don't click here

Sonic Adventure DX Goofs

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by itskidchameleon, Apr 13, 2022.

1. itskidchameleon

itskidchameleon

So I noticed this little gem earlier, and after a bit of thought I realized that it was probably an issue specific to the DX version of the game. In the scene where Amy is captured by Zero, you can clearly see her DX model standing idly by in the background - whilst Zero runs off holding what I believe is actually her original Dreamcast model?

Was wondering if anyone was aware of any other "goofs" like this in the game - or is this just an isolated case?

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  2. Speeps

Speeps

That's in all versions of the game, SADX didn't touch the event scripts much.

There's a whole website about the issues PkR came across and fixed across the game when he made DC Conversion:
    https://dreamcastify.unreliable.network/

3. itskidchameleon

itskidchameleon

Where does it cover issues like that? I've visited the site before but only noticed it cover issues related to models and textures.

4. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    I mean - the lighting alone in SADX is just God-awful. The collision detection is also actually worse than the already pretty bad DC version - with that loop in Emerald Coast being a particularly rough offender.

SADX is buggier by far than SADC, but it’s had some mods to fix it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. itskidchameleon

itskidchameleon

Oh yeah, I remember the lighting being an issue too - didn't realize collision detection was an issue though.

Honestly I don't think any loop issues will ever stand out to me after Wave Ocean - there was one in there that was just CURSED for me >_<

Yeah makes me wish I had a better computer to be honest - I've seen mods to replace the DX models with the original ones which are particularly appealing to me.

6. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

If you mean that section in which the player can get pushed out of the path and into the sea before the second loop, wasn't that the result of an invisible barrier being misplaced there in SADX?

7. This is sort of on-topic and I’m curious if anyone knows the reason for it:

On all versions of SA, in Emerald Coast act 2 after the cork screw and launcher, you land at the dash pad leading up that steep ramp. Every time you go up the ramp, Sonic pulls hard to the right. What is going on under the hood to cause this?

8. itskidchameleon

itskidchameleon

Could you maybe link a video with a timestamp marking the specific quirk you're talking about?
    Would probably help people make a specific observation

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
  9. 9 min, 31 seconds.

7 min, 54 seconds on this version.

It’s clearly something the devs knew of which is why the rings account for Sonic veering right. I’m just wondering why it happens at all.

10. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    File this under wild speculation from someone who has never looked at SA under the hood: Do loops and ramps use similar code in Sonic Adventure? What if the ramp is trying to pull Sonic to the right, thinking it needs to keep him from running straight off of a loop?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. itskidchameleon

itskidchameleon

Yeah that'd definitely be my assumption. Feel like that sort of precursor to Auto-Running stuff happened a few times in Adventure? Might just stand out more in this instance because the area involved is a lot larger so the hand-holding is more noticeable?

12. I never considered this but it does make some sense. It’s been a while since I played but I can’t think of any similar set pieces to compare it to. Maybe in Final Egg? Either way, it’s only something I’ve ever noticed in Emerald Coast.

13. There was one little sound goof on the Dreamcast original.

Iicr, it was after the battle with Gamma, right after when Sonic says "I'll find that eggman and put'em outtta commission!" during the transition, you can hear a very quiet low deeep pitched tone of Sonic saying "Reeeaaadddyyy? GO!"

I think I've heard other random sound goof-ups during transitions between mystic ruins and the ice level (or was it Red Mountain? It's been so long...)

I hope somebody can find this, because it's very easy to miss and right now it makes me sound like I'm making this up like it was a creepypasta or something.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
  14. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    There is no spline on that ramp.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  15. Damn, back to square one lol. You have any ideas?

Don’t the inclines and loops in the game rely on gravity switching rather than actual physics? Could it be that whatever origin point for the pull is placed to the side rather than directly under?

16. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    No, they are entirely physics-based, although many loops use splines which propel the player forwards so they don't slow down and fall off. I think you're thinking of 06 with the gravity thing.
    I don't know why it pulls you to the side like that, but I think it's even more severe when the level is ported to SA2.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  17. Ah, gotcha. I was actually thinking that because of the speed-run strat in Green Forest that lets you run up the tree.

Well, I guess it'll remain a mystery! It has bothered me since the Hollywood Video rental in 1999, so I guess I can continue to live with it.

18. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I've always taken advantage of the ramp's behavior to fly off to the right and skip part of the stage. Maybe it's really been a feature all along - Sonic Team's way of showing us that you can use the wonky physics to find shortcuts :tinfoil:

19. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I might be misremembering, but isn't this shortcut actually hinted at in game by the Mr Know-it-all NPC? Even if its not, I'm pretty sure it's an intentional shortcut.

20. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Hmm. I always land on the top after that ramp and spindash jump over to where the jump pads were. For some reason I've never thought to try to do that from the ramp. Guess I'm loading up SA1 in a bit.