don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Hamzawesome

Hamzawesome

Blame Sega for their weird chart and anti-consumer practices. If anything they're the ones who are trying to make Origins fail.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Good lord, the hate/misunderstandings about the extras is super real elsewhere. I shouldn't be playing around in public comments sections very much to begin with, but man, I really gotta stay outta those for a while.

On a positive note: every time I rewatch the trailer I get more excited for the new story content. Thank goodness this is only a couple months away.

3. Wondering if we're still getting a Sonic Central to maybe show a little of Origins gameplay / content, Sonic Prime stuff and then, Frontiers official trailer (?).

4. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    I remember the complaints but I also remember people ended up just buying it anyways. It's one of the top selling Nintendo Switch game of all time. 10 million copies sold in 9 months is an incredible achievement and the Nintendo complainers were a vocal minority.

I can actually see people in the Sonic community not buying this over the price.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Yuzu

Yuzu

Thank you so much! This is so cool!

6. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    I even remember seeing people complaining about the 3d all stars collection. I bought the collectiong myself mainly because I wanted to play Mario Sunshine and didn't have my own copy.

7. Snowbound

Snowbound

Let me clarify my point. Sega proudly slapped the Taxman and Headcannon logos on the Mania trailer... but they ain’t in the Origins trailer. Because Sega did not credit the folks who made Origins in the trailer, that’s not the main crux of the media coverage they are getting. Instead the main headlines are about Sega’s shitty practices.

I understand that you have a different view on the retro engine ports and I really enjoyed your posts elaborating on why you dislike them. But I wanna clarify: I am not saying that the game is above criticism because of who worked on it. I’m saying that Sega is responsible for the poor PR they are getting and that’s unfortunate because there was a better narrative they could have encouraged which was the return of the Mania devs. And listen I respect your dislike of the retro engine remakes, but a large portion of the fanbase has been begging for a Mania 2. The return of the mania team on any project SHOULD’VE been an easy way to get good press.... but Sega’s gotta Sega.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  8. nesboy43

nesboy43

I'm glad Sonic fans are critical vs Nintendos poor emulation thats been happening since the Wii U Virtual Console.

I think any sadness or anger comes from the fact that this is potentially a dream product in so many ways but with manufactured shortcomings.

You have so much huge potential that is seemingly being dragged down by weird decisions.

I don't blame the developers, they don't make business decisions.

Sega is giving us classic Sonic fans what we want, but then they

1) Lock options such as animations and missions behind DLC, instead of just making pricing the game 5 dollars more.

2) Make the widescreen editions of the games use a weird unexplained coin system instead of rings.

3) Use terrible anti piracy software on PC that is resource intensive

4) Not provide a physical option for collectors, but I'm sure they will in a year so people will double dip

As a Sonic fan this collection should be the best thing ever. And it COULD be, but there's so many unanswered questions that should have been communicated better.

At this point we have no idea if the classic roms will be in classic mode or if it is the retro engine ports in 4:3 without the extra characters/levels.

We have no idea if anniversary mode even uses rings, the gameplay mechanic Sonic has always used, as all messaging is about a "coin mode" that has never been part of any Sonic game.

As a huge Sonic fan the trailer gave me such high hopes but now I'm left confused and skeptical of what we are actually getting and also feel the company is being divisive by locking features behind day 1 DLC.

9. RikohZX

RikohZX

I mean, we do know, it's just Sega can't communicate worth a damn. The Classic mode is just the ports in 4:3 with old school rules, not actual roms or emulation. And the coins in Anniversary Mode are basically just a means to retry special stages and a currency to earn for the museum features, as otherwise lives and time-outs were removed entirely in it.

The info is out there, you just have to dig for it because Sega has put their best pile of info in an obscure Asian site that has everything in English, and the PR has mostly just talked about Headcannon's involvement and nothing else.

10. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    • Useful Useful x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Snowbound

Snowbound

I gotta be honest: I’m looking forward to the coins system. I’ve played these games so many times that I don’t game over. Hunting for coins will give me a new way to play these games while highlighting my favorite quality from the classics: exploration. 3K is my fav because you’re able to use your speed to find so much stuff: special stage rings, elemental shields, checkpoints that take u to minigames. It creates this great feedback loop of overcoming platforming challenges, gaining speed and then using that speed to explore. Now kids playing Sonic for the 1st time will get more of this feedback loop in all the games through the coins and the artwork they unlock while also making the game easier to learn with extra SS attempts and no game overs. I agree that it’s puzzling that you hafta play without lifes in widescreens BUT I honestly think the coins system may be a brilliant way to introduce new fans to Sonic games and reward old fans with concept art.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  12. nesboy43

nesboy43

Thanks for the explanation. That's a huge bummer about the classic mode.

I know we can play the original cartridges or things like Mega Collection/Sonics Genesis Collection, but it would have been great to have one package with the original games as well as the new "ports".

I would have also liked the Sonic Jam extra layouts as an option too, but that's probably asking for too much.

So there is no more lives and timeouts? I'm all for adding new features/modes and content but why are they changing fundamental gameplay mechanics?

Thanks for the explanation and catching me up. Have they confirmed the soundtrack for Sonic 3 yet and if we can play Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles as separate games?

13. RikohZX

RikohZX

Not a lick of info on the Sonic 3 soundtrack yet. It's like they either want to surprise folks, or can't discuss it for some reason or another. Also no info on whether lock-on can be "disabled" for S3&K yet as far as I know.

14. nesboy43

nesboy43

I think gameplay changes are totally fine as a mode/option and I totally encourage more options in games.

But if it is truly the only option I am incredibly disappointed and see it as rewriting history.

Of course the original games will always exist, but people should be able to play the game in widescreen without alterations to the gameplay.

Or maybe this will he more DLC for Sega. Sonic Origins Plus: This time you can play the games like normal in widescreen with the unlockable "normal" mode.

As for unlockables, I find myself better enjoying games that give you everything upfront. Unlocking all the artwork and songs in Sonic Gems was just too much and Mega Collection making you play each game 40 times was insane.

That's just a matter of preference. I can see the appeal of collecting things though to unlock, it's just not for me.

At least I know the PC version should have mods to unlock everything down the line.

15. nesboy43

nesboy43

Thank you! Guess it will be a wait and see approach. I like the games not locked on personally as I like them as two separate experiences as well as the Sonic 3 miniboss music, which is gone when locked on.

16. Tempest

Tempest

Perth, Western Australia
    A Sonic 3 & Knuckles level layout change
    This collection looks great. I'm glad to see the Stealth versions of these games being released to consoles instead of having to squint at my mobile phone. I hope they release a physical copy of the collection with all of the content instead of these different tiered digital shenanigans that make no sense.

17. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Well, as I pointed out before, if you look closely at the Hidden Palace FMV, it seems to depict some kind of platform in from of the tapestry. I can't see any reason the animators would add that unless it's in the game, so to me it seems to suggest that there will layout tweaks in story mode.

18. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Sega's official Asian branch is...obscure?

19. RikohZX

RikohZX

The meaning is for the site itself, which people had to dig around to find and explains more than literally anything else in the game's media so far.

20. I've looked it over several times now and I still have no idea what you're talking about.