don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog IDW Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 22, 2018.

1. It is, it's a very odd choice. They currently seem to just be... counters? Opposites? Dunno the term, but Surge seems to be a Sonic-like that can tap into Tails's weaknesses, and Kit is a Tails-like that can tap into Sonic's weaknesses. Consider me interested. Especially since Trial by Fire and Imposter Syndrome are the two arcs building up to #50.

2. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member
    I think that maybe the new characters will be dealing with literal Imposter Syndrome. They won't be able to see themselves as nothing more than cheap copies of the originals.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

...Amy Rose? :V

4. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    G.U.N.

The series has a history of characters not looking like one another being mistaken for one another.

5. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    At least we have the hindsight of "Terios" looking a lot more like Sonic earlier in development, so it used to be a more acceptable mistake.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Pengi

Pengi

Hardcover editions of single issues (1-6), made for the library market:

https://abdobooks.com/shop/show/13180
    https://twitter.com/MattHerms/status/1436804116701925381

If you buy the Japanese version of graphic novel volume 5 from a Village Vanguard store, you'll receive a free sticker: http://blog.livedoor.jp/wise_staff/archives/68872304.html

It seems that previous version also had a sticker promotion.

Vol 1: https://twitter.com/wise_publishing/status/1260371376919023617
    Vol 2: https://www.village-v.co.jp/news/item/6833
    Vol 3: https://www.village-v.co.jp/news/item/8380
    Vol 4: https://www.village-v.co.jp/news/item/10238

7. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    Beware of spoilers :V
    In the last issue, Starline was examining Belle. Excited, he stated that her unique design/code will accelerate his own creations.

I assumed he was talking about Kit and Surge there. We know he's got Tails fur, we know the pair suspended in the tubes are based somewhat on Sonic and Tails.

Maybe I've read too much Spider-Man as a kid, but that's basically a clone story for me.

Of course I don't believe SEGA would allow to clone Sonic in a promotional comic, but as Dek stated above, a Fennec is a type of fox, and Tenrec is Hedgehog's "cousin".

So i believe the robot-like impostors are the closest thing that SEGA allows :V

8. But who says they're robots/robotic lol? Tails's fur indicated to me that they're organic. :p

9. ChaddyFantome

ChaddyFantome

So here is something to consider. Since we never see Starline get Sonic's DNA, (correct me if I am wrong) what if Surge is actually based on Amy? Next arc will feature her and the IDW crew. Perhaps Starline nabs her quill or something? Things to consider.

10. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Would make sense given that Surge is female…not that this seems to be adhering too strictly to realistic cloning. Oh god, what if Surge and Kit are just some poor delinquents Starline kidnapped off the streets, as Dr Gero did with Android 17 and 18 in DBZ?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. Forte

Forte

Poland
    And now I'm hearing Cell's singing Mr. Sandman like in TFS parody :V

But you guys may be on to something, surge somewhat resembles Amy. I still believe the clones are somewhat robotic, or at least bio-androids like in DBZ, because why else would Starline get so excited over duplicating Belle's code?

12. To simulate emotions and living thought processes in something that otherwise wasn't born with them- robotic or not.

I'm not ruling out that they're robots, I'm just personally leaning more towards organic creations- kinda like Shadow in a way.

13. Forte

Forte

Poland
    You might be right. Programming clones from robot code isn't something common in fiction I believe, but I can see Ian trying to work that angle.

14. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Actually, I think this might be Evan's gig primarily?

15. Pengi

Pengi

16. Oh wow, this has been building up for a while huh

17. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Bringing this back because I think the IDW book is criminally underdiscussed here and Imposter Syndrome #4 dropped today.

With the issue opening on a flashback to the Metal Virus Saga when Starline was still working under Eggman, I really like how his fanboy nature has been used to hold a lens to Eggman and explain some of his more questionable eccentricities. Back in the early runnings, it was "why doesn't Eggman just bomb Sonic and be done with it?", here it's "why all the theme park zones?". Starline continues to be a compelling character in his own right, but it was also fun to give Eggman someone who he could converse with almost as an equal. I think it's for the best that Starline struck out on his own early on to avoid him getting stuck in the Snively rut, but I don't think the short-lived dynamic he had with Eggman at that time will ever be recreated.

Now, onto the meatier stuff...
    Surge and Kit continue to be a joy to watch as a dark mirror of Sonic and Tails and I think they've now surpassed whatever Scourge could've brought to the table had he continued to persist in the Archie book. It's great to see them branch out with their abilities and show how Starline has attempted to make them superior to Sonic and Tails, with Kit being able to wrap his Hydro Coil around Surge to hitch a ride, and their combination attack against Metal Sonic is fantastic.

I do hope they foster a stronger bond in the long run. We're seeing the foundations for it given their commonality of being used by Starline and wanting to tear everything down because of it, but Surge is still pretty rude to Kit in a way that reminds me of the worst parts of Fleetway Sonic, and Kit's devotion towards Surge feels a little forced at the moment. He is programmed to pretty much live for her sake, but I think Surge really needs to have a moment where she really helps him, perhaps in an emotional manner in particular, to really cement why he'd want to stick around with her.

The climax of the story is a nice lead-in to issue 50 as well. Starline has taken over the Eggman Empire, Sonic, Tails and Belle are closing in fast, about to head into an unexpected battles with their supposed successors, and Eggman clearly isn't out of the fight yet, booting up the Egg Emperor to go a few rounds (confirmed by a cheeky "ALL SYSTEMS: FULL POWER" status message on his interior UI.

EDIT: Whoops, fluffed my references - "All systems: Full power!" is from Sonic Adventure, but the silhouette on the UI does match the Egg Emperor more than any other previous final boss mech.

Seems like this is setting the stage for an event as impactful as Endgame was back in the Archie days. Can't wait to see what happens!

18. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    Yeah, I struggle to find a lot to say on my own impulse but I totally agree. Starline continues to be utterly delightful, and Surge and Kit are AMAZING additions. VERY excited for what's next.

I think the things you point out about these two are very intentional. Remember, we've literally *just* met them; they can't go through a complete arc before they're even fought our heroes!

19. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    I realise that and I'm trying to keep sight on it but I guess when these comics only come out once a month it's easy to get impatient...

20. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    Of course, that's one of the biggest issues with comics as a medium. I think it's doubly impacted by the fact everything's moving half as slow as it usually does due to two concurrent plotlines; we didn't have that issue with Bad Guys or T&W's miniseries, so I wonder if they just wanted to be 100% sure #50 came out at the right time.

One other thing I realised I've been sitting on that I DO have the wherewithal to talk a bunch about: There were a few things about Belle's introduction that wasn't ideal, but "season 3" pivoting around her journey in and out of the foreground of things is a really smart approach. It's a great way to keep her development simmering without making her unreasonably present, and her entire deal being the culmination of an early arc is one of those things that really helps IDW come into its own as a universe with refracting consequences for past events. On that point, no notes.