don't click here

Sonic 2 (Movie) Spoiler/Discussion Topic (Stay away if you don't want to be spoiled)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Sonic Warrior TJ, Mar 30, 2022.

1. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    It's incredibly common in America. Like, my Spider-Man: No Way Home screening was going apeshit when the older characters were showing up.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

Different culture here in the US, especially with kids films.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  3. Xilla

Xilla

I fail to understand....I begin to see! Member
    The only time I've ever experienced that in a British cinema was when I went to see the 50th anniversary Doctor Who episode.

4. netscapenow

netscapenow

I'm in the UK and went to go see it on opening day, and people clapped both at the end and post-credit scene. Interesting since the only other "fandom" movie I've gone to was Spider-Man No Way Home and that was pretty quiet (though i was about a week after release)

5. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I seen the movie yesterday with my wife and we both loved it. I'll admit, I was one of those fans who were so excited when the G.U.N. agent mentioned that they found a file from 50 years ago, I shouted "Shadow!" even before they revealed him in the post credits scene. :V I'm super happy Metal wasn't the big reveal, I'm more of a Mecha Sonic fan and Shadow is my second favorite character. I definitely liked this more than the first film. In fact there was a little kid dressed up as Shadow at the theater I went to, so I could imagine he was super happy to see Shadow. Knuckles is back to being the lovable, gullible echidna and not stupid like he was in Boom which makes me happy. I wonder if Maria will appear in the next movie, they've changed Knuckles' backstory quite a bit, so if they do the same for Shadow then she might not even appear in the next movie. I didn't even notice the Splash Hill reference on the water truck, I want to see it again so I can try to catch if there were any other references I missed.

6. Did anyone else get like extremely excited seeing Hidden Palace revealed to be in the middle of the ocean just like on the early concept maps for Sonic 2? It was perfect.

7. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

It was also completely reminiscent of the area in Sonic Adventure. And I never thought to connect Labyrinth Zone until they were in an actual Labyrinth.

8. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    It was the other way around for me, I told my girlfriend "hey, those are the crystals from labyrinth zone", and then a minute later, cue the actual labyrinth.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    It does seem to be a specifically American thing, yeah - the most strong reaction I've ever seen in a cinema screening in Britain is some polite laughter at a good joke out of nowhere.

10. Frostav

Frostav

I live in the US and I have never seen this happen myself. People laugh at jokes, and in my showing some kids made excited comments about stuff happening, but straight up applauding loudly never happened. For the record, I live in South Texas, maybe it's a regional thing.

11. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Totally agree on Shadow’s character appeal - you’re right that none of the other characters Sega has introduced since have quite had the same appeal. Silver, Blaze and the Chaotix (Heroes versions) have their fans, and they tried really hard to make Zavok a thing, but I think it says a lot that for Sonic Boom, the only legacy characters they brought in outside of the core four were Shadow and Metal. And for the purpose of the movies and the average moviegoer audience, Shadow makes a lot more sense than Metal.

As for Shadow’s backstory, I will be disappointed if they tone it down. It might stretch what they can get away with in a PG rating, but there’s a ton of dramatic potential they can mine there for Robotnik as well (Maria was his cousin, after all - and it’s established that in the movie universe Robotnik was an orphan, and isn’t happy about it).

12. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    Touching on the subject of why so many kids love Shadow despite the character not being relevant in recent games - I agree that they're likely playing older games like SA2, but there's also a sort of universal appeal to mirror counterparts of heroes in fiction, as it allows you to explore a darker side of a character without actually making them turn evil themselves. My cousin was in the theatre with us and he didn't know who Shadow was and still got really excited about him.

Anyway... I am so very happy that this film exists and that so many talented and passionate fans were able to work on it. Sure, some parts drag on and it has all the obvious trappings of a movie made first and foremost for kids, but it sure made me feel like a kid again. There were a bunch of moments that had me grinning ear to ear - the little nods and references to the games, Knuckles' badass characterization, Tails' cuteness, all the human actors settling more into their roles and clearly having fun with it, the way the owls were mixed into the backstory of the chaos emeralds... It all had a way of making me reflect on all the memories I have of this franchise and how many wonderful people I've met because of this blue guy and his friends. Big kudos to the team! I'm excited to see where the next film goes, for sure.

13. JRokujuushi

JRokujuushi

J64 Member
    Such a dumb thing to be bothered by, but I found it distracting when they kept calling it a "power bump". Such an easy chance to make another reference, but they didn't take it. Is there a reason they couldn't call it a fist bump?

14. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I wouldn't blame them for wanting to pretend that Fist Bump never happened.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  15. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

So, any predictions on who will voice Shadow?

16. kitsunebi

kitsunebi

Japan
    You're posting in the wrong thread.

MOD EDIT: Moved this and quoted post to spoiler thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2022
  17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Just saw the movie today. Yea I loved it. It's interesting seeing how they incorporated the emeralds, unlike the games where the master emerald controls the chaos emeralds, the chaos emeralds are the Master Emerald. In terms of movies I think that makes sense, 2 hours of hunting 7 emeralds wouldn't have worked.

But I loved this one much more than the 1st. I never thought I'd like the world they started building in the 1st one but I actually have grown to like it, even the human characters. They actually work with Sonic and friends.

That being said though, very curious about Tails back story here. Sonic and Knuckles are explained (I cannot believe after everything with Penders they gave Knuckles a dad) but Tails they were just like "I'm a tech dork with two Tails from... somewhere. Don't worry about it." Maybe they'll elaborate later?

Anyways, so Shadow! Of course it was Shadow, GUN existing should have been enough to tip that off, but we all knew it'd be either Shadow or Metal Sonic. Lol my husband is tripped up with Shadow lore, and I was like "that's the beauty of it! Shadow looking like Sonic never made sense!" So I'm veryyyy curious to see how they explain him here. But are we space colony arking it up for 3? Or maybe some kinda alternate Death Egg/ARK hybrid?

Also love how despite Robotnik tossing Knuckles aside, he kept Agent Stone. Out of all the various Robotnik minions over the decades, this Robotnik seems to kinda care about this toady.

18. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    I’m a fan of the fanon (I believe?) explanation that Gerald found the mural in Hidden Palace of Super Sonic fighting Robotnik (which you can see when fighting Knuckles at the end of S&K), deduced that the Sonic in the mural was a god in the Echidna culture, and based the design for Shadow around that.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That's the only explanation I can think of that makes sense game lore wise. Movie lore though... well that's up to them I guess. For as much attention Knuckles' society has had, we never know what's up with the various super powered hedgehogs. They just exist, no idea where they come from, and that's kinda the case in the movies too.

But since 3 is almost certainly going to be SA2 lite, much like how 2 was S3K lite, are we going to see Rouge? We have GUN and Shadow so what else is coming over? Gerald and Maria Robotnik? The ark? Amy? Big the Cat cameos? At 1st I wanted to see game element after game element but I like how they've played this out, if anything now I'm worried they'll start throwing in too much game stuff without explanation. Do we even need Amy and Rouge? I feel like Tom and Maddie fill Amy's role, and Rouge could be almost anyone, they could potentially recast her as a human and I don't think it'd interfere in almost any way.

20. Frostav

Frostav

That's my only issue with the movie lore as of now. There's no explanation for where Sonic came from, if he's part of a special race or unique, all that. Of course, the games never ever go into that...but in them, we can just assume that special cartoon animals exist in the world of Sonic and that's that. In the movie, Knuckles and Tails are not from Sonic's planet (Tails explicitly so), so like...where are these super-powered animals coming from? Why do multiple planets have them? Why do they all share the same design language, but Longclaw doesn't at all? Who are Sonic's actual parents??? Why does he not seem to ever care about them? Even if he's lived with Longclaw since he was a baby, surely he'd want to know if there's other hedgehogs out there?

By introducing just a bare bit more backstory than the games do, these movies now have made these weird questions come to the forefront.

I don't think this is some MASSIVE FLAW the next movie must now spend half an hour answering, but yeah.