouldn't, at least I don't think so. Set up a ROM space the size of the ROM image, and 64K of RAM space. Run the engine normally, and you can most likely ignore VDP or sound code, as you wouldn't be emulating much of this. Run the 68k 60 times per second and in the remaining CPU time, have the emulator basically dissect the current state of the game in RAM and apply those attributes to the 3D display. The only thing you need the 68k for is to ensure that the game logic is 100% identical to the earlier game, and emulation of the game core would be a much faster way to achieve the same end result. The emulation will go faster because you only have to worry about the 68k, leaving more CPU time for the external part of the emulator.

I seriously think it would be highly feasible to do so. The hard part would be making quality 3D models to replace most of the graphics in the game (things like the HUD and the life icon can be flat 2d graphics, but they should still be "beefed up").

Shit, that's not a bad idea - too bad I know nothing about 3d game development. It'd be awesome if we were to beat Sega to the punch on such a compilation. The only problem is, each game would have to have it's own graphics and sound pack.

7. Elusive

Elusive

Sparkster the Rocket Knight Member
    I loathed Crash's 'into the screen' nature, though. Viewed like a 2D scroller, moving into and out of the screen towards and away the plaer isn't just pointless, it encourages broken gameplay. 'Whoops, you missed the platform? Too bad, you can't judge the depth perception in this style of game!'

8. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    This one guy made a hack/emulator of Metroid for the NES. It uses a the level data from the ROM and makes the game, with the same game play, 3d! It's called Metroid Cubed I believe.

Edit: This is being done with the Megaman game for the PSP (Not megaman ledgends 1 or 2). It's going to be amazing.

9. Squints

Squints

All souped-up. And DESECRATED! Member
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    RIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACERRRRRRRRRRRR
    Yeah, I remember seeing Metroid Cubed on a website once. It looked really nice.
    As for Mega Man games, there are actually two coming for PSP (not counting DASH 1+2). They're both 3D remakes. One is the first Mega Man game (remake called Mega Man: Powered Up or something like that) and the other is Mega Man X (remake called Maverick Hunter X),

10. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Maybe it does. It shows 2D images inside a 3D texture as big as the screen. It makes the image blurry.

When I talk about 2D hardware, only GBA and DS can handle the real stuff such as mapped tiles and sprites, as well as hardware scrolling and rotating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.