don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. kokocho

kokocho

The Great Detective Member
    Yeah, if you like Sonic Adventure 7.

2. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Yeah, it's not much, but we now have gotten more circumstantial evidence suggesting the OG tracks 'will' be in the games than they won't be. Unless you believe the Zippo leaks (which many here clearly do not).

I'm rooting for Beta Carnival Night, personally, but I would prefer Ice Cap gets preserved and would ultimately want the "original" soundtrack players grew up with preserved. Somehow including both like S3AIR or Complete would be ideal, but I don't find that likely.

3. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Press members tried asking SEGA questions about the Sonic 3 soundtrack in origins and received a "no comment" in response. That doesn't sound too promising IMO.
    Katie was quick to reassure the public Sonic 3 was going to be in widescreen when the original trailer aired. A simple tweet like "Don't worry guys, the Sonic 3 soundtrack was just remastered for the release, it's not changed at all!" would put all rumors to rest. Instead we got a trailer with no in-game audio, then a gameplay preview without any Sonic 3 or Sonic & Knuckles zones.

Dunno, I just prefer being wrong about this than being disappointed in the future. I just hope, if they end up using the proto songs, I hope they make Ice Cap 1 and Launch Base 1 sound less empty. I'd certainly prefer that than them using completely new compositions like the ones made for Lego Dimensions.

4. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    That doesn't really mean anything though. NDA's are also a thing.

5. Linkabel

Linkabel

Why would they have an NDA for that though?

The NDA doesn't prevent them from talking about what's the situation with the CD soundtrack, but it does prevent them from talking about if the S3 soundtrack is the original one? I get not going into details about story mode, but keeping quiet about a 28 year old game's soundtrack doesn't make sense.

The fact that they're specifically avoiding talking about it means that there might a possibility that it was changed.

I'm hoping it doesn't, but not getting my hopes up.

6. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    Yeah the prototype release really removed any anxiety I have about the OST tbh. :oldbie: either way we'll be getting some rad tunes...

7. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    I honestly don't mind if it's the original or beta tracks. Both sets are good. Although I really want Carnival Night to have the beta tracks which are...

[​IMG]

I also prefer the S3 title screen, Knuckles theme, mini boss & end credits tracks over their 3K counterparts, but I'm so used to the 3K music that I don't mind. At least we won't have to wait long to find out. Only a month until release.

8. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

Consider under what basis people are asking this question and the context of your comparison. Asking if it will be widescreen or not is something that is general information. They are asking if Sega will comment on whether the tracks are there or not because the media member asking the question is framing it based on knowledge of prototype music and the speculation of legal issues surrounding the game. In answering a question like that, they have now legitimized whatever perception of the issues media and the community members have. Staying silent and just releasing the game with the music intact seems like the correct move from a legal perception, and allows them to not have to engage in any narrative around Sonic 3's music whatsoever. It is a stretch to suggest that just because they haven't commented on it that it means it's some sort of smoking gun: for us, it's a sign of a huge issue and for them, it's Tuesday.

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  9. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Any discussions about CD happened over a decade ago, and the fact that we have already been told that CD is the 2011 version squashes any need for that. Back then the only thing that was missing were the JP lyrics because that person's estate didn't want to give the rights. This has been resolved for a long while as well.

Back when Sega was busy NOT releasing Sonic 3 after 2011, we all said it was because the music was wrapped up in controversy (and the most likely reason that the Sonic 3 mobile pitch never went anywhere). Now we are apparently saying that out of the blue Sega is fine releasing Sonic 3 but the music is still an issue?

People are basing this off of potential lawsuits and if I were Sega I'd not have any discussion on the matter either.

10. RikohZX

RikohZX

Doesn't matter what the music is to me, mods will change it either way it goes since while I dunno how loop/speed-up scripts work, sound files in Mania's data folder stuff could easily be swapped.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

I hated the PC version of Carnival Night for so long, but once I heard it back in the original Genesis chipset I fell in love. Same with Launch Base... it's sort of like the music from an alternate realty and we got a chance to peak in.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  12. Josh Cristan

Josh Cristan

I know what you mean. Whenever I fire up AIR with Sonic 2 sprites and proto music, it really does feel like you're in a viable alternate 1994.

13. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Leaning towards it being changed, but like I’ve said earlier, I don’t expect Sega to comment on it either way. “We’re keeping the music” or “we’re replacing the music,” either one invites the obvious question of “why would it be a big deal to keep/replace it,” and then they’d have to acknowledge the legal stuff, which to my knowledge no one from Sega itself ever has - the two biggest sources I recall talking about it recently was Stealth speculating after the S3K mobile port was nixed that the music was the reason, and the head of AtGames stating it outright (Sonic 3 was never included in any of their Genesis mini consoles, even though vanilla S&K was).

Like, even the answer about the S&K music overriding Sonic 3’s for a handful of themes/jingles is pretty beautiful in how it totally sidesteps the issue. Anyone asking about the Sonic 3 music is not worried about the Knuckles or boss themes, lol. (The S&K versions are better anyway)

14. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    If it sidesteps the issue, it's only because that answer can technically apply to the s3 title, 1up jingle, and super themes, which were not team jackson compositions but were replaced in s3&K. If those are in the museum (but not the miniboss and knuckles theme), then technically, that answer is correct in that sonic 3 replaced music can be heard.

Although I repeat again, everyone forgets the 1999 remix we got for Knuckles' Sonic 3 theme in Sonic Pocket Adventure.

15. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    It's not that we forget, it's that the Knuckles theme is just a 2s-long drum pattern you can't really register that as a composition on it's own. The fact they reconstructed that using a noise synth just makes that "remix" unfit for a copyright claim.

They could even have the Sonic 3 Knuckles theme in Lego Dimensions if they wanted to, they'd just need to change the drum samples to others to avoid direct sourcing, such a basic rhythm can't be copyrighted.

If you really wanted an argument that suggests there isn't a legal problem with the songs is that Tectoy was able to license Sonic 3 for the Mega Drive reissue that happened in 2017, and that one didn't have any changes.

But again, since it's a reissue of the game on the same media, the original contract could cover it. Or Tectoy just had some perpetual licensing agreement with SEGA and didn't care about the implications about rereleasing the game again.

Last edited: May 25, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  16. SSUK

SSUK

Oldbie
    Meanwhile, a year earlier in Europe:

https://www.game.co.uk/en/sega-mega-drive-ultimate-portable-game-player-sonic-25th-1483427
    https://www.game.co.uk/en/sega-mega-drive-classic-game-console-sonic-25th-1483452

Two bargain-basket Mega Drive disappointments. Featured prominently on the box of the "Sonic the Hedgehog 25th Anniversary" systems: Sonic Spinball, Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic 3D Blast. Huh, I guess they must have just missed Sonic 3 off the front, how silly of them. Must be an oversight, lets check the game list:

Huh. Weird. Why would a system that has seemingly gone out of its way to include every Sonic game released for the Mega Drive in a special Anniversary bundle purposefully miss Sonic 3? Oh well, I'm sure its nothing.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. RikohZX

RikohZX

No one can say Sega is consistent at least. :V

18. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    you see, that list is also missing another crucial genesis sonic game: sonic erazer

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  19. Snowbound

Snowbound

As someone who played Gems Collection growing up I am shocked and APPALLED that Sega left out the BEST Sonic game eva: Vectorman ;p

*This post was in jest but I meant no disrespect to VM’s devs. It’s clearly a better game than Sonic Razor Bump... er Erazor. I’ve just always been puzzled by their inclusion in gems lol

20. Tiberious

Tiberious

Yeah, I'm furry. Got a problem? Oldbie
    The salt if it turns out to be prototype-only with no choice is going to be glorious.

I'll just be enjoying the (mostly) better audio, and only somewhat missing Hard Times.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List