don't click here

Tails Tube

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Mar 24, 2022.

1. Pengi

Pengi

It's a godsend for the comics, because it puts everything back on the table.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Makes me wonder if GUN will be back in this case

3. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    When the hell did Sonic games even use 2 worlds in the first place? I assumed the only split we'd gotten was between classic and "modern" timelines, per Mania/Forces.

Personally, I quite liked the 2 world concept in X, but it never made sense for game canon. At what point was it ever supposed to be... true for the games? I don't remember Heroes, Unleashed, 06, or Generations ever using it. The movies, sure, but I view those media as their own timelines just like lots of other IPs. SATAM, Archie, AOSTH, Underground all had their own canons as well. X was also clearly its own thing even if it closely crossed over with the adventure era.

4. This was a huge problem I had with Forces. It looked like the game was populated by ToonTown NPCs, not Sonic characters. It’s way less jarring to have humans with simple designs than basic anthro characters.

From 2008ish until around a year ago, I really didn’t care about Sonic games’ stories and just wanted some good gameplay. Looking back at the series now, I do have a stronger appreciation for plots like those of Adventure 1 and 2. It could be nostalgia glasses, though I don’t have any love for Heroes’ or Shadow’s stories despite being a kid when they released, so I’m not entirely convinced that’s it. Even when trying to decide whether Mania and 3&K is my favorite, the story of Sonic 3, simple though it may be, is the deciding factor in why I prefer it.

While Sonic’s plot/continuity may not interest all or even most of us here, I think an increased focus on world building (though not at the expense of gameplay) would do nothing but elevate the series for younger fans. The fans who were kids in the beginning of the boost era seem way more passionate about Unleashed than games like Colors or Generations, and I think its story has played a role in that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    And Bridge zone wasn't in sonic 1 16-bit, yet both are set on the same island.

Sonic 1 8-bit is just the only one that provides a map.

6. Snowbound

Snowbound

Anyone else think the chao recipe folder on tails computer was hinting at the Sonic Twitter’s April Fools post?

7. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    It’s a bit of chicken and the egg really, because I think it’s just as feasible that the April Fools joke was a reaction to people joking that Tails eats Chao.

8. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    Despite the joke, did they release the recipe?

9. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    Now that they've put the 2 worlds thing to rest I wonder if they'll ever elaborate on that "classic Sonic is from another dimension" thing.

Obviously I don't think there needs to be a backstory for why Sonic has green eyes, I think most people can agree that would be really silly and kinda overly meta, but I wonder if they'll ever clarify that the Sonic from the classics is the same from Adventure and everything after?

10. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Thing is, I don't think that one's gone anywhere, nor is it likely to. I don't like it, but a modern/classic timeline split at least makes sense from a business perspective. Classic Sonic is now its own brand within the Sonic franchise. The events of the classic games are still canon to the modern timeline, but they want to keep that segregation between classic designs and characters and modern ones, hence Mighty, Ray, Fang, Bark, Bean and Honey showing up in the 30th anniversary/FCBD comics but not in the regular IDW series.

Side note -- I hope classic Sonic gets to use Honey for more things. I keep thinking that if she'd actually appeared in 90s Sonic stuff she would have been one of the most popular characters on her design alone. I feel like we'd see all the trans twitter furries using her as an avatar instead of Bunnie or Rouge.

11. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Got a bit lost with this: why specifically the trans ones?

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Prob because cat girl trope

13. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Kittycat fashion girl, wants to dress Tails up in cute little outfits, does violence, they just need to make her hate cops and she'll basically be one of my friends from high school.

14. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I'm completely lost in this conversation.

15. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Seems like you’re injecting your own personal views into things…

At any rate I imagine the next thing we’re gonna get clarification on is Team Dark. That seems like a much smaller fish to fry and I can understand if they’re still not ready to tackle the whole timelines thing. It’s much more divisive than two worlds, which I feel had a pretty strong swing towards being hated moreso than it was liked.

16. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    Ahh Team Dark.
    The one thing from Adventure Era that was liked by almost everyone, and it now doesn't exist because of some dumb corporate executive.

I just want Shadow to have friends. Didn't Maria wish for him to be happy?

17. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    SEGA certainly doesn't. I mean, who needs friends when you can seek to beat Kakarot Sonic?

18. Pengi

Pengi

Team Dark never really existed within the games' story, did it?

Rouge, Shadow and Omega join forces in Sonic Heroes for that one specific story, but they don't give themselves a team name.

In the Shadow the Hedgehog game the three of them are all doing their own thing, aren't they?

In Sonic Battle, Rouge and Shadow are doing their own things, Omega isn't around.

In Sonic 2006, Rouge and Shadow are working for/with GUN. Is Omega though?

In Sonic Free Riders, if I recall correctly, the "Team Dark" name is actually spoken in-story. But the context there is that it's their team name for the race, and the team is Shadow, Rouge and E-10000B.

The "Team Dark" name is used in the same way in Team Sonic Racing: it's their team name for the race.

19. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    [​IMG]
    they seem to like putting the three of them together so it would be a bit weird for SEGA to then be like "nah actually they don't even like each other lol"

Last edited: May 3, 2022
  20. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    "I want every character to be the same and be buddy buddy happy happy"
    Please let a couple characters be the kind to have a public persona where they're just isolated and even if they know they can trust and depend on someone else, aren't stopping by on Wednesdays to play cards
    Not everyone has to be Sonic and Tails, "friends" is not a dynamic that works for these three without changing them fundamentally into entirely different characters
    Like, relationships and the kind of relationships don't have to be flattened down to "is a friend/is an enemy"
    shadow absolutely is the kind of character who would not consider, or if considering wouldn't admit, that rouge or omega are friends
    and yet if really needing would go to them for help
    rouge would be the most likely to consider the other two friends but even then, she's a cool aloof jewel thief
    she'll help them in subtle and out-of-camera ways, she'll maybe fuss if exhasperated, but she has her space and they have theirs
    and omega just wants to go around killing eggman robots
    shadow's concept art literally points to vegeta as a point of inspiration. the "rival character who has a big sense of pride and stands alone even if not realising he's developed friendships" is such a basic stock character it makes no sense to hate it, if you're treating these as game characters. Even 06 makes it explicit they don't work as a team by default- Rouge was sent ahead, Shadow was sent to rescue Rouge, etc. Omega sticks around with Shadow when needed, but that's because something's happening at that moment that needs him to do it- otherwise he'd be off doing something else.

They're not Sonic and Tails (and even Sonic's depicted as a closer friend in day to day life than he makes sense to be), and that's fine. It's how they've always been.

Last edited: May 3, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List