don't click here

Sonic X-treme STI Engines, Saturn, PC, Win95-PC+NV1, +V37 Level Editor

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Andrew75, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Jollyroger

Jollyroger

The v040 we released has a bug in handling the textures UV coordinates for side walls.
    The code has already been fixed and the textures are now rotated in the correct direction, but I need to rewrite the code that calculates the polygons' texture W/Q coordinates on OpenGL, as currently it distorts the textures incorrectly.

Jolly

2. Jollyroger

Jollyroger

Sure, just because I have so much spare time ;)/>

3. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    awesome, this looks promising!!

I played the V040 on my mod chipped Saturn and it ran quite well - the load time at the start is quite long as stated but not as bad as I'd feared.

Amazing to play this on REAL hardware!!

I tried it on my Rhea equipped Saturn but with not much luck - I used Daemon tools and mounted the iso file to make a self boot image in disc juggler but still couldn't get it to boot on the Rhea(it acted as though the folder 01 on the card was empty).

(it has been a long while since I messed around with making self boot images from ISO files so I may have mounted the image wrong or something so I will have another play later)

4. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Can run this on my Saturn tonight, but I don't have a capture card, so iPhone video would have to do.

:(

Man, I'm just waiting and praying for the day when the source leaks so we can all actually work on this as a team. :)

5. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    We're only looking for capture card videos at the moment, already have the I-phone video.

6. I will look into trying to capture some Saturn footage tonight. Just need to figure out where in storage my Saturn is located and hope I can remember how to do the swap trick. Wish me luck! :eng101:

7. sebmal

sebmal

I am the man! Oldbie
    yeah I may have everything I need to do this hooked up 24/7 what about it

http://youtu.be/CFguVHf3NTA
    https://mega.co.nz/#!3YZX0AIQ!8XfsqPIpnJpC76WdxiCickx2WjcvYjEtZvR5qWz7FPQ

8. speedyink

speedyink

Hey guys, been keeping up with this since Jolly Roger discovered it, very cool stuff!

I made a little video of build 40 on the Saturn. I wasn't sure if anyone here would be interested, and if this isn't cool just let me know.

First off, no, it's not with a capture card, just with a proper video camera on a tripod. What I was trying to do was do a little explanation on the build as I show it, you know, not everyone has kept up with all the forum posts =P I don't get too technical, tried to make it so everyone could understand.

I'll probably keep doing this when more updates happen, mainly because I just enjoy doing this sort of thing. If there's an interest I can post them here, but if not that's cool too, I will continue to make them I just won't post them here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckqewQJMz2Q

I also wanted to say a big thank you to Jollyroger (and Andrew75 to a slightly lesser extent). This whole thing is amazing, I'm glad this fell into capable, generous hands. I never thought I would ever play the actual Sonic Xtreme on my Saturn =D

9. RazoZen

RazoZen

Moscow
    I was very exited to play SEGA Saturn version of this release. Waiting for new versions to play around =)

I also made a cover for it to store in my Sonic collection :D

[​IMG]

download

10. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    That's very nice !

11. Jollyroger

Jollyroger

Excellent!!

12. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Hey guys! New release ! This is unrelated to the new topic here: http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=34255 ( which is locked! sad face! Anyhow you wont be able to play this v037 on a modern system like the other release as its not a port, but the original. ( see notes below)

Edit:updated links to include unmodified level files that will work with the original engine.
    NV1/Win95 (The Original) 037 Release 001:
    (Old computer with NV1 Diamond Edge 3D graphics card required, Level files not included with this release but they can be found in the other V037 releases)
    Mega
    Mediafire

13. To Andrew, JollyRoger, and anyone else involved, I would like to say awesome job! :D

I haven't logged-in here in ages, but I've been following this thread immensely as of late. Seen the art above and also wanted to share for the long box peeps (if anyone wants 'em)

http://I.imgur.com/urQ0ipP.png
    http://I.imgur.com/2szoIN4.png

Warning, typos on the back-- I done this in about 1 1/2 hours... The excitement of this got to me and I was very tired. :P

14. speedyink

speedyink

Too cool, Andrew. It's awesome to have the original version released =D

Also, nice job on the box arts! My Sonic Xtreme disc is gonna be stored in style!

15. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Hey guys , updating the links for NV1 version for V037 engine to include the level files along with the engine, as the files for the modern PC port were modified to remove some issues, which renderd them incompatible with the original engine .
    Here is the engine again but with unmodified files which should work.

Mega
    Mediafire

Please note: The archive needs to be unzipped directly on C:\, so that it decompresses into a folder called "SONCBOOM"

16. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    I don't know why, but it seems whenever I try to play the demo builds, everything's completely white except for the sky which is completely light blue. Perhaps it could be an effect of not having a good enough computer?

17. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    That could be one possibility, could also be something else like the gfx card or driver has beef with the renderer for the engine, lol
    No idea! try updating your drivers and give it another spin, also what are your specs just in case someone else has similar specs that could help out.

18. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    This is just a short summary of my specs taken from the Hexchat System Info feature, but it should say enough:

19. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Yeah, uh, that'll make sure you can't run shit. Integrated video cards, especially those old Intel ones, cause a lot of problems.

Just to demonstrate:

[​IMG]

(yikes! I knew it was bad, but not that bad.)

20. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member

== V037 SONICBOOM Sonic X-Treme Level Editor ==

kudos to JollyRoger on another fine release!
    This is another "AS IS Release" so there are lot of bugs and issues as how it was found.

[​IMG]

NOTES:
    If you are missing a DLL, you may need to download the C++ x86 Redistributable. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784
    The readme file has a little more information on how to work the editor.
    We had initially planned to do a PDF guide with illustrations, but seriously lack the time to do something like that these days.
    Hoping we can get someone to write up an instruction guide and also someone to do some bug reports. ( there are a lot of issues that need to be documented)

SonicBoom "Sonic X-treme" Level editor for v037 levels. Release 001:
    Mega
    Hugefiles