don't click here

Sonic Lost World (Wii U, 3DS, PC) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 17, 2013.

1. Reckonusm

Reckonusm

Chile
    Recently I had a bug with the sound. In the middle of Silent Forest act 3 all sounds stopped and were replaced with a "buzz" sound, as if a radio had no signal and only plays static. The bug continued in the world map and in next stages but not in cutscenes. I will play tomorrow to see if that was an one-time issue. If not, GG, the buzz sound is untolerable for me to play.

2. Thousand Pancake

Thousand Pancake

Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the m Member
    Aren't the physics in Lost World supposed to be hardcoded?

3. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    You know, I've been playing Tribes: Ascend recently and whenever somebody goes off about how a 3D Sonic game should have more momentum based stuff, that's what I think of. That honestly sounds like an awful platformer.

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Like this:
    They get used to stuff they initially hate. Like having a crappy job or living next to a dumpster.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Like I don't really see how proper slope physics are possible in this game just due to its design. How would the game know what's a slope vs a gravity altering surface? Maybe there's a trigger for that or something in the code, not sure, but I feel like given this games play style that'd just cause more problems. What's a legit slope? When does a rounded surface turn from slope to gravity altering surface? Why do physics apply here but not there? Things like that.

I mean I just don't think this game is for you Mr. Lange. And I just like to remember this whenever I see a Sonic game I think is garbage come out. They can't take away the classics. They're just as good as they were when they came out. Disappointing that this game isn't what we may have wanted, but they weren't trying to make that game. They wanted to make Super Sonic Galaxy. I mean the giant springs are internally called "Star Launchers" and you fight against not Bowser and the 5 not Koopalings throughout the tropes of Super Mario Bros 3.

6. Conando

Conando

Is not, in fact, Raphael Member
    Lynn, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    Bit late, but I also set the Nvidia gpu as the primary one in the Nvidia Control Panel, also have the latest drivers and GeForce Experience. It's not like turning off auto-select had any negative effects anyway, as it still decides to use the Intel Card by default for things where it's actually a better idea to use it (video and browsing).

7. Mors

Mors

Fangame Creator Member
    Turkey
    Super Mario Flashback
    I think you misunderstood my post. I didn't hate the game, I actually enjoyed it (mostly). I said I need to get used to it because this game is really different than previous Sonic games and I try to play like a regular Sonic game.
    And I think having to get used to controls in a game is just horrible

8. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    I considered that. But since the game makes a distinction between gravitational surfaces, it seems possible (if the rest is even feasible) to detect when a curve is gravity based. The game would treat these curves like flat ground.

Sonic games were for me. This is claiming to be a Sonic game. Any other game, I could walk away from it saying "this game isn't for me". I cannot so easily do that with the Sonic series. This is supposed to be for me. This is in a sense false advertising. If the Mario series at some point turned into games where Mario is stuck to an autoscrolling track and you time button presses by on-screen prompts to make Mario do automatic jump sequences, Mario fans aren't going to go "well it's just different now I guess these games aren't for me, good on Nintendo for trying new things". They would say "what the fuck is this shit what the hell are you doing Nintendo, this is not what we go to the Mario series for and this is indeed much worse than what you used to give us".

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'm 11 achievements/missions away from beating them all. Can't wait to see how Sega won't reward me this time :specialed:

10. Felik

Felik

Are there usually rewards for beating achievements in games?

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    No, but Lost World Wii U was special. When you beat all the missions you get a screen that pops up and says something along the lines of "CONGRATULATIONS! Here's something special for you," only you don't get anything.

12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I really want to weigh in on this whole "Lost World doesn't isn't a Sonic game because physics and level design" thing, but I think we've all had this discussion before. Who else is fed up of it by now?

Pffffffffft I totally forgot about that! IIRC none of the patches ever added this mystery reward, but did any of them ever remove that message? I 100%'d the game before the patches were released, so I've never found out.

13. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    I was fed up a long time ago. It's stupid to bash a game just for not working the same way as its predecessors. This game doesn't have classic Sonic physics because it doesn't NEED them. It is designed around this fact, and it works perfectly well. And I'm just incredibly sick of Super Mario Galaxy comparisons. That is just one of the most superficial comparisons I've ever heard.

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Can you guys please elaborate on why?

15. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    I understand why, at first glance, someone might think it looks like Galaxy. But beyond the disconnected landmasses with their own gravity (which, by the way, Sonic has done before, anyway), there really isn't anything connecting the two games. Super Mario Galaxy uses gravity as a platforming mechanic, Lost World uses it to facilitate multiple pathways without spreading things out too much. They have entirely different level design to accommodate their contrasting play styles. They're both colorful, unrealistic games, but their artistic directions are undoubtedly unique from each other. People accuse Lost World of failing where Galaxy succeeded, but Lost World DOES succeed, just not in the same way that Galaxy did.

16. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    It's not stupid to bash a game for having far less mechanically than its predecessors. You act like it's insane or moronic to hold a game up to the standards set by previous entries. That's appropriate to do when judging a game that's part of a series.
    If it's not going to play like a Sonic game at all, why call it a Sonic game? Spinoffs aside obviously, which this is not. Again, I expect a Sonic experience from a Sonic game, not random arbitrary crap that slaps Sonic's name on it for no reason other than to sell.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    YES CONFIRMED. YOU GET NOTHING :specialed:

However they did change the message. Now it just says "Congratulations, you cleared all the missions" and it doesn't allude to any reward. So that's one way to fix it I guess.

18. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    I'm not trying to insult anybody. I'm just saying that a game series shouldn't be limited by the expectations of a few diehard fans who think that only classic physics will save it. As soon as I see that as an argument as to why a Sonic game is bad, I dismiss the argument. Unless a game is designed with classic physics in mind, it doesn't need them.

19. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Pretty sure you'd have to change the game's level design to make it work after doing all of that, if it's even possible to change the game's controls and physics.

Aside from that, this isn't a normal Sonic game, and it's not supposed to be one. You can't make it one by changing how the game controls/physics are done cause the game's designed around how Sonic Team did it.

20. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

It doesn't play like a Classic Sonic game. It does however still play like a Sonic game, with a lot of the key elements intact in in very different ways to the classics. It's a platformer wherein linear speed is a really important factor, levels are dotted with simple objects to help push you forward, and Sonic's most basic moveset is the same as ever. This is true of just about every single Sonic game from Adventure onwards, and that would even include the likes of Sonic 4 (but not RoL, for example). The boost games are a totally different beast to the Classics, but are still just as much "Sonic" as Lost World is. But they are different. They intentionally do the same things in very different ways.

YMMV on what makes a Sonic game. What makes a Classic Sonic game isn't up for discussion really, since that's much more clear-cut. And it's why we all gave S4 (and Gens Classic to a lesser extent) so much shit, but Unleashed and Colours got off fine because they were still competent games. Personally I think that almost every single game in the series would benefit hugely from going back to the Classic physics, level designs and object behaviours as a basic framework and building up from there, basically like Adventure 1 did. Lost World in particular would make leaps and bounds if it merged it's own ideals with the Classics. That's basically the game I thought Lost World was going to be. The final product is mostly enjoyable to me in it's own regard, but at the same time it's certainly not 'right'.

The Mario and generic platformer comparisons are far from unfounded, even if you want to clutch to the straw-man argument that Sonic did planetoids first. Binary movement speeds, almost no physics-based platforming, angular/flat level design and arguably even the aesthetics like the visuals, themes and story are decidedly different to what could be used to define Sonic. I think it still ticks a number of other boxes though. It's not perfect, but it does several things that I look for and I can enjoy for those reasons.