don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. They’re using Denuvo to prove that you didn’t alt-tab out to GameFAQs.

2. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    If this is responding to my preceding post, that doesn't contradict my argument. Preorder-only DLC is not limited in quantity because nothing is being manufactured and shipped. It's simply an artificial incentive for players to pay for the game pre-release. The player still gets no practical benefit from preordering digital games when no physical product is accompanying it.

3. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    I don't see why Sega wouldn't add anything other than the Mega Drive titles to Sonic Origins. If it's a matter of the games being old and they lack the time to properly remaster the games themselves, projects like the Sonic SMS remakes and Sonic 3D Blast: Director's Cut exist. Sega could've pulled a Mania/mobile port stunt and invited the creators behind them to help out with the game.

Then again, I'd rather see these projects be free for everyone to enjoy than face the possibility of being forced to only be accessible on some compilation.

4. Oh, man.... I'm imagining a PC user who's new to Sonic 3 that has to put up with the barrel AND Denuvo. Hahaha

5. Snowbound

Snowbound

3D Blast is on steam but currently aren’t the SMS games only available in SADX and the 3DS eshop? Not everyone has $40 to spend on Origins & I agree that it’s very crummy of Sega to delist individual releases of the games in origins... but this post feels dangerously close to proving that there’s some validity to this:
    it sucks that Sega is shitting on historic preservation by delisting the original roms... but there is real value in Sega hiring and PAYING fans! I honestly feel like this point is getting lost in the conversation.

Since 3D Blast is the only one of those games that can be individually purchased on computers I personally would view remakes being included on Origins (and the originals not being released elsewhere) as the better outcome in your hypothetical scenario since the devs would be LEGALLY COMPENSATED for their work. Tho I would not say it is the ideal scenario as Sega should not be forcing us to chose between supporting fans and supporting historic preservation.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Londinium

Londinium

The SMS games have been getting remastered by a small team for the better part of 4 years. For example, this is their Sonic 1 SMS remake: https://sonic-sms-remake.blogspot.com/p/one.html

Genuinely opened my eyes there for a second, it didn't even cross my mind. Thanks, Snowbound.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  7. Pengi

Pengi

Sonic 1 SMS Remake took so many liberties that it ended up becoming a radically different game. Even more so for Sonic 2 SMS Remake.

The approach they took has more in common with Sonic Mania than Sonic Origins.

8. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Maybe the real Barrel of Doom was the friends we made a long the way.

9. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    One of the screenshots shows some of the missions for Sonic 1. The vertical blue bar indicates we can see about half of the S1 missions (and need to scroll down to see the rest). Lets assume all the missions (in this screenshot) have been unlocked and that it doesn't include the 11 hard missions available in the digital deluxe version, so it looks like each game will have about 16 missions. If we then include the hard ones; Origins will have about 75 missions in total which seems like a decent amount. Whether they will be much of a challenge (as apparently indicated by the number of yellow stars) remains to be seen.

[​IMG]

I get the impression the normal missions will be replaying acts with unaltered layouts, whereas the hard missions will have new layouts. I wonder if all 11 hard missions will be for 3K only?

The screenshot of the Knuckles' Death Egg hard mission confirms a one minute time limit (time at top left says 0:21 but the time in the middle of the screen says 0.39 - which I believe is counting down). Also says at the top right the time we need to beat to earn an S rank.

[​IMG]

I appreciate the effort being put into Origins. With the different modes & missions it's gonna have a good amount of replay value. Not saying this justifies the price, but there's plenty of content to keep me coming back.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
  10. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Oh hey, an official way to play Death Egg with Knuckles that isn't debug! That's rad as hell.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  11. Londinium

Londinium

Oh God, I suck at maneuvering Knuckles' glide, this picture gives me anxiety

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    The missions almost seem to work like Generations mission's weirdly enough.

13. That’s the vibe I got from looking at them. I never appreciated them on release, as they just seemed to prevent me from seeing the actual levels, but upon a recent run for the platinum trophy, I grew pretty fond of them. Looking forward to any new content for these games tho TBH.

As for those SMS remakes, I completely forgot they existed. I think I’m going to install 1 on my Vita later. Has anyone here played it on there?

14. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    Yea, the missions in Generations were actually some of my favorite parts of the game. They were either short and sweet gimmick levels or full level runs against a developer ghost, which are both fun ways to remix existing content and/or encourage you to get better at it aside from a cosmetic letter rating.

15. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    I pointed out a number of pages back how the Generations missions were actually pretty decent in their own right. Filler content for the game sure, but if something in that level of quality is produced as optional content, it could make for some fun challenges. We can already see new layouts and tiles being made for them in that Knuckles/Death Egg challenge.

16. corneliab

corneliab

I'm honestly not interested in the missions at all. I'll probably skip these entirely unless there's some kind of interesting-enough reward tied to them.

17. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

My only gripe with the missions in Generations was that many of them focused on platforming despite the engine being ill-suited for it. The classic formula shouldn't suffer from that problem. Plus this time we have Tails and Knuckles' abilities thrown in the mix. I expect these missions to be a fun and welcome addition, especially since the original games didn't have much in the way of side content.

18. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    • Informative Informative x 7
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  19. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
  20. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Yeah, I actually got an email about that ans swiped it as soon as I could.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List