don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I was thinking about Sonic 06. Shadow was (will be?) arrested in the future because humanity turned itself against him. But... wasn't the future doomed by Iblis? What humanity turned against him? And why were people afraid of Shadow's power if Iblis was more powerful (and presumably Shadow tried to defeat him)?

2. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    From what Mephiles said, humanity already feared Shadow, and just used Iblis to blame/imprison Shadow.

3. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Pretty much. Like Mephiles with Sonic as he set up Silver and Blaze, Humanity used Shadow as a scapegoat for their anger and fear, as well as the fear already prevalent, likely from that whole "ram the ARK into the Earth" plot and "being related to the alien invaders from a while ago" thing.

4. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    So after that discussion with rapheal_fc on their version of the timeline, I redid the third portion of my own. Pretty similar, but without the timeline splitting for certain events.
    [​IMG]
    Pretty much the only variance is on the Sonic Riders subseries, since they're basically free floating and can go anywhere so long as it's after the first Sonic Riders.

Also, no Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood. I'm almost certain that's just a non-entity now.

But with that, my interpretation of the timeline is complete:

[​IMG]

Might have to think of a new name for the Current Era...

5. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

So I'm guessing you did not consider this? @BlackHole
    And it comes with a bonus: Riders and Riders ZG would be placed together.

upload_2021-6-24_13-5-1.png
    upload_2021-6-24_13-5-47.png

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  6. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I'm aware, we were chatting about it remember? But I'm of the opinion it comes after since he doesn't comment the same thing in Sonic and the Secret Rings, just that he's expecting a first-class trip. Also, I'm not sure if he'd consider that world fictional since he, y'know, saves it? A World of stories, sure.

Also, he was only commenting about The Wonderful Lamp (Aladdin and the Magic Lamp in the game), which doesn't have a magic carpet.

7. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

So the differences in our timelines are:

Modern Era:
    I put Sonic Riders after Sonic and the Secret Rings, you put it before;
    I put Sonic Chronicles in a dead timeline, you didn't put it anywhere because the game itself is dead (which is pretty much the same, actually);
    I didn't put Team Sonic Racing anywhere, just because I was in doubt whether this should be canon or not.

Adventure Era:
    I put Sonic Advance after Sonic Adventure 2, you put it before;
    I didn't put Sonic Pinball Party anywhere because I didn't consider canon any game that has non-Sonic characters in the main story.

Classic Era:
    It's a total mess.

8. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    The whole series, then?

[​IMG]

I joke, I know what you mean, though the non-Sonic characters actually don't partake in the main story. Tails, Knuckles and Amy are brainwashed, then you fight Metal Sonic and Robotnik. Nights and Samba aren't really involved in the plot.

Eh, only in regards to if you accept my logic on the Game Gear titles. The rest are standalone like the Sonic Riders games.

9. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

That. And Sonic the Fighters. And Sonic Pocket Adventure. And SegaSonic the Hedgehog's placement. And Sonic Generations's placement. And the Sonic 4 vs Sonic Mania vs Knuckles Chaotix conundrum.

10. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Hey, look enough into it and the subplots work it out for you.

Like Chaotix before Sonic the Fighters. Espio was jealous of Knuckles in Chaotix as he researched the ancient civilisation and Knuckles lived on the Angel Island. Sonic the Fighters shows he's been allowed onto Angel Island.

11. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    I suddenly don't care about the ridiculous timeline placement of Generations (and seven other games that shouldn't be there), I'm just horrified by that absolutely disgusting graphics filter.

12. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Exactly seven or around seven?

13. eldarin

eldarin

Personally, I don't understand why they need to complicate things so much...Classic Sonic = Modern Sonic...if I was in charge here is what I'd do.

Sonic 1-3K-> classic goes to gens and comes back -> little time later mania teleportation & forces happens -> classic comes back -> timeskip -> SA1-Shadow -> 06 which is CANON, happens and is faint memory or feeling of remembrance (as shown in Generations when speaking to Blaze) -> secert rings -> unleashed -> black knight -> colors to now.

I don't understand why you can't have classic sonic come back from Gens and Forces and then time passes, he matures with not only what he saw in those games but any adventures that happened between 3K and SA1 (ie Mania or any new Genesis games) which also would give a canon reason to the more grown-up art style change of SA1 as he..well grew up. Everything should be in the same timeline for the mainline games as the awesome worldbuilding of the franchise being with Scrap Brain, the ARK, Chaos, the Lost Hex, Eggman's Colors thing, Gaia, Phantom Ruby etc all happening in the same world is always something I have appreciated. I hate using this comparison but the Dragon Ball to DBZ -> Classic to Modern sonic has always been such a cool thing for me as it felt like I too was growing up as the character did. (I'm 20).

As for any new Genesis-styled 2D classic games well I don't see why you can't just put those as adventures in between 3K and SA1, we don't have a specified time skip from that era and it would make the perfect amount of sense in my eyes.

Storybook games are also canon as they've been referenced since.

Last thing: in current "dimension canon crap" I raise a question to you all...WHO IN THE HELL IS DREAMCAST SONIC? If classic and modern are split characters...this enigma not only directly references the events of Sonic CD in Adventure 1 but "Modern" Sonic also fought Perfect Chaos in Generations....so who is this mysterious figure that knew about the classic games yet also apparently disappeared if Modern Sonic is treated as a different character?

Can anyone answer that "modern" sonic went through Sonic 1-3K?

Thats my ramble and TLDR: this is why I bought the encylcopedia.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  14. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

US
    There are exactly eight games including Generations between Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 in BlackHole's continuity timeline.

15. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    And the issue is...?

16. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

US
    You know what the issue is. It doesn't make any sense.

17. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    No, genuinely, explain it. It's what the thread is for.

18. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

BlackHole's transition from Sonic 2 to Sonic 3K is always controversial in this thread. :P

19. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

US
    We've literally had this conversation before. You know exactly what doesn't make sense about your classic timeline because it has already been explained to you.

20. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

I can see the future and the future will tell everyone that the correct timeline is mine.