don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Why is sarcasm so hard to convey over the internet :V

2. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    let's not forget, you had to unlock Knuckles in Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles by playing certain games a certain number of times (or, in practice, booting up the game and immediately quitting out...something like thirty times). I dunno about you but Knuckles playable in Sonic 2 and the full, true version of Sonic 3 are so basic to me now in terms of features that the idea of having to unlock them in a collection seems beyond the pale for me.

- Getting to play these versions of the games with actual buttons
    - Not needing to hop into your GPU's graphics settings to properly run CD
    - Not needing to download something off github or move files around to play a version of Sonic 3 & Knuckles that is up to the standards of the mobile ports
    - Not needing to pirate the mobile games to play them, on top of the github stuff

I consider "being able to run the games" and "not needing to do tech stuff out of the reach of most people" to be improvements to the core experience :V

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  3. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    In retrospect, having to play one game a certain amount of times before you could unlock bonus content was batshit insane. I would just sit there and start+close the game 40 times to cheese the system... I don't think I ever unlocked a game organically just by playing.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Because the amount of stupid opinions out there is staggering, even in the Sonic community.

Someone out there thinks that unironically, just like people think 06 and Shadow are good

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Americans, not westerners. Europe and Australia always had the worldwide version =P

Bingo, and here's the reason why it sucks - it's not the jump button, as irritating as not having the tactile feedback of a jump button is; it's the d-pad. I have to constantly look at it to confirm I've got my thumb in the right place and it ruins the experience.

6. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    IIRC to unlock 3K in Mega Collection you had to start both S3 and S&K 30 times. Had to start S2 & Spinball 20 times to unlock Knuckles in S2 and start S1 & 3D Blast like 15/20 times to unlock Blue Sphere. Tedious as fuck, lol. Should have all been playable straightaway without the need to unlock.

Last edited: May 19, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    I imagine a bonus feature would be to get to play Sonic 3 or Sonic and Knuckles separately (for the few people who actually prefer doing that) if you beat the whole lock-on game once in Origins. I understand that there are some music and gameplay differences for the games when playing them standalone, but would anyone still prefer to have that option for separate games or would you be fine with the locked on 3&K only?

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Personally I haven't played the games separately in probably at least a decade. Only reason I'd go to S3 alone is for music preferences but Sonic 3 Complete and then AIR made that need redundant

S&K doesn't have any fun differences it's just a more barebones 2nd half of the full version, and I always liked the S3 half more so I'd never play S&K solo.

9. Pengi

Pengi

It has the title screen and Knuckles chilling out and getting attacked by Egg Robo in Mushroom Hill Zone (but I'm sure Headcannon will add in an Angel Island Zone version).

10. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Pretty sure I've read exact comments like Joebro's from people who mean it 100% sincerely, lol.

I just feel bad for the poor kid out there whose first brush with the 2D Sonic series was like, Sonic 1 GBA. That person has to exist, right?

11. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    This is another divisive thing, because other people absolutely hate smooth rotations. Sure the 8-way system might give bizarre results on certain slopes (e.g. in SYZ), but I still prefer it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    I have at least one friend who's first experience with sonic 1 was the port for the original iPod. Poor guys...

13. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    I had that version on my iPod Video, played like ass. Still better than virtually anything on the Apple Arcade at the time though.

14. RikohZX

RikohZX

I do worry about the UI choices with every other game, honestly. Will Competition in 2 or 3&K have its own sub-menu setup or is it going to try to access native things, if they are there? Will Sonic CD have the new Sega UI on top for changing soundtracks or selecting modes, or the old port's reworked; would we even be able to toggle the soundtrack or the Spin Dash type at all?

I can estimate replacing all the Mobile UI stuff like what Forever and Absolute had to do, albeit they really didn't put much effort into what we saw so far, but what does that mean for 3&K's more unique Save system and overall UI across the board since that's what the Headcannon team is recreating more personally?

Plus things like level selects, sound tests and so forth that could end up being completely inaccessible without Dev Menu on PC.

15. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Smooth rotations look good in mania, since that game is meant to have them. It just feels uncanny in the genesis titles, however. If they were to have been implemented, an option toggle would have been the best way to do it, but its not a big loss.

16. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Smooth rotation means I can't do nothing and still fall into the emerald chamber of the first Special Stage in Sonic 1.

17. Xilla

Xilla

I fail to understand....I begin to see! Member
    Quick thought: If they're using the original MD music for Sonic 1 and 2 instead of the mobile remastered ones, I wonder if they'll be keeping the Sonic CD loop sections that were reinstated for some tracks in the Taxman version.

18. Kobz

Kobz

Down on the Upside Member
    FLA
    Remind me again how we confirmed they're not using the Taxman remasters? Seems odd they'd include "remastered" music from Chaotix/Spinball/3D in the music pack DLC (per the Xbox store, anyway) but not in ports of the mobile games that featured remastered soundtracks from day one.

19. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

In terms of criticising the package. I don't think Origins is bad at all. It's just one of those 'A man can dream' type of things. We all get kinda greedy with wishlists when speculating an upcoming game, doesn't mean we EXPECT it.

Like I'd love Advance style playable Amy and a four player mode for all the games, but I'm not banking on it happening or really gonna vote Origins down if it doesn't turn out to have either of them. Just fun to dream.

2 player vs mode for the games that actually had it is obviously a more reasonable concern however since it was something in the original and would be a downgrade not to have, though we don't know for sure if it's there or not right now.

Knuckles in CD is sort of a middle ground one for me. It doesn't HAVE to be there, but it does feel a bit.....off it isn't, given the consistency with the other games adding him in. It's like all the versions of Sonic 2 that didn't backport Tails' flying, it's not a neccessity, but you'd surely think they'd work on that empty spot over a lot of other extras.

20. Xilla

Xilla

I fail to understand....I begin to see! Member
    Just going by this observation from a few pages back, I've seen it mentioned a few times elsewhere too: