don't click here

Sonic Hacking Contest 2022

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Spanner, Feb 27, 2022.

1. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    [​IMG]
    It's that time of the year again...

We said last time we won’t do a March announcement and we made good on that word….the week before March.

Sorry about that but as you know, reviewing and planning the contest takes time, along with Judges’ personal and work commitments too. Hopefully we’ll be able to announce earlier next time.

In any case, people have more than enough time to plan for this year, and there will be those intending to submit, who have been working on potential entries long before this announcement.

As with last year, all information regarding the Contest and Expo this year can be accessed by going to this page.

We have made a few changes to this year’s event, including an Entrants Code of Conduct, a few new trophies, and all trophies this year will be themed, which you can still suggest new trophies by clicking on this link.

Here are the dates to remember for this year:

CONTEST SUBMISSIONS DEADLINE: End of Sunday 4th September
    CONTEST UPDATES DEADLINE: End of Sunday 11th September
    EXPO SUBMISSIONS DEADLINE: End of Sunday 25th September
    CONTEST WEEK FROM: Monday 10th to Sunday 16th October

If you have any questions regarding this year, you can use this thread, or contact us on the SHC Discord Server.

If there are any issues, please contact us directly using the Contact Us Form available on the page.

Please stay tuned to this thread for information on the usual trailer and when the website opens for submissions.

It will be up when it's up.™

Ready, Set, Procrastinate!!

[​IMG]
    20 YEARS - 19 CONTESTS

2. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
  3. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
  4. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    We are now LIVE and ready to take your submissions to this year's Hacking Contest and Expo.

Please submit your entries on https://shc.zone and refer to the rules on how to submit, the quality control and of course, how to submit to this year's trailer.

Anyone especially submitting 2DPC entries (+ S3 AIR), please check to see if your entry is eligible for the Contest or Expo.

On the website, we have added some highly requested features in the forms of One Click Installs for most mod loaders for quick and easy playing as well multiple upload support which can also be limited to Media Panel and / or Judges to allow for exclusive uploads such as save files so your entry can be played to your requests.

This should address a few issues identified on previous contest weeks, however we hope to add a few more features as well to the site, which will be ready for the Contest Week, and much more.

The Splash Screens have also been updated for this year, although the RSDK screens are awaiting an update, so please bear with us whilst we implement this. We also have a Splash Screen ready for Sonic 3 A.I.R mods too.

A reminder of the important dates:

CONTEST SUBMISSIONS DEADLINE: End of Sunday 4th September
    CONTEST UPDATES DEADLINE: End of Sunday 11th September
    EXPO SUBMISSIONS DEADLINE: End of Sunday 25th September
    TRAILER CLIPS DEADLINE: End of Sunday 25th September
    CONTEST WEEK FROM: Monday 10th to Sunday 16th October

If anyone has any issue with trying to submit, or have any questions, do let us know, either on here or you can visit the SHC Discord.

5. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

This is your reminder that you have a week remaining to submit your entries to the Contest.

Judges will check your entries to ensure they meet the Quality Control Criteria.

You then have a one week period to refine your entries for final submission.

The Expo deadline is later this month.

[​IMG]

6. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    A reminder that our first deadline is coming up, with the submissions deadline at the end of this Sunday - here's a handy guide courtesy of Cinossu:
    [​IMG]
    If you have something you want to showcase AND be judged by our judges and the community, the Contest is where you can enter.

If you just want exposure, without judging, submit to the Expo. The Contest Week is THE place for the most exposure of Sonic hacks and mods every year.

Choose between getting your entry judged and critiqued for the possibility of winning trophies (and we'll name those new names soon), or enter just for fun.

As long as you meet our criteria at https://shc.zone, all Sonic hacks and mods are welcome to enter this year.

7. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

[​IMG]

This is a reminder to Contest entrants that you have until the end of Sunday 11th September to finalise your entries and mark them as COMPLETE to proceed further.

Incomplete entries will be moved to the Expo.

We will contact those whose entries are being moved, and those whose entries are being rejected altogether, from Monday.

8. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    A few days remain, here is your reminder to submit your Expo entry and mark it as COMPLETE if you want to showcase it to the biggest audience of the year for Sonic hacks and mods.

You have until the end of this Sunday 25th September to submit. Entries will be announced after the quality control has been completed.

Remember, Expo entries are NOT ELIGIBLE for trophies, either from Judged or Community.

Entries MAY be played by streamers, but there is NO GUARANTEE they can show EVERY SHC entry.

All hacks and mods that meet our Quality Control Criteria are eligible to submit. And don't forget about those trailer clips too!
    [​IMG]

9. DeltaWooloo

DeltaWooloo

Be a boss-man and come to my big and tall man shop Member
    Alright, to those who have submitted to the contest/expo (and is a mod that is in the Retro section), I'm willing to do the honours and test your hacks/make a playthrough of it as early as I can as I'll most likely be busy over the contest week to be recording and playing everything.

If you've been looking at my YouTube channel, you may notice that my playthroughs from a few notable hacks from last year's contest were pretty popular on my channel and led to more people trying these mods and spreading the word about the hacking contest. I want this to happen again, and I'm willing to share more entries with the public than with what I had last year, hence why I'm open to doing it now than later. The only thing I'll say is if I record your mods, I'll upload them either a day before or during the contest week as soon as possible since I don't want to spoil what you have to offer.

If you have a hack that's in the contest/expo that meets these requirements: it's not a one-zone demo containing another GHZ/EHZ reskin and/or and it packs some cool features/goodies that you think it's worth showing (i.e. Sonic 2 but with your twists), then feel free to PM me. (also, before anyone asks, no, I'm not making a profit from these videos. My channel isn't eligible enough to make it as of writing this lol)

I forgot to mention that I will also give you feedback in the description. I'll be as critical as I can.

Again, feel free to PM me your mods, and we'll see where we can go from here. :)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
  10. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    It goes without saying that I, too, am always up to provide playthroughs, either after the contest (in which case I'll simply play random entries I like) or as a premiere if you contact me in advance.

11. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    The official SHC2022 trailer by Blue Vivacity will be premiered at 5pm EDT / 10pm GMT.

LIST OF CONTEST ENTRIES - 40 IN TOTAL

Retro Category:

· SHC2022 Sonic.EXE mega drive by lavagaming1

· Silver Sonic: Rise of the Death Egg by Roebloz & TheLesha

· Sonic & Johnny by Lone Devil

· Sonic 1 – Score Rush by Giovanni

· SONIC DELTA 40Mb (Sonic Delta Next) by Neto

· Sonic Skychaser by GTKoopa

· Sonic Sunventure by Scrap Sorra

· Sonic the Hedgehog 2 – Anniversary Edition – Pink Update by SophieDude

· Sonic the Hedgehog 3 Plus by BigTaste

· Sonic the Hedgehog Megadriven (SHC DEMO) by Darkex

· Sonic the Hedgehog: Isle of Magnetic Artifacts by Neo Team Kyukyoku

3D Category:

· Customizable Sonic by Lady_Lunanova

· DLC Restoration by DeaTh

· Frozen Hill by Nikauu

· Modern Sonic Adventure 2 v6: The Trial [SPEED STAGE DEMO] by _DEXTERITY_

· SADX Chaos Edition V2 by VertiasDL

· SM64 Generations by Skyth

· Sonic 06 Definitive Experience v4.0 & STH2006 Project Demo 5 Mission Extravaganza by brianuuu

· Sonic 06 Legacy of Solaris by JotaroPowered

· Sonic Forces Re-Imagined – SHC 2022 Demo by brandonj

· Sonic Riders DX Version 2.0 by Extreme Gears Labs

· Sonic Unleashed: Reimagined by Sticks_Unleashed

2DPC Category:

· Achievements Plus+ (and Coins!) by fadeinside

· Additional Characters by Sotaknuck

· Agent Stone in Sonic 3 A.I.R by HazelSpooder

· Eggman 3 Angel Island Revisited by Bluesteak

· Knuckles’ Emerald Hunt DX by MainMemory & KarlEmerald

· Master System Mode by Sotaknuck

· Mephiles’ Hunt by Sotaknuck

· Mighty and Ray in Sonic 3 A.I.R. by iCloudius

· Sonic 2 – Boss Attack Plus v2 by Metal Shadow Productions

· Sonic 3 A.I.R. D.A. Garden Edition by Thorn & D.A. Garden

· Sonic 3 Redesigned by GFX32

· Sonic 3D in 2D Glitches: Sonic 3 with Bluckles by Sotaknuck

· Sonic CD Randomizer by MainMemory

· Sonic CD Restored by PimpUigi

· Sonic Mania – Knuckles Plus by jubbalub

· SONIC MANIA VR – Mission Mode by jubbalub

· Sonic the Hedgehog Vintage – 2022 Demonstration by ZachmanAwesomeness

· Super Mario in Sonic 3 AIR by Dynamic_Lemons

LIST OF EXPO ENTRIES – ALSO 40 IN TOTAL

Retro Category:

· Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine - Spanish Translations (Español Latino | Español de España) - V2.1 by RadioTails

· Klonoa the Cabbit in Sonic 1 by baraksha

· SHC2022 Sonic eggman’s conquest by lavagaming1

· Sonic & Knuckles Collection Randomizer by MainMemory

· SONIC & KNUCKLES Russian language translation by Nik_Pi

· Sonic 1 Prototype Ultimate (Demo) by MattGamer

· Sonic 1: Flying Palmtrees Edition by FatalPepper66

· Sonic 1: Unfinished Example Remade [SHC22 Expo Demo] by DarkShamilKhan

· Sonic 2: The Secret Zones by CamManS5

· Sonic Battle: Revised Edition (BETA v1.1) by SpudNinja

· Sonic CD with Faster Time Warps (Palmtree Panic Act 1 Demo) by Ralakimus

· Sonic Eternity (Demo) by 29yami

· Sonic Learns the SpinSwim by LittleFieryOne

· Sonic Maxidrive (SHC 2022 Demo) by Speems

· Sonic Overclocked SHC Demo by RobiWanKenobi

· Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Pink Edition by E-122-Psi

· Sonitroid (Prototype) by Scrap Sorra

· STH: Atomic Disaster (SHC Demo) by lemonSAGE

· The worst Sonic the Hedgehog romhack (featuring mario) by Sonic_the_dutch_hedgehog

· Tidal tempest on the mega drive by lavagaming1

3D Category:

· Better Emerald Coast by AtomicCody

· BounceAttack+ by Lady_Lunanova

· Classic Metal Sonic in Forces by RobowilOFFICIAL

· Definitive Frontiers HUD for Generations by NextinHKRY

· Episode Blaze – Reimagined Mini-DLC by Sticks_Unleashed

· Female Sonic by kawaiikaorichan

· Gameplay Overhaul Mod v1.0 by Proto_DX

· Jesus Custom Levels (v1.2.1) by Jesus_PK

· Sonic 06 – Amy Rose Improvement Mod EX by Rei-san and OtterWithAController

· Sonic Adventure 2 Chaos Mod for Nintendo Gamecube by evilartnboy

· Sonic Unleashed: Encore by Sticks_Unleashed

· Trans Fem Sonic (Gameplay Demo) V1.5 by Lady_Lunanova

· Werehog Wiimprovement by SuperrSonic

2DPC Category:

· CD Style Characters by RetroForever

· HYPERMANIA (DECOMP ONLY) by CBTBSD

· RSDKv5 Decomp SMPS Mod by MainMemory

· Sonic 3 & Knuckles Experience by SonicProductivity

· Sonic CD New Special Stages by MainMemory

· SONIC REMIXED – THE EGDE OF TOMORROW by Dreamcast Team

· Sonic.EXE Mania Abyss by haloarbiter117

Themed Trophy Names:

· 1st Place: Sonic

· 2nd Place: Tails

· 3rd Place: Knuckles

· Best Visual: Quartz Quadrant

· Best Technical: Hexadecimal

· Best Audio: D.A. Garden

· Best Level Design: Chemical Plant

· Best Special Stage Design: Radiant Emerald

· Best in Show (Media Panel): Studiopolis

· Most Entertaining: Professor Pickle

· Most WTF: Polygon Jim

· Best Team Entry: Chaotix

· Best Multiplayer Entry: Triple Trouble

· Best Cutscenes: Storybook

· Best Character Implementation: Emerl

· Best Boss Design: Egg Robo

· Best Enemy Design: Motobug

· Best Fresh Concept Using Existing Concepts As A Backbone: Mania

· Best Entry of a Game Not Commonly Modified (new trophy): Spinball

· Most Potential: Blaze

· Most Improved: Silver

Best Level Layout will be merged with Best Level Design.

