don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Just want to point out that Katie has confirmed that the cutscenes are part of the base game. The animations listed in the DLC place 3D models on the title screen islands, which will have some animation to them.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Sonic the Hedgehog: ends with Scrap Brain being revealed to be the starting pillar of the Death Egg.
    Sonic the Hedgehog CD: the weapon Robotnik was chasing Sonic with? A prototype of the Death Egg's laser eyes.
    I don't think I need to tie in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles into that.

I was once considering a comic with a overarching connective tissue, but could never draw right to do it, so I've thought about this a lot.

Still, they could change the ending of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 to go straight into Sonic the Hedgehog 3, which is not what happened, it took a while for the Death Egg to fall and then the week, as you said.

3. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I'm guessing they will have FMVs separating the "chapters", with time skips in them.

4. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    I don't see Super forms showing up in CD, given that you don't grab Chaos Emeralds in that game and the level designs aren't particularly conducive to blasting through at super speed (even when ignoring the generators, they're of course far more focus on exploration and just don't let you build speed the same way the other games do). What I could see, however, is the anniversary mode allowing you to time travel at will to any of the time periods once all the Time Stones have been collected.

5. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    I'm still disappointed by the lack of the other games from Mega/Gems, but maybe they'll include them as DLC if the music mode is anything to go by. The story mode is actually really fucking cool, though. Good on them for turning around all the pessimism surrounding this project.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Ahhhh, what an amazing trailer! Hopefully people are going to write benevolent reviews about this.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Honestly I much prefer the core 4 with enhanced features than another Sonic Mega Collection. Do we need them if they're just going to be emulated ROMs again? Pretty sure those games are available on the various Genesis collections out currently.

8. AeonicB

AeonicB

Oldbie
    Freelance
    Legit super excited for these remasters. So much effort put into it, I'm glad the wait was worth it. :)

9. Swifthom

Swifthom

A Friend Remembers... Member
    Agreed - what the 8 bit games really need is porting to the mania engine. This game - to capture the new fans from the movies - really needs to be a mark of how 'quality' those original 90s classics are!

Which, if this collection does well, is not impossible. But - lets not get hopes up - at the moment I just hope 3&K lives up the high bar Headcannon have already set themselves and then delight in playing the other games on a big screen without needing a mobile phone dock to cast it over.

10. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    So just to be clear, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if a single game mode for all 4 titles is included, that makes the chances of Knuckles and even Super forms in CD a good bit higher (the former much more than the latter), since a single mode would imply you continue your current character choice continuously.

Official support for Knuckles+Tails mode is also exciting. Retro engine being used also means all the extra S1+2 level layout details carry over.

Coins seem like they'll just replace lives monitors in certain modes. So perhaps farming lives now has a new benefit in the form of unlockable bonus museum content. Hopefully again, this can be disabled for those who don't want it, but at least it kind of gives a purpose to farming lives for the more skilled retro players and I doubt any of us will be forced to spend notable amounts of cash on it.

I can't seem to find the price listings anywhere. Am I missing something? Someone said 40$, is that base price or digital Deluxe?

Regardless, I highly encourage everyone to purchase this. I know it sounds obnoxious, but if you want a Mania 2 to happen, buying this may well be the thing that convinces Sega to keep investing into the RetroEngine/Headcannon. SEGA of Japan needs as clear of a message as possible that we're willing to continuously support these developers and that the extra challenge of working with external, global developers is worth the contracted challenges/expenses. This is a big deal designed as closely for this community as possible, guys, and I know we've bought these games before, but it's up to us to be reasonable and support it and help the next generation play these games in this hopefully very fun collection.

Buy a copy for yourself if you wish, but if not, even consider buying a gift copy for your kids or friends who might not own the games. One way or another, please support this release.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 14
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Swifthom

Swifthom

A Friend Remembers... Member
    I've seen banded about $39.99 for base game, $44/45 for the premium. So about $5 for those extras. - and it works out about $8 a game when you consider this is a compilation of 5 remastered titles.

If this collection does well a full fledged Mania 2 - or a second compilation with the missing 8 bit games on mania engine, or a Mania 2, or Spinball / Chaotix / 3D blast etc would be the dream, but i'm happy with this and I hope it does well.

12. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
  13. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    Yeah, but that's the same problem the main 4 had up until now. There's no way to play them all in a single collection. Even if Mean Bean Machine, Fighters, R, etc. are really just novelties they're still worth preserving.

That'd be sick, but I don't think there's enough demand for widescreen 8bit games to warrant that kind of workload. Having them on an emulator with savestates would be enough for most people.

On another note, is this screenshot from CD's opening remastered in some form? It's probably not a proper one using the negatives, but it looks better than usual.
    [​IMG]

14. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Couldn’t have worded it any better.. buying this collection will support Headcannon’s work and Christian’s engine so here’s hoping everyone here follows suit to show SEGA where the money really is

Also in terms of pricing, the base game is $39.99, but the Digital Deluxe edition is only $5 more ($44.99)

Honestly with that small difference in price, those should be the only two options people get (why anyone would go for the options in between is strange to me) and here’s hoping physical versions come some time next year if this sells well

15. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    Ha I wonder if the launch base act 1 exploit will still work.

16. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    https://twitter.com/Tracker_TD/status/1516800044615221250?s=20&t=x4OpK--VbXzVBAtEY8t5-w

Allegedly Knuckles won't be playable in CD. This seems pretty likely to me, since the trailer shows footage of all three playable characters in each game...except Knuckles in Sonic CD. Honestly, it's a crying shame since CD's levels would be a thrill to explore with Knuckles, but I guess the resources needed to backport Knuckles into CD when it's presumably the original 2011 version likely falls outside the purviews of the project. Still, at least Steam will have mod support on that front.

17. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    AND SOOOOOOLD, I'm buying the shit out of this

18. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Welp, now my biggest hope is no Denuvo so mod scene can start porting over their content as fast as possible (and not 1+ year later), but oh well. I'll save the Steam Sonic CD for that purpose at least.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
  19. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    I've never been so happy to be wrong in my life.

(I will say I still believe they were hired on after the Sonic Central event had already happened but I'm happy they are here either way)

20. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Oh God I forgot about Denuvo. Why did you have to remind me of Denuvo! It's going to have Denuvo...