don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    One of the parts of this package that I'm excited most about is that thing about paying for retries at special stages with coins. I've never gone beyond the second emerald in Sonic 2 or even seen super Sonic without cheating. I have finished Sonic 1, CD and 3 & Knuckles with all emeralds but never as Tails or Knuckles. This is my opportunity to catch-up... as an adult gamer that doesn't have time for grinding so paying for retries with coins will be much easier

2. RikohZX

RikohZX

I'm actually really curious how the Missions work since the sole Knuckles in Death Egg screenshot makes it seem like they can customize layouts too. A bit more developed than, say, Mega Man Legacy Collection just warping you between level segments and bosses.

Makes me curious if, once we understand how that whole thing separate of the Retro Engine works, we could mod in our own missions or replace the pre-existing ones.

3. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

I think they're a cool idea, actually. I just hope there's enough variety and substance to them. I'm not expecting them to be super substantial, but they could make for a fresh revisit similar to Encore Mode. Even if it's just a bunch of short little tasks to complete in given areas, it could still be fun to practice for good times. I enjoyed the missions of Colors on the DS, after all.

4. Linkabel

Linkabel

I kind of think they'll be like the Generations missions with time attacks, ring/item collector, special trials etc etc and altering the level design for them.

5. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    It seems they completely removed the pre-order button for Switch on the Origins website.

6. Not surprising - last I checked you can’t preorder stuff on the switch eShop at all…

7. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Then you’ve not checked in a long old while. It wasn’t an available option at launch but was added fairly quickly. I don’t known who’s responsible, but games go up for pre-order pretty close to their release date, anecdotally speaking.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  8. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    The Japanese stream revealed nothing new unfortunately.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  9. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    I'm excited for Origins, but I just don't like paying real money for digital games. I'll get it if they make a physical edition.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I get the sentiment but I wouldn't hold your breath for that

11. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    Unfortunately, my friend, this is the 21st century. Physical media has been slowly phasing out for digital. I mean, when was the last time you bought a CD? Or went shopping for a new movie? The fact Mania was not released physically at first should be the writing on the wall.

12. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Yeah I'm not holding my breath for a physical edition, but I rarely buy digital only games. Sometimes I'll buy an indie game digital since they rarely get physical releases, but Origins may be a pass for me. Or I'll get it when it's severely marked down.

I definitely don't understand pre-ordering digital games.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    I feel like IGN/Polygon/insert-media-outlet writers often have to take some sort of jab like that, even when it's completely unrelated to the point or subject matter of the article. It can never just be unbiased, objective news reporting; it has to be some kind of reflection of the author's preference, which I find really disingenuous. I know it's not really an important or impactful article, but still... this is... news, right?

What's funny is a lot of them can't seem to agree on what the "only good Sonic games" are, or some will argue that none were ever good. It reminds me of that IGN panel (I can't remember which one; it might've been for Mania?) where the 3 co-hosts argue for several minutes about this subject. One of them said there hadn't been a good Sonic game since XYZ, then one argued that there arguably were NEVER any good Sonic games, and then I believe there was one actual Sonic fan just existing awkwardly in the same room as them. Horrifyingly unprofessional IMO, especially when it's your job to bring actual news to fans of these games and hype them up for new releases.

On that drop dash subject though, I'll be kinda sad if they really did remove insta shield or force a toggle like some people mentioned. Those orbinauts in Launch Base are hard to deal with without insta shield, but I'd also like to be able to drop dash. Tough scenario

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
  14. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    Game Scoop? Yup. Blokes made some of the worst jokes I've ever heard.
    'All Sonic fans want to fuck Big The Cat!!!' God that line is repulsive.
    While they were talking about Mean Bean Machine (for some reason) the big buff brainless one says 'Ah yes, I loved starring as the player in that game.' I feel like even his co-hosts thought that joke was so bad they threw in a pity laugh.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
  15. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    That's the one! :eng99:

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It's definitely a stupid practice. At least Colors Ultimate pre ordering let you play the game a few days early, thats a kinda neat perk. But this just holds content until later if you don't preorder it (prob have to unlock certain modes with coins)

I mean I hate this stuff but good god at least this isn't a "timed release" like Super Mario 3D All Stars where they just pull the game after a certain date for no good reason (I mean technically that's what they're doing now delisting the older titles but at least those have been around for 10 years as opposed to 6 months, plus they're being swapped out with Origins. SM3DAS was replaced by nothing). Artificial digital scarcity what a joke

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    if they're gonna try to be "lemony" about a specific series, it'd at least be less annoying if that were like that with everything. and yet no, they're straight-faced reporting on WoW's new expansion despite their company's terrible shit lately. they're straight-faced reporting on Pokemon GO's new Mega Energy changes despite the game's persistent anti-consumer changes. but SONIC LOL

18. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

You fell for it. You fell for it hook, line and sinker.

The "digital deluxe" version of Colours Ultimate was released four days earlier than the retail and standard digital versions. What that actually meant was that you were paying for the privilege of getting the game a few days early whilst it was just held back for everyone else. It wasn't even a pre-order perk.

19. Okamikurainya

Okamikurainya

Somewhere in Africa
    Sonic: Time Attacked - MAX
    No Knuckles in CD is a deal breaker for me.
    If it's a "No Andrew Garfield in No Way Home" situation, I'll pick it up later... But they lost a preorder with that gambit. I technically have the superior versions of the games already.

I don't understand the decision, it just seems like some stodgy old executive getting in the way of actual substantial new features.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yea, I did, and I'll probably do it here too as stupid as it :eng99:

But only once! I'll double dip at a later date :V but if it's a game I'm excited about I'll probably pre-order because I know I'm going to like it anyway so might as well secure said content. I may be a tad bit of a sucker in that case but it's not like I do it all the time. Really it's mostly just Sonic and it's because I want to play it asap because I'm a dork.