don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    I'm not sure I like the implications of that statement...

Jokes aside, I'm pretty sure the tornado started out as sonic's but tails did so much work on it and piloted it so often, that sonic just decided to give it to him, because it'd see more use in tails' ownership.
    That's just meaningless headcanon though, but the tornado II is definitely tails' is that means anything.

2. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Along those lines, I think the plane was never anything more than a means to an end for Sonic. It's useful for making trips between the islands (since the latest movie did show us that water running isn't so straightforward once waves come into the picture), but he never seemed to have been passionate about it. Meanwhile Tails is the gearhead and, with their brotherly friendship, Sonic probably just has an attitude of "mi casa es tu casa".

3. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

The Japanese Sonic 2 manual refers to the Tornado as "Sonic's beloved machine".

4. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    Wasn't there also material that suggests Sonic was a vintage car enthusiast, in addition to the Tornado being his plane? It's a fact I've taken as writ for ages, but I'm realising I have absolutely no way to source this.

5. Swifthom

Swifthom

A Friend Remembers... Member
    There is definitely very early on images / drawings of Sonic hanging out with a racing car - I 'think' from Sonic CD but that might be bogus.

Then he's had the same racing car in pretty much every kart game since 1993 - so... I think we can officially say he's into cars. But so it the whole team to one degree or another.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
  7. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    They straight up removed unleashed from store shelves, and that game was passable. (in the eyes of critics, i personally love the game)
    They're probably talking out of their asses though, sonic 06 was meant to revitalize the series, and look where we are now.

8. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    yeah this just seems like the usual lipservice, although I like how that article implies that they only just recently learned that great games sell better via word of mouth. What a shocking discovery!

9. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Investor Q&As tend to result in answers that come off as patronizing to everyone else. Naturally, this means an article must be made about it. :V

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  10. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Yeah no they were literally asked if they want high review scores and they responded "yes". This is a non story.

11. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Very bold of SEGA to attempt to make the first Good Video Game. It's practically unheard of for developers to claim they are making a good game, in a world where every developer is obviously trying to make their games look as terrible as possible.

12. The angle is almost definitely generating engagement from people being like, “lol a good game from Sonic Team? Yeah right.” Or at the very least, just reaching for anything that can get clicks from those looking for news. Three other outlets picked up on this ‘story’ as well.

At least it’s better than this: https://www.thegamer.com/sonic-frontiers-expectations-fans-open-world/amp/

Sorry if that was posted before. I found it while searching Google News for Frontiers just now.

13. MootPoint

MootPoint

Clockwork Aquario's Strongest Soldier Member
    I want June to come already so we can see gameplay and finally stop getting stories like "Lizuka thinks about Sonic Frontiers during his bathroom break", lol.

14. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    That's where the best ideas come to mind, Frontiers gonna be 10/10.

But in all seriousness, I hope the game is good. I never really cared for reviews or scores on the internet. I enjoyed Unleashed, Heroes and even 06 to a point. I hope I can enjoy Frontiers, because Lost World and Forces were... lacking polish.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. kokocho

kokocho

The Great Detective Member
    That's an X-treme Yuji Naka reference

I have no doubt that Frontiers is going to be a very good game and that it will be the next big step for the franchise.
    But my worst fear is that the critics will use it as a punching bag again, because since 06 it's been a habit to throw shit at any game that tried to be different from the usual for the stupidest thing possible, for example the werehog in Unleashed.
    "But what the hell is Sonic doing fighting giants haha sonic never good haha"
    Which will lead us to another decade of cheap budget games using only sonic or they could also get rid of the modern sonic and use the classic sonic forever.

16. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    I hope they're not targeting magazine-tier reviews and actually like... YouTuber and streamer reviews. Because that's genuinely the audience they need to please in order to get their actual target audience on board. I think those have a way bigger impact than people like to think.

17. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    I mean, Unleashed had its problems... with repetitive combat mostly, but other than that I remember it being a pretty good game. It still looks impressive today.
    But yeah, pretty much what You said. I remember when the first teaser dropped, where Sonic throws a ring and whistles, and the werehog arm crushes it - people were really mad about it.

I actually did not mind werehog tbh. I thought that Knuckles with some kind of Chaos Force powers would be a better choice, but whatever.

Also, the problem with Internets is that, You can't say that something is just okay. You must hate or love something.
    Sonic 06? You must hate this game. The loading screens, you must hate Elise, Eggman's desing and everything else. This brings the clicks boi. If You don't hate it, it means that you love it - so You are a loser, who loves a bad game, where human kisses a hedgehog.

18. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    While I don't think "they were trying to be different!" is inherently praiseworthy or something that precludes criticism, I'm not sure the Werehog was Sonic "trying to be different". It was just Sonic Team's latest (and most obnoxiously extensive) stab at shoving melee combat mechanics into Sonic games, and I'd hated that since Heroes. It had more depth than the melee combat in any of the 3D Sonic games prior to that point, so I'll give it that, but it was still an awful design decision to make playing them mandatory to access more daytime stages. Making them separate campaigns, or giving the player the choice on if they want to tackle a specific area by day or by night, would have resulted in way less* criticism of the whole thing. Like, yeah, some people just love to shit on Sonic games, but it's not like Sonic Team's bizarre design sensibilities don't often make that easy.

Relating this back to the topic proper, my biggest issue with the melee combat in past games has been how it completely breaks the flow of the game. Like Kishimoto being the director of the game, Iizuka hyping up 'combat' is a red flag to me. At the same time though, he also describes it as bringing Sonic's "signature dexterity to the battlefield", so maybe (hopefully) it won't be some pace breaking slogfest like it's been every other time?

*: "Way less" because this was still the next mainline game after 06, so some were never gonna give it a fair shot regardless.

19. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Sonic's melee combat skills are far better in Smash Bros than in Sonic games, so those should be the "brawl mechanics" they tried to refine, because those are also still far from perfect (but at least those flow enough). Sonic's melee skills should be all about bouncing from one enemy to another and make those crash on others, etc. In other words, abuse movement speed and ricochet physics. SA2 was closer to good melee fights than Heroes or anything else after because of how homing attack and light speed dash worked, and there they weren't even trying.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List