don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog Cinematic Universe Thread (& Knuckles)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, May 28, 2020.

1. I didn't say you did, I'm just speaking in general.

2. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    I wish we got this instead. It does such a better job at humanizing the town and showing Sonic's attachment to it. The way the original first act was itself seems like it handled things way better.

It seems like they took a lot of other really good scenes and compressed them into the final "Welcome to Green Hills", which I don't like mostly because it cuts the scene where Crazy Carl approaches Tom in the bar and relegates it to the Sanic gag when its purpose as a scene is to show where Tom's at with his role in the town.

Something like Sonic saying that the town needs him seems out of nowhere when it's not first expressed by one of its citizens.
    a lot of this kind of stuff was "streamlined" so much that it's almost a "telling but not showing" situation.

3. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    "look at all those Eggman's robots!"
    "My head is spinning!"

...it started with Heroes. Heroes is when no one ever shut the hell up. I hate to say it, but we've now had more Sonic titles now where they never stop talking than ones where they do.

"That tornado is carrying a car!"

4. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I'm starting to see a lot of HD quality clips appearing on YouTube. Has the film been leaked online already?

Spoilers if you haven't seen the movie yet.

Last edited: May 11, 2022
  5. Linkabel

Linkabel

Apparently the digital version got released early in South Korea and that's how people got it.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Huh, they stuffed some more effects in there too. Neat.

7. Shadic

Shadic

Olympia, WA
    Home improvement eternal
    Yeah, it's online.

Finally got to watch it (avoiding theaters with a 10-month old kid), and it was great. I think the first movie did a better job of explaining away why Sonic wasn't able to run fast as fuck half the time, and the second went a bit too hard with pop culture references.. But it was fun. Better than the first purely because Idris Elba was a fantastic Knuckles. And dear gods, it was the best characterization that Knuckles has had, ever.

And that after-credits scene. Wonderful.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I keep rewatching that sprite sequence at the end because I find it so charming. Little curious though why the sound effects were more arcadey and less Sonic though.

Also, while I loved the sequence overall... mushroom hill's ground pattern tiling is a mess for some reason. And that's really the only part of the sequence I'd consider "sloppy" everything else looked pretty great. I know it's Flying Battery zone pipes esq in nitpickyness but surely I wasn't the only one who noticed.

That being said @Boxer Hockey how cool is it seeing your name prominently featured in the credits of a movie? Hell I smiled seeing your name there. Well deserved though, you helped make a pretty great movie here.

9. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    Still mad the sign says 'Population: 1981' instead of 1991

10. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

It was actually a surprise from Jeff and the producers that they sprung on me in the final weeks of the movie. I was originally only hired to be Storyboard Supervisor and to do my usual character design work. But as the project went on I would take more and more tasks helping with so many areas of the movie that I ended up being one of the last out. I don't think I can even divulge how many things I got involved in, but it was a lot. Even so, I was fine with my original credit but I think it illustrates why I like working with this movie team so much. It's extremely uncommon for other producers to fight to give up some of their glory, and it isn't a quick or easy process to get someone credited as a producer. There's a lot of hoops to jump through but they went and did it without me even asking. So many others are quick to stuff everyone else down as long as they get their names in gold letters, but these people are the exact opposite.

11. Snowbound

Snowbound

I’m so happy to hear this story. You absolutely deserved that credit. I think this also demonstrates that the team who worked on the movie truly understood the film’s message of friendship. In my opinion the best Sonic stories wear their heart on their sleeves. This movie does that and now I know that it comes from a sincere place of kindness and mutual respect

12. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    That's amazing. Jeff seems like a really good guy.

13. Hydra Spectre

Hydra Spectre

Tails Fan Member
    Apparently, films leak digitally early in South Korea. Plus Sonic is super popular there so Paramount released the film early there.
    In Asia, Sonic is most popular in South Korea than in any other Asian country, even Japan.

Also, the Sonic movies weren't Sega's first movies.
    They previously co-produced the Neon Genesis Evangelion movies (Evangelion: Death(True)² and The End of Evangelion).
    Sega had no involvement in the Rebuild of Evangelion films, however.

To me, the Sonic the Hedgehog Cinematic Universe is my personal favourite Paramount film franchise alongside The Godfather Trilogy.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2022
  14. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    @Hydra Spectre I've literally just merged three of your posts together, don't post a second post if yours is the most recent one. The edit button exists, use it. Thanks!

15. https://screenrant.com/sonic-3-2-knuckles-shadow-villain-arc-changes/

I figured this was gonna happen after a few people brought it up here.

Personally Knuckles and Shadow's arcs have superficial similarities, but I get why someone who isn't really versed in Sonic lore and details would see their arcs as derivative of each other.

I like to think the Film makers understand the nuances and differences between both characters but I dunno.

16. AstroSeedP

AstroSeedP

They've already brought that up actually:

17. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    That article is ridiculous because they don't go as deep into what is actually so similar about Shadow's story to Knuckles' - They just list Shadow's story and are like "Yep, Shadow's is the same! Don't need to say anything else." It goes back to ignoring the fact that Shadow was manipulating Robotnik, and not the other way around, even if Robotnik thought he was. Knuckles as a character didn't want to do very bad things, he just wanted what he thought was right. Shadow wants to do very bad things.

Dragging Shadow through a villain arc would just draw more comparisons to Vegeta than he's already had and it discounts the writer's ability to show them the differences simply because they can't imagine anything else.
    Also it would just turn the entire series into a Shadow the Hedgehog series instead of making Sonic 3 a Shadow the Hedgehog movie.

18. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Do you guys think Shadow will debut with amnesia baked in? I wonder if they may amalgamate SA2 and ShtH to fill out the story more if he's going to be the main focus (though I really hope they do introduce Metal Sonic as a foil to both Sonic and Shadow).

19. Impish

Impish

Surely they replace Biolizard in the SA2 adaptation with Perfect Chaos? Chaos is way more iconic than Biolizard and connecting Shadow's Chaos Control somehow more directly with the emeralds makes more sense.

20. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Give me an edgy StH Paramount+ show with guns and violence, and then make Sonic 3 an adaptation of SA2 with StH's ending fight.