don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Hasn't it more or less been confirmed this was the case, or is that just some fandom myth? The story I always heard was Sega cut 06's development team in half to make Secret Rings.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
  2. Tomato, tomato? :V

3. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Pretty sure it was confirmed that 06 couldn't be ported to Wii somehow, which in itself is a really funny thought.

I like to imagine it was either because they wanted Sonic's first Wii title to make use of the motion controls or just poor optimization, because God knows 06 wasn't anywhere near visually impressive enough to be too much for Wii (or at least the final version wasn't). In fact, SatSR sends 06 running for it's money in that department, despite the tech leap.

The wonders of actually having art direction..

4. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Perhaps the Wii was unable to run Havok engine? I feel that it's pertinent to point out that the Wii and Wii U run the same architecture as the GameCube and were pretty poor in their support for modern engines.

5. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Wow, I’m kinda shocked that I never even thought of Sega potentially going the cloud route for the Switch version of Frontiers, lol. That’s actually a pretty good guess.

I don’t think they’re gonna take that route though. Cloud releases for the Switch strike me as more of an secondary/smaller release; an experiment done for a platform that isn’t a priority in the game’s development, due to its weaker hardware and specs. Conversely, I feel like the Switch platform is arguably too popular for Sonic games as a platform to try an alternate release format, especially so for your upcoming mainline release. Sales charts of recent Sonic games usually show the Switch version tying with or exceeding the PS4 version as the version that sells the most retail copies and/or performs the best on digital storefronts.

Moreover—based on my limited knowledge (chiefly, Square Einx’s releases), it seems that cloud versions of games for Switch tend to come a while after the original release for the more powerful platforms. I can’t see that happening with Sega’s target of a complete platform release for the holidays.

6. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Now, that all makes plenty of sense to me. Why wouldn't they aim primarily at the Switch? I guess what worries me is some of the language used in this interview.
    This comes across to me like they have ambitions with this game that the Switch might end up compromising, and I'm not sure if they realize that (or, if they do realize that, they're certainly not upfront about it). I guess this could instead be read as the Switch version being more like the base version of the game, but "the PS5/XSX versions will look even better". That said, the top quote is from the person writing the article, and is not a direct quote from Iizuka; it seems more like the writer's interpretation of what Iizuka is implying, so it's not nearly so damning as if Iizuka had said exactly that.

7. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    I went to look at the specifics of 06's development because my memory on the specifics is kind of fuzzy, so:

So it sounded like they were blindsided by the Wii's specs and were also rushed to port the game even to PS3 let alone the Wii, and thus decided to make a separate Wii title instead, sanity be damned.

The first point is not the case (Sega already knows about the Switch and has ported games to it), hopefully the second will not be the case (especially given that now the PS4 and Xbox have similar architecture instead of the batshit Cell tech the PS3 had), and they haven't announced any intentions of doing the third.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  8. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Havok could run on a Wii and did get used on Sonic Unleashed, so it's not likely that it couldn't have happened. I think it probably just came down to them not wanting to spend the effort to downscale the assets used in 06, because I could see it properly running on a Wii in one form or another - even if they removed the hub world or something.

9. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Didn't BOTW also use Havok engine? It ran on the WiiU.

10. It wouldn’t happen. Cloud versions make sense for Japanese games because the infrastructure allows them to run decently. Cloud games happen when it wouldn’t otherwise be feasible to port, and when the Japanese market for the title is strong enough. Western releases of cloud games are pretty much the publishers trying to pick up some scraps. As Frontiers will make the majority of its money outside of Japan (unless something wild happens), limiting the most popular system’s version to that would be financial suicide.

Everyone jokes around that Sega’s dumb, but they’re really just risk adverse like most Japanese corporations. I don’t see a cloud version happening.

11. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    While I likewise doubt Sega would release a cloud version of Frontiers, at least in the west, (Taking PSO2 into account here), I think it's not outside the realm of possibility for a Japanese company to do so. The recent Kingdom Hearts cloud ports to Switch are a big example and goodness knows Square Enix should have known better.

12. shilz

shilz

tbh no idea where the claim that that Wii U used the same architecture came from but it clearly wouldn't matter at that point since the hardware was finally able to run 360 games. Havok is just a physics engine to be utilized in games, so the hardware is only relevant to a certain point, where you'd then have to make sure your game was designed efficiently enough to run the physics simulations at the same time as whatever else you're doing.

13. Now the movie is out, I wonder how long we have to wait for news. I at least want something until the end of this month. I guess SEGA will at least wait a week or two for the movie cold out a bit.

14. Professor BV

Professor BV

アブナイヨとHAVE A NICEは似てる Member
    FL
    I think we'll get a couple more TailsTube drops like the pink lady, but nothing substantial until E3 season. The question is whether they'll do another Sonic Central, or if they'll hand it off to Geoff Keighley's Wild Ride.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    Aaron Webber posted this tweet yesterday saying
    Some think it means game news is coming soon, I think it could really mean anything honestly

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    It'll likely mean all of the above. Reminder that they started that Sonic Central thing a while back.

17. Professor BV

Professor BV

アブナイヨとHAVE A NICEは似てる Member
    FL
    Hm, maybe we'll get a gameplay trailer in an upcoming Sonic Central, then an extended gameplay demo for Summer Game Fest?

18. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Aaron's job is more than just Sonic these days. I wouldn't get your hopes up on this being related to Frontiers news, likely it's personal news or something of the sort.

19. shilz

shilz

Then why mention Sonic at all?

20. Snowbound

Snowbound

MykonosFan is right that Webber has more than just Sonic on his plate so it’s very possible he’s also referring to non-Sonic announcements on the pipeline. But Webber is no fool and he knows how starved the Sonic fandom is rn for game news. I personally suspect that the tweet is his way of saying “It’s movie time now... but Sonic game news isn’t THAT far off”.

I personally suspect that we will get another Tailstube this month. Then a Sonic Central in May which mainly focuses on Origins but also has another small Frontiers trailer. Than Summer Games Fest is when we get a BIG Frontiers trailer. But... I could be wrong and Aaron’s post could have nothing to do with sonic. I think he’s been around to long too get people’s hopes up like this... then again he mentioned “Big’s Big Fishing Adventure” at the 25th Anniversary party and it still hasn’t come out so ;)