don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    Yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking they'll do. Just give a visual of a control stick moving up and down and that should probably be enough to nudge people in the right direction.

I just find it really funny that so many of us have a shared experience of not knowing how those barrel things even worked lol

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Honestly I don't have any issues with the main level at all. The "blocky steps" are just one of the unique features of the terrain that every level in Classic series has. Whether its just recency bias or not, every time I played through S2 mobile I would always choose to go to HPZ when I got to it. The only problem I had was the boss fight being a real slog, which incidentally ended up being one of my biggest points of criticism when Mania came out also.

Nah, adding in that sort of obtuse visual aids is approaching the problem in the wrong way. The thing is, those barrels exist elsewhere in the level, and yet only the stationary ones can be manipulated with the directional buttons. They can also be manipulated by jumping, but it's far less effective and borderline impossible to get through that section by jumping. It's unclear what to do. The mechanic of manipulating the barrels is only used in that one area. Nowhere else in the Classic games do they need to include such blatant instructions on how to pass through an area. The best thing that they could do would be to either remove it (in anniversary mode at least) because it adds nothing to the level, replace it with one that move automatically or simply make it possible to clear that room by jumping.

Slapping on an instructional diagram would feel incredibly tacky. And ultimately it would accomplish nothing, because that room was intended to be a small puzzle. Whilst you only have to solve that problem once and will then know the solution on subsequent playthroughs, there's absolutely no point in a puzzle that spells out the answer for you.

I'm sure that this discussion has been had a thousand times in past, but how did everyone get through the barrel in the past? I normally played as Knuckles so it wasn't usually a problem for me. And like many other kids I'm sure, getting through the MGZ2 boots as Tails was impossibly difficult for me so I didn't ever come across the problem with him.

But for Sonic? I was stuck there for the longest time. Eventually a friend of mine had the bright idea of carrying a bubble shield through to that point and and mashing that to just barely give Sonic enough space to squeeze through a gap on the right. We Time Overed the first time we managed it, which put us back at a checkpoint with no way to get a new shield, so we had to restart the entire zone. You either had to hold a bubble shield through to that point or get one from the last checkpoint (which meant manipulating your ring count to avoid the slot machine game). I knew that the bubble shield couldn't possibly be the intended solution because it was so circumstantial and only worked for Sonic, but like everyone else I just never figured out the solution.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
  3. I was 5 years old playing it on the S&K Collection and can vividly remember getting annoyed about it, but I don't recall how long I was stuck or if I figured it out myself or asked my dad.

I do remember feeling like an idiot though when I made it through!

4. MastaSys

MastaSys

I think there is no cleaner solution than to let the player move both the barrel with the character's jump momentum and up/down for us old farts used to the older behaviour.

5. I honestly hope they include it in the boss rush.

6. Honestlty, the best solution I think of for barrel in Carnival Night 2 is just make the plataform move to up and down like the other ones.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Xilla

Xilla

My personal solution would just be to have the solution in a hint box if you pause the game in that area.

8. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

They could tweak its behavior so that it's actually possible to push it down enough to bypass it by jumping. That's what we all tried to do at first.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Fadaway

Fadaway

I remember!

10. RDNexus

RDNexus

I'm not sure if anyone noticed, since I tend to skim through topics "^^
    The game's main menu seems to give focus up to six classic titles.

Check the top left of both images:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They may be holding stuff up their sleeves...

11. The second pic makes me believe it's just Sonic 1, CD, 2, 3K, Mission, Options.

Edit: Actually it's probably the museum, not options.

12. RDNexus

RDNexus

Now that you mention it...
    You may actually be right.
    Still, the Museum menu may have a 6th 3D location.

13. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    upload_2022-4-24_17-18-32.png
    Probably this fustercluck.

• Like Like x 11
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. RDNexus

RDNexus

Or this one...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
  15. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    @RDNexus Image is borked, at least on my end.

16. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

The mission mode screen leaves me thinking they might have Spinball as an easter egg or something, likely not to the same scale as the other four though.

17. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    It'd be extremely neat if so, but all we've got as evidence so far is the fortress representing options mode and the music being available via DLC. Now, those aren't nothing, but you think something like this would've been advertised. At any rated, if we do get Spinball as a bonus, I reckon we'll also get 3D Blast and Chaotix, all emulated. I would be very interested in seeing the 3D Blast Director's Cut be offered to but I don't know what legal complications that could cause, if any.

18. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Chaotix being in this would be the dream (given its inaccessibility), but at this point I'm not getting my hopes up.

Still, the music DLC does make one wonder. There are obviously unlockable extras in the museum we don't know about yet (including supposedly never before "publicly" seen design documents, concept art, or something that's been discussed)

The choice of those 3 OSTs does at least make it 'possible' they're somehow included, but again, I'm not getting my hopes up here.

19. RDNexus

RDNexus

They seem normal to me, so I don't know.
    Try to open the images on separate pages.