don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    What'd they just trace this one? Why does Metal Sonic have the laziest art throughout the series?

Classic Metal Sonic: Only this pose is allowed
    Adventure era Metal Sonic: a mix of still reusing this pose and that one render from SA2B
    Post Unleashed Metal Sonic: every pose must have him face the camera.

2. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    Count me excited! I'm so very glad that this collection includes the stellar Retro Engine mobile ports of 1/2/CD as a base, I can't wait to hear the remastered soundtracks on Switch. Also looking forward to seeing how Sonic 3K's soundtrack is handled, not only what a potential remastered soundtrack for that is like but whether it includes nods to the beta tracks, if not outright includes them.

Those animated cutscenes are just pure delight and the fact that they're being used to link all three games together into a single connected adventure is really awesome and possibly the best way you could modernize the classics without changing them. I echo the concerns about the way the DLC is handled and while I truly hope that we won't end up with another DRM situation, Sega has seemed fairly consistent about implementing it in recent Sonic releases, so hopefully it just won't take them as long to drop it after release.

Major kudos to Headcanon and the rest of the team for their hard work bringing this all to reality!

3. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

If you're asking what it was traced from, the Japanese CD box arts:
    https://info.sonicretro.org/File:SonicCD_Art_JP_KeyArt.png
    https://info.sonicretro.org/File:Sonic_CD_PC_Clean.png
    Eggman is also based on the screensaver box art:
    http://info.sonicretro.org/File:SonictheScreensaver_PC_JP_Box_Front.jpg

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  4. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I SAID IT
    I SAID IT

Attached Files:

5. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    Finally. The confirmation we waited for ever since this thing was announced. We can rest easy now knowing that this won't be botched. Congratulations to everyone involved and looking forward to play it!

6. I'll probably pre-order. How can I not?

Looking forward to it.

7. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    • Like Like x 16
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh I know exactly the base they used, that was the point. I mean they reshaded Metal, would it have been that much harder to give him a new pose?

I know nitpicky I just feel Metal Sonic gets stiffed in the art department. Robotnik was based off that art but it at least was redrawn to fit in with the other 4. I've seen this artists work before they do a lot of the social media classic Sonic drawings, that's not how they draw Metal Sonic.

9. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Gonna be honest, supporting Taxman and Stealth's continued work in remastering the original MD Sonic games is the only compelling reason for me to buy this at launch/full price. (And maybe even with the digital deluxe nonsense.)

Maybe the new features are really great (they are admittedly more than I expected), and I'm glad we are getting the remastered versions of these games in general. But $40 for four/five Genesis/CD games (two of which have been re-released multiple times this gen alone) is a tough sell. The lack of a physical release and Sega's continued AAA strategy of hacking up the bells and whistles across multiple editions on top of all this, is just sour cream icing on the cake. (Seriously, how the hell did we go from Sega releasing free animations for the likes of Mania Adventures, TSR Overdrive, Chao in Space etc. to the animations here being paid DLC?)

Compared to what contemporary collections are offering at the same or for a lower price, with physical releases and without more editions with their own exclusive content than there are included games. (I'm not even a big fan of TMNT, but that upcoming TMNT collection sounds like a godsend for fans of those games). This is, for the most part, a strong "wait until it's on sale for $30/$20" for me.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Good thing they decided that CD goes between S1 and S2, considering that they're implementing that mode that combines all games into one. S3K works much better as the grand finale than CD IMO.

11. Flare

Flare

Well remember after S3K Sonic lands in Splash Hill... and the original series continues :V

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
  13. MastaSys

MastaSys

Considering Mania/Forces and Izuka's usual sensibilities i wouldn't be surprised if Origins have tie-ins to Frontiers hammed fisted into it.

14. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Continues in Sonic Generations, remastered soon!

15. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    Mania had options for choosing different abilities I see no reason why origins wouldn't. I also think an unlockable max control mode would be quite fun and maybe needed for the story mode, how else are they gonna do it? Randomly loosing the ability to super peel out after beating CD would be kinda strange.

16. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    I understand everyone is scared they're going to make dumb decisions on this. I seriously doubt they would do something as monumentally boneheaded as removing Sonic's defining ability from Sonic 3, the first game where he had one, with no option to reenable it.

17. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    I will admit, I'm worried they're going to string the storyline into one long thing and ignore the original plots (yes, they did exist). I don't mind tie in stuff, but they should be sure to respect the original developers intended storyline as well. Though I do want to see them actually animate those plots, have Tails bump into Sonic in a forested area akin to the cutscene in Sonic Adventure. But we'll see how this goes.

18. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    I'm updating the OP post with all the new info as I can learn it, guys. Will comment more once I catch up with the hype.

19. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Depends on what the cutscenes themselves are I guess, but I don't really see any way you string a cohesive narrative out of the games' storylines than what's already in the manuals. Like, I don't think there's any way you can really portray 1-CD-2-3K as like, one long, sustained battle against Eggman, they're pretty episodic with natural conclusions (the final bosses).

Like you said I could see them doing a cutscene between 1 and 2 (or CD and 2 I guess, as it were) showing Sonic meeting Tails, but other than that the only real connective tissue that exists is that Sonic 3 & Knuckles takes place only a few days after Sonic 2 per the Japanese manual.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I now wonder if the features introduced in later games will be introduced where they weren't before. The RSDK4 Sonic 1 and 2 had elemental shields as a bonus, 1 even had Super. Do you think we'll finally see a form of Super Sonic in CD? Or elemental shields?

And I wonder how two player will look in Sonic 2? Like Mania? I feel like this is a great chance to expand on that. Why just have Sonic 2 multi-player? All these games are built off the same engine I don't see why levels from the other 3 games couldn't be included (or at least 1 and CD without time travel, 3 might be more complicated). At least now it looks like 2 isn't the only game to have a boss rush now.

But I hope all the moves are universal and can be changed via options, much like Mania. I want to peelout in Sonic 1, 2, and 3 and instashield in 1, 2, and CD. Also please have an option in CD to bring the sound effects in line with the other Genesis games (proper rolling sound, the jump, skidding, etc)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022