don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Since Sonic Origins is defining CD's placement, I'm asking:

Will there be the seventh Chaos Emerald in Sonic 1?
    If so, will this be considered a retcon and now we should understand that Sonic 1 did have 7 Chaos Emeralds in-lore?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    On split screen, didn’t the PSN listing already confirm the game as being 1-2 players?

@raphael_fc I believe through cheats/unlocks you could get 7 Chaos Emeralds in the Sonic 1 remaster, but I doubt they’d care to retcon it as being anything more than a fun bonus.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I assume that is just for 1.5 play, where Tails follows Sonic/Knuckles in 1P.

However, it could very well be that they are keeping things under wrap to announce later and split-screen is hopefully one of those things. After all, they haven't mentioned Drop Dash even though there are signs of Sonic being able to do it, so they aren't showing everything yet. Fingers crossed!

4. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I’m not sure why the CD placement makes a difference to the number of emeralds in Sonic 1, however no, I don’t think they would do this as it’s already established that Sonic 2 debuted Super Sonic and that’s one of the defining features of that game.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I can't say any of this for sure but I feel like Anniversary mode will include all the extras from the mobile ports enabled by default (elemental shields, extra moves, Sonic 1's 7th chaos emerald and Super Sonic, physics more in line with Mania) while Original mode removes all that, possibly along with the new routes and other physics changes so they're more in line with their Original games (so like roll air lock stuff, the spike bug behavior in Sonic 1, etc)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    It doesn't. I was referring to the fact that SEGA is using Origins to define one aspect of the lore (CD's placement), so other aspects could be defined as well.

7. I hope for Sonic 3 & Knuckles, the Anniversary mode let's Sonic and Tails fight Big Arms in Launch Base like Sonic 3 Complete does. If it doesn't, not the end of the world, but would be nice. Either way, I'm psyched for this release!

8. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Honestly I'd be fine with this. Or, as in Mania post-patch, a settings menu that allowed you to change these settings whenever you feel like it. Origins is respecting the original games a lot already with Classic mode (plus the years upon years of emulated versions), so going all out with the retroactive additions and enhancements in Anniversary mode is great.

And I just want to re-iterate how much I'm looking forward to Origins now that it's been properly unveiled. Yes, it's just the Classics again at its core. Yes, there are ways to play brilliantly enhanced versions of the Classics already. And yes, my favourite playable character still isn't playable in CD even though he would make the exploration significantly more enjoyable. But man, this is the real deal. SEGA are finally doing right by the old games in a way that everyone will be able to effortlessly enjoy. They're including full 3D renditions of all the Classic setting that were alluded to for the first time in forever during Tails Tube. And they're adding in some absolutely gorgeous animated sequences as well as a story more that bridges together all the Classics. I seriously cannot fucking waitI

Also there's mirror mode (with a correctly orientated HUD). That's going to be a really fun way to add a fresh twist.

9. Snowbound

Snowbound

It’ll be interesting to see how they handle super forms in story mode. Will there be super forms in Sonic 1 and CD? Will there be 7 emeralds in Sonic 1? Will they go the 3K route and have u loose the emeralds after each game’s portion? We’ll find out.

Honestly this sounds more like a premise for Mania 2... and given the team that worked on Origins it’s very plausible that this is the direction this team could go in Mania 2. Afterall they got the guy who was working on that Mania styled Sonic Chaos remake to join Headcannon for Origins:

That said there are also rumors that sega was considered a 2D modern sonic game and that is a direction the origins team could potentially tackle:

https://soahcity.com/2022/03/16/rumor-unannounced-2d-modern-sonic-title-has-been-cancelled/

I’ve said this before, and I respect that other folks have different preferences, but bring Jaleel White back baby!

Honestly I think this would be a great idea for newcomers. The elemental shields make a lot of the more Marioy levels in Sonic 1 much more fun. Looking at u marble and labyrinth zone

I’m aware of the Knuckles mod for Sonic CD (2011). I imagine that legally using a mod or fan work in an official game is more complicated than we think. I also wonder if their awareness of this mod lowered the desire to get Knuckles in CD for Origins. Since CD is on steam this potentially could keep sales going for the game after Origins... tbc I have no evidence suggesting this and I am not proclaiming that this is what happened. I’m just raising a possibility.

That would be AWESOME! If they did this then I hope they also throw in all the videos that were included with Sonic Jam like Man of The Year

10. The fact that they have the best versions of the games and I can play them on my Switch on the go.

Its pretty good overall.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    @Snowbound they wouldn't be using the mod though, they'd rebuild it themselves. I mean they have the code to all 4 games and Mania couldn't they just port the Knuckles object over from another game they made back to CD?

I'm talking out my ass I have no idea how it works, but regardless they'd be fine putting Knuckles in if they want to. Only if they reused the custom sprites then maybeee, but why use them they aren't that great (I mean no offense to the creators of said mod, I've played it, it's overall great work, but yea I'm sure this team'll be fine with their talent).

