don't click here

What is your preferred controller for playing classic Sonic?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by jbr, May 24, 2022.

What is your preferred controller for playing classic Sonic?

1. Genesis controller

39 vote(s)
    51.3%
  2. XBox 360 or similar D-pad

12 vote(s)
    15.8%
  3. PlayStation or similar D-pad

14 vote(s)
    18.4%
  4. Other controller D-pad

16 vote(s)
    21.1%
  5. Analog stick

7 vote(s)
    9.2%
  6. Keyboard

9 vote(s)
    11.8%
  7. Joystick (am stuck in the 90s)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Touchscreen (am a psychopath)

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbr

jbr

With the upcoming release of Origins, I've been thinking about getting myself a nicer USB controller. So I was wondering, what are people's preferences when playing classic 2D Sonic? Part of me likes the idea of using a Genesis controller for authenticity, but then again, are they even ideal? They do have a decent sized D-pad, which some modern pads lack, but perhaps modern pads are more comfortable. Years of playing emulations has got me pretty fond of the keyboard too. Maybe some of you crazies out there even prefer an analog stick? Let's hear your thoughts!

2. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I personally prefer Xbox or Switch Pro.

3. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I've played classic sonic on Nintendo controllers for the past 10 years or so.
    Since Sonic's been most popular on Nintendo Platforms I find weird you didn't have a specific option for those.

Last edited: May 24, 2022
  4. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    8-bitdo Controller, or Wii Classic Controller Pro.

5. Retro-bit Genesis or Saturn pad, or else a Switch Pro pad.

6. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    If you want to chase this feeling to its logical conclusion, you might consider picking up an arcade stick or hitbox. They're not for everyone but if you're crazy about tactility like I am, it's the best for retro games. I picked a stick up just for fighters and quickly found myself using it for everything else possible, it's very fun. That's certainly true for classic Sonic, where piano rolling for spindashes has never felt better.

Secondary to that, I don't think you can go wrong with a Retro-Bit Genesis or Saturn pad. I have a pair of the Genesis pads and like them quite a bit, they're very comfy. I've heard good things about 8bitdo's M30 pad as well. But if you're not a piano roll savant and don't plan on playing any fighters, pretty much any of the modern big 3 controllers or the 8bitdo Pro 2 will suit you fine, they're all good choices.

7. Sai Start Marker

Sai Start Marker

Born in 1947 but made for the 90's Oldbie
    OEM SEGA Saturn controller (via USB adapter) and it's not even close.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    I'm most comfortable and familiar with keyboard controls, but man, would I like a Genesis USB controller...

9. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Keyboard. The classic Sonic games don't use analog controls, rumble or motion controls. So I honestly don't see the point in using a gamepad when playing them on PC (my main gaming platform). In fact, I find the keyboard preferable because I can have a different finger over each action key all the time. With a gamepad you only use your thumb for action buttons, so you have to move it from one button to the next.

That said, it would be nice if Origins implemented rumble. If they did so, I'd play it with a gamepad.

10. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    Switch Pro Controller. Nintendo just knows good D-Pad design, what can I say?

11. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    Is it weird that I prefer playing 2D Sonic with an analogue stick? To me it makes it more fun to go into a roll
    upload_2022-5-24_12-50-34.png
    I feel like they realized this with the mobile ports too since the control UI is designed to look like a stick instead of a D-Pad

12. Kobz

Kobz

Down on the Upside Member
    FLA
    Definitely Retro-bit's Genesis and Saturn controllers.

13. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Analog stick. Sonic's controls are fluid enough that you don't need pinpoint accuracy to play it well. I'd even argue it feels better with that level of smoothness.

I'd pick anything with a Genesis/Saturn D-Pad after that, for similar reasons. Not only is it "as intended", but it's smoother feeling than any other out there. Playing a Sonic game without controls that let you glide the thumb around seamlessly just feels wrong.

14. Saturn pad ideally but I’m quite satisfied with the DS4. The d-pad is fine and the diamond button configuration makes it easier to spam rev the spin dash.

Funnily I grew up playing the Mega Drive with an arcade stick back in the day. While it made sense for Shadow Dancer (the only game I played other than Sonic 2) I couldn’t imagine doing that now with Sonic.

15. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

You can’t go wrong with the M30 8BitDo Bluetooth control pad. It works on Switch, Mac, Android and iPhone, and last but definitely not least, the Mega Drive.

16. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    I use a USB SNES controller

17. Harper

Harper

I use my PS5 controller's analog stick. Feels really nice and smooth for me.

18. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    I use the stick on my 360 controller, with the d-pad mapped to tails for fun.
    Sonic has always just felt better on an analog stick to me, curling into a ball by smoothly tilting the stick downward feels 10x better to me than meandering around with the d-pad.
    I've been wanting to pick up a genesis or saturn controller with an adapter for fun sometime soon though, just for "authenticity".

19. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Since I only play on my computer these days, I just use a keyboard.

20. Josh Cristan

Josh Cristan

Basically this. I ordered in a Saturn Controller/Adapter in order to play Mania with it. Mania's release came 2 days before the controller arrived, and I had to tie my hands behind my back until it arrived so I could experience it properly. So worth the wait though!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.