Best Moves will be merged with Best Character Implementation.

We do intend on splitting them further into category specific names in the future, however for now, if Chemical Plant can be in Sonic 2, Generations and Mania, we can do similar for our trophies.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
  12. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
  13. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

We are now LIVE. You can now download and play all of the Contest and Expo entries for this year's contest.

We have renamed the Best Multiplayer Trophy to be something more fitting. What was once the Triple Trouble trophy is now the Rivals trophy.

Please check out the schedule for the dates and times your favourite streamers will be playing this year's entries.

If you have any issues with any of the entries, such as set-up of a particular entry, or other general queries, please join us on the Sonic Hacking Contest Discord where we will be happy to help you.

14. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Of course the hacking contest had to collide with the busiest days at my new job, so I won't be able to pull out as many videos as I would have liked to -.-

Either way, I'm going to drop a couple of links here:
    preview video of SHIMA, speedrun of Sonic & Johnny.

I'll try to do more whenever I can, my job should end within a few days anyway. The joys of being a substitute teacher.

Update: playthrough of Sonic 1 Score Rush.

My job ended, so expect more videos soon.

Update: demo gameplay of Sonic the Hedgehog Megadriven, gameplay of Sonic Skychaser.

Update: demo gameplay of Sonic 1: Flying Palmtrees Edition.

Update: demo gameplay of Sonic Maxidrive.

Update: another speedrun of Sonic & Johnny.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
  15. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
  16. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    [​IMG]

Twenty years ago, the Sonic Hacking Contest started, run by Ayla for many years. The winner of that first contest in 2002 was Sonic 2 Delta…20 years later, the hack is still going, as Sonic Delta 40mb.

Things have massively changed over these 20 years (and 19 contests), we have gone from binary ROM editing with a hex editor and a few tools, to split disassemblies and bringing more flexibility to game modification. But we also have 3D entries too, on many consoles and PC, and for the last few years, mods based on the Retro Engine Sonic games, with decompilations available and tools in the works, offering another way to mod games, rather than just the traditional 16-bit method. There are more people making entries than ever before, no matter when they first started playing Sonic.

The contest itself has changed in these last 20 years. We have gone from private entries being shown behind closed doors to judges only, to fully public entries where everyone can access them. We went from deadlines being missed out and late results at times, to guaranteed set dates.

We went from only offering a contest, to having an expo option where people can choose not for them to be judged. We used to have judges look at everything possible – now they are split between three categories, for judging to be easily managed, and looked at in finer detail than ever before. The introduction of the Evaluations, gave detailed explanations and opinions on each enrty.

We have gone from just being promoted on a few Sonic hacking sites (some still around, some no longer with us) to wider exposure through its own website and the interactive Contest Week, with entries easily accessible, streams during the week on YouTube and Twitch, and of course, allowing the public to vote for their own trophies, something people would not have expected decades ago.

And whilst it all used to happen on forums and IRC channels, these days there are other places to discuss hacks and mods too, such as Twitter and the many various Discord servers out there that cater to different types of games and so on, for people to learn the craft and make their own.

I do not want to thank just this year’s participants, judges, streamers and of course those who played the entries this week. But every single person over the last twenty years who, at some point of their time on the internet, took part in the Sonic Hacking Contest. I hope in twenty years later, we will still have the SHC, in some form or another, and the same applies for fangames with SAGE.

People come and go, their interests and their lives change, but these entries are eternal, especially with the SHC Vault for the last ten years, keeping these entries available for years to come. Without the people who participate, there is no Sonic Hacking Contest. To keep this up for two decades is remarkable and impressive. Who could think in 2002 that the SHC would still be here in 2022.

That being said, for all the pushing about it being SHC’s 20th Anniversary, we weren’t able to celebrate it this week and we are truly sorry about it. We have a few ideas in mind to do something about that, although we have shown many old entries before through the previous pre shows.

And now, here are the results for this year’s Sonic Hacking Contest!

THE TOP THREE OF EACH CATEGORY

RETRO: SONIC TROPