don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Jammin'

Jammin'

Extremely into X-Treme Member
    I mean, its fine as long as you dont have to eat them.

2. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Yeah, didnt exactly word that well. I meant the actual mechanic of rings being used might be gone, since it wouldn't really work to have rings littered literally everywhere across a gigantic open world.
    It is a safe bet to assume that rings themselves will appear in some form or function.

3. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Why though? They look nice. :V

Anyway, today I wanted to try something funny. I played some Forces and pretended it was an open-world game. Man was it weird. While its abysmal narrow levels almost made me cry, there are some nice little details to be found. You can kick traffic cones, for example, or slide down slopes. But it sucks that you can't take tight twisties. I also wish they'd tone down the special effects a bit...

Sonikku, where are youuuu

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Joined the thread to share this thought. I think Frontiers should ditch fast travel. And for reasons besides the obvious.

I mainly stick to mobile gaming. Not because I can’t play stuff outside of it. I mean I have a computer with Steam and all that that I sometimes play on, but it’s just easier to start up and access mobile games. That led to me getting into the semi-popular mobile game Genshin.

Lately, I had been getting fed up with Genshin. Viewing it as tedious and unfun, and I deleted it, this time with the intentions of not picking it for a long time.

However when I did pick it up again, which I was sure would happen, there was a certain character upgrade I wanted to have called a “Constellation.” The direct way to get this upgrade for this particular character is only available in two months out of the year, one being April, and I deleted it in March. So I went ahead and downloaded the game again on Friday, and I have been playing it a little.

This time I’ve actually been having fun again, and my suspicions about why I wasn’t before i feel have been nearly confirmed. Frankly, the only thing I was doing before was grinding in dungeons called domains. There were times when I actually would go into the open world, but that usually just consisted of teleporting/fast traveling to a certain part of the map, bolting straight toward whatever character upgrade material I wanted that was there, and then getting out. I wasn’t really exploring the world anymore.

The relaxing and somewhat enjoyable experience of traveling, admiring scenery, seeing points of interest/enemies and traveling to/engaging with them… I just wasn’t really doing it.

But since I have gotten the game again not only have I been ignoring the grinding almost entirely, but I have also not been using the fast travel mechanics much outside crazy situations where to get to one region you literally need to cross the ocean and lots of water. This means I need to get to places manually and on foot and well…

That earlier mentioned experience has basically been restored. And yeah. Actually kind of fun again.

I did a quick scroll through Reddit at one point to see if other people felt the idea of fast travel might actually take away from the experience of open world games, and was not that surprised to see that, yes. There are those that feel that way.

However, the rebuttal is that people don’t want to just spend their time manually running through areas that they already explored and completed all content in.

Well, my issue is that what if you haven’t completed all content and collected all the stuff you need. You just ran to an area and, before even really exploring it, you unlocked the teleport point and just gunned it to the next one. So now you’re missing out on content, and experiencing a more shallow experience.

Further, some brought out they don’t mind not fast traveling under certain circumstances, one case being where the traveling and moving through the world is in itself fun. Well, in a platformer like Sonic, where the gameplay ***is*** to traverse the terrain and areas within it, using movement mechanics for that…

…well, it seems like the genre is in fact made for this. And in Sonic’s case, where you are supposed to be going pretty fast anyways, the complaint of spending too much time just traveling could be mitigated as well.

Just something to think about.

EDIT: Why can’t you delete comments

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    I always do this with games of any kind that allows for it. What made me irrationally angry from Unleashed back in the day was when I started the first level and the game was made to prevent this playstyle by forcing the forward camera and having long empty corridors with nothing at all and invisible walls on parts where trying to get in looked like the most fun part. I'm in good terms with Unleashed and boost gameplay now, but I need to explore the world.

I've stopped playing PSO2:NGS for similar reasons as yours: it was fun at the beginning when there was little mandatory to do and you could go around to know the world, but later it became like a job with all those daily and weekly tasks, the events, equipment hunting, etc. And I don't want to go back again even when they add new maps because I won't be ready for those and will have to grind to be able to take on the challenges. But jumping like a goat and trying to find every little hidden corner, take screenshots from the weirdest places... That's fun.

I still think Frontiers will be much like NGS where possible. That's good or bad depending on what they take from that design style, but at least I expect not to grind equipment and experience in a Sonic game (then I remember Sonic Heroes and I pray for not having long fights with regular enemies and mini-bosses either).

6. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    This is why I really want to see how they've updated Sonic's movement for this game.

As weird as it sounds, the fact that the main mechanic of Frontiers is apparently about running in circles, has me very interested and excited

[​IMG]

Whenever I play any 3D game, the first thing I do is make the character move around in a circle because oddly enough this is usually the best way to get a feel for how they control

3D Mario games usually have this down perfectly. You can tell that they prioritise movement above all else.

but I wish I could say the same for 3D Sonic. I don't think Sonic has ever really felt that satisfying to control at low speeds. Adventure 2 is probably the closest he's ever gotten to controlling well but even that doesn't really hold up to modern standards.

On paper, the idea of the "Spincycle" feels like it could be a really smart way to emphasize movement and traversal mechanics ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I'd say personally that they've never managed it in any game, this is my second biggest worry about Frontiers (right after the phrase "open world").

8. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I was watching the reveal trailer again because why not and it hit me...this game is going to look bloody gorgeous. People have already praised the graphics and that trailer was from December, so the build the footage was taken from was like dated around October at the very latest. Just think about how much the game will have improved since then and how much more polish it might have up until launch!

9. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    From my experience games tend to look worse in-game compared to trailers, rarely the opposite unfortunately.
    Keeping in mind the game will have to run on the switch, I'm expecting it to look somewhat decent but nothing spectacular. As long as the art direction is strong (and I'm happy with what we've seen so far) I won't complain.

10. Well, apparenly Switch can run No Man's Sky, so actually running Sonic Frontiers won't be a problem? But yeah, I think the Switch version will be inferior compared to the other console and PC version.

11. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    While this is true, it generally doesn't apply to Sonic. The only case of a major graphical downgrade I can remember in the series compared to pre-release was Rise of Lyric, and that's because the entire game had to be stripped down and rebuilt on inferior, incompatible hardware within a year. While I'm sure the Switch version of Frontiers will look the worst, I don't think there's any particular reason the game as a whole will suffer because of it. There's usually a "best version" of a given multiplatform Sonic game, but I don't think the act of being multiplatform harms them that much.

12. Zigetch

Zigetch

Enjoy this world~ Member
    Georgia
    I'd played Sonic '06 for the very first time earlier this year, around the same time I'd replayed Colors with Ultimate.

Much to my surprise I found myself enjoying simply running around in '06's action stages, opposite to Colors which I just couldn't get into exploring the 3D sections of those games.

As problematic as '06 was/is, it does have a pretty nice element of exploration to its stages, and after somewhat adjusting to Sonic's spazzy handling I found myself replaying Wave Ocean and Flame Core just to take my sweet time taking the levels in and going relatively anywhere I'd wanted. I was pleasantly surprised by White Acropolis' second act, which is very open and provides more than a few ways of finishing it. It took me nearly 20 minutes the first go around and I really enjoyed myself.
    Plus the music is completely badass.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  13. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    I'll have to disagree because Unleashed had to have a special version made just for Wii as not to hurt the vision of the HD versions as well as SATSR only existing because they straight up couldn't get 06 to run on the Wii.

While the graphical quality between Switch and base PS4 is much closer I still expect some compromises in that regards just as result.

14. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    The Wii vs. PS360 generation is always going to feel like a massive outlier IMO in terms of Nintendo's console being so woefully underpowered next to the competition that, despite the Wii being the market leader, third party developers often ended up skipping it.

Even the Wii U was roughly on par with the PS3/360 (which, while quickly replaced by PS4/Xbox One, still got enough support that Wii U would usually receive multiplat ports, at least early on) while the gap between the Switch and base PS4 isn't quite as pronounced as Wii-PS3, like you said.

Switch is likely to get the absolute worst version of Frontiers, but as long as the core gameplay is solid I bet it'll at least be enjoyable for those who don't have any other option. It'll likely sell the best, too.

15. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

Lyon, France
    Not to mention the game will also run on the Series X/PS5.
    I think it's possible to do a true next gen experience for games still running on One/PS4 (See Resident Evil 8), but if you throw the Switch into the mix it's pretty clear the game will either:
    -See some compromises on all versions to make it run on the Switch
    or
    -Have a dogshit Switch port. (Bloodstained, anyone?)

Great Switch ports like Doom or (maybe) No Man's Sky all came after the fact, but it seems they're aiming for a sim-ship on all versions for Frontiers, so I'm not especially hopeful.

16. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    I keep coming back to this thread thinking there is actually new Frontiers news and always leave disappointed.

17. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    It could also be a "Cloud Version".

18. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

Lyon, France
    I don't think we're getting a cloud version of Frontiers. That's the absolute worst option they could go with.

19. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    While I agree, this is Sega we're talking about. Going with the worst option would be too in character. :V

20. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    That's still not really a case of the original game being harmed by being multiplatform though, moreso other games coming into existence because it couldn't be and happening to suck. Unless you're arguing that Secret Rings sucked dev resources out of 06, I guess.