12. YuTwo

YuTwo

Since I was the one who brought it up all the way back on page 65 I suppose I should say a bit more about this. I will agree that not that many people will notice this omission in Knuckles gameplay as I don’t ever see this brought up often anywhere else as far as I know. I’m not a speedrunner + - (at least I don’t consider myself one but then again I have also been dedicated to playing the classic games "hardcore" since I first picked them up on the Nintendo DS Classic Collection so I have about a decade of experience playing them at this point)   but I think it feels much smoother that Knuckles is able to spindash after dropping from a glide so that’s why it won’t feel right for me if it’s gone in this version’s release of Sonic 3 but I will have to get used to it if that is the case.

To give credit where it is due it was @Josh who helped point this out by providing that article from Fred Bronze here:
    https://forums.sonicretro.org/index...e-next-2d-sonic-game.39751/page-3#post-972431

I would have felt crazy if I didn’t know of that article's existence. To see someone else who is more technically knowledgeable explain it was so relieving. I noticed the ability was gone in Sonic Mania but I didn’t know how to explain it or if anyone else would have understood what I would be saying.
    [​IMG]
    You know that reminds me that the Eggrobo tease for Knuckles campaign was only shown for the ending of Super Sonic since it was initially for Sonic & Knuckles so I think for this collection they should also show it for when you complete the game with Sonic having all the Super Emeralds as well. Given that only the Chaos Emeralds were obtainable in Sonic & Knuckles alone it makes sense as to why this scene appears only in Super Sonic's ending.

I mean how many people run through Sonic 3 & Knuckles by only just getting all the Chaos Emeralds and not going for 100% completion with the Super Emeralds though. It would be great to see this even with all the Super Emeralds obtained as it sets up Knuckles campaign and it’s a shame most people will likely miss this as I did myself until I discovered this tease later by trying to get the Super Sonic portrait in the file select.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    god I hate repeating myself. it is extremely likely that the people handling the "wrapping" (the menus etc) are entirely different people from them handling the games, because they're two totally different contexts

similarly, would people here want the headcannon team to spend more time making S3&K in the retro engine...or cutting out some of that time to do their own porting of Knuckles into CD and playtesting it, fixing bugs with that?

14. Turbohog

Turbohog

I think Sega could've afforded to pay HeadCannon more to include Knuckles in Sonic CD since they're selling Origins for $40/$45. :)

15. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    I didn't say shit about money. :) Time - and also not crunching people - is a huge factor in tech logistics. Not to mention project scope - if Sega doesn't want a huge amount of modifications to be made to a really, really old Retro Engine remake, they're not going to include that in what they'll even allow Headcannon to be paid/given time to work on anyway. I can't work on something willy-nilly at work no matter how much I'd prefer it - imagine the chaos if my PHP-coding ass would just write my company's tests in PHP because I wanted to!

16. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Add me to the list of people who noticed Knuckles' spin dash behaviour.

17. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I mean, it makes sense that the cliffhanger stinger would only appear in Super Sonic's ending. Sonic got the Chaos Emeralds but didn't upgrade them to Super, so they're still "just" Chaos Emeralds by Knuckles' story. If he upgraded them, then logically they should still be Super Emeralds by Knuckles' story. The fact they're not would cause a continuity issue.

The way I see it, Knuckles' campaign is only meant to take place if you didn't upgrade them as Sonic. If you did, there is no scene with that Eggrobo surviving and Knux's story doesn't need to happen.

Besides, I like the way it works already. I prefer Sonic's best ending to have finality, rather being a cliffhanger.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
  18. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Super left field prediction, but I reckon we could get the long awaited continuation to man of the year as a bonus feature, likely done by Tyson and Powerhouse.

19. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    It's taken me a while to post my thoughts on Origins. Mostly because I was surprised by how good it is. Essentially I think it's excellent and raises the bar for retro collections. I've been really taken aback.

As someone who loves the Mobile remasters, I'm glad they are still respecting the original games in Classic Mode. I still like playing the original games in 6:9 ratio and in a 'pure' manner. The Switch emulations have been a lot of fun. But to get to play the games that way in 60 FPS is a huge boon and a reason to buy the game. Its not how the game originally played but it just makes it more pleasant to play while respecting the games original design. I'm completely down for it.

And I love what they've done for Anniversary Mode. I personally think the Coins idea is brilliant. Gives a reason for farming lives abd rings. I like the way they can be used to retry Special Stages too. I love it when playing a Retro collection contributes to unlocking Museum content. I hope they have some good stuff worth unlocking in the Museum.

The presentation is also excellent. The animated cutscenes is obviously great and the 3D islands are a nice touch.

I'm personally excited for Mission Mode. I hope they put some effort into it. Initial screenshots seem promising.

There are negatives. It's too expensive. I think £30 is reasonable. But them retro collections have become extortionate in recent years. The DLC is really dumb.

But in sum, this is really excellent.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    By the way, I win. I called this almost one year ago.