don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

lolwut? Fans had been asking for PC and console ports of the mobile remasters of Sonic 1 and 2 since they came out, as well as an S3K remaster. With Origins we're finally getting that and more. Of course we'd be hyped.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 16
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  2. Metalwario64

Metalwario64

With delisting the original versions, Sega's convinced me they're really trying to be as AAA as possible. That stupid Origins spreadsheet and now this (flashbacks to Rockstar delisting the original GTA titles in favor of their "remasters". Even if those were solid remasters, I still wouldn't agree with delisting the originals).

Before anyone says that I'm badmouthing the devs, I'm not. I'm sure Origins will be really awesome on its own. This is all Sega corporate.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
  3. Josh Cristan

Josh Cristan

I trust Stealth implicitly! I just don't trust the Sega suits to not creep up behind him and say things like "Are you adding new and interesting content to the games? Right, then stop it!".

4. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Ugh, I'm very excited about Origins but delisting older versions of the games is some lame shit.

I'd have more sympathy if there was a genuine effort all along to just have one version of each game available (because I know for a fact this is the kind of thing that causes mass and unnecessary confusion for average schmucks who don't care about the differences), but I know that's not the angle here. You'll still be able to purchase Sonic 2 on Switch separately four times (the Genesis collection, Sega Ages, the NSO Expansion Pack, and now Origins).

5. Sega didn't waste a single second Nickle and diming people the second they earned just a little bit of good will from the movies.

I'm not shocked or disappointed, I'm just laughing at how blatant it is after being on the shitter for so many years.

Got arrogant real fast.

6. ELS

ELS

Think it's pretty lame that they're not confirming Knuckles for CD. Fans hacked that in so quick, how hard can it be? It's not even like he'd have cutscenes. Just do it like Tails.

7. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    "so fast"? then why is the Knuckles in Sonic CD 2011 mod I was recommended only a year old?

if anything, it was character mods in Mania that were much faster. I remember seeing that Miku-in-a-Sonic-Suit one like a couple weeks after the game came out on PC.

8. Hamzawesome

Hamzawesome

Sonic Mania should've been enough for Sega to realize that people want more classic Sonic games.

9. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    L + cringe + ratio + wrong + unbased

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. RikohZX

RikohZX

I think it's because of the decompilation efforts that he could be added in. Now that people are more familiar with Retro Engine thanks to the Mania boom, though, the biggest factor is updating things for the new engine version and understanding what does what, because we have quite a long period of time working with it to understand how to mod it now unless things changed hard.

11. Welp, seems like my original statement about Origins being the next Mega Collection to be pushed to the masses was true.

12. corneliab

corneliab

Sega delisting the games is a very bad call, especially since the 3&K remaster simply won't be as feature-rich as Angel Island Revisited. Like, it's just not gonna happen. I really wish companies would stop pulling this shit when new compilations release since whatever meager amount of money is being saved (if that) cannot be worth the bad PR and headaches from fans.

Also, I can't roll my eyes harder at this "haha old people buying Sonic 1 again" horseshit I've been seeing. It really shouldn't have to be explained the appeal that this particular collection has: it's the first time a lot of these actually-remastered, true PORTS are being let out of mobile jail, 3&K is getting one too, and they're all together. Shitting on people for being excited for this is so pathetic that's it's embarrassing, and I gotta assume some of you are just petty and clueless.

13. Snowbound

Snowbound

I feel legitimately bad for Headcanon. They finally come back just for Sega corporate to pull the dlc, drm and delisting shit and not mention them in the trailer.

I’m still really excited for Origins but delisting the other ports are a crummy move from both a historic preservation and a consumer perspective. If someone JUST wants to buy Sonic CD then they should be allowed to. Up till this point I felt that the arguments that Origins was too expensive were bunk given the new 3K remake, original cutscenes and extra content... but now I’m starting to see their point as Sega is taking away cheaper options to individually buy the game.

14. Josh Cristan

Josh Cristan

Clueless about what? I thought this was SonicRetro, where everyone has these games memorised down to the last forensic detail. Let's not be boy scouts about it, Sonic 3 AIR exists, as does Sonic 1 Forever and 2 Absolute, if Sega finally giving youse permission to play them officially is the reason for peoples excitement, then cool, you do you. I personally need more to justify giving Sega any rings for this - I'll see what they mean by "explore new areas" first I guess.

15. corneliab

corneliab

If you genuinely can't see why people would be enthusiastic about owning an official collection of these well-loved remasters (especially if they want to play them on console, like I do), there's not much more for me to say to you. I'm pretty sure you do know this though, and just want to be an abrasive fucking dick to people. "Boy scouts", "permission to play", lmfao. fuck you

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ehh idk I guess it's scummy I just can't bring myself to care that much knowing that like 5 months after launch Sonic Origins will be priced at like $20 or less forever. I don't really see how this will effect AIR either, you'll just need a ROM from somewhere and it's not like Nintendo games they're easy to find.

I kinda see it as somewhat quality control too. Like why play the emulated ROM for $2 when the enhanced collection exists, and if you still want to play the ROM then find the ROM. I doubt SEGAs going to start going after that now. Also who knows? Maybe legal music stuff? If Origins did replace the Michael Jackson tracks, maybe a condition was to take down the other version once there was a viable replacement? Idk

Sonic CD is a little weirder as that was its own thing, but it's starting to show its age so I kinda get it. Plus Origins CD is basically 2011 CD with extra features and bug fixes so not a huge loss.

17. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

How can I get the new Tyson Hesse animations, story mode and missions in those?

And yes, I'm aware this is just a troll account you registered yesterday.

18. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    The 2011 PC version of CD is basically unplayable if you aren't using the decomp (which I assume most consumers don't even know exists) so I can't say I'm terribly disappointed about that being delisted. That being said, I don't think delisting the OG ROMs is the right call. Will Origins be the superior way to play those games? Yes, of course it will. Should people still have the option to check out the originals? Yes, they should.

+ - goddammit George Lucas :V  

19. Josh Cristan

Josh Cristan

From a collectors standpoint, yeah I get it, totally! Gameplay wise... not so much. Like I said, I'll reserve judgement and see what new stuffs they put in there, and will gladly eat humble pie if I'm wrong.

20. RDNexus

RDNexus

Excuse my ignorance...
    What's Sonic 1 Forever and Sonic 2 Absolute?
    I don't think I've ever seen such topics in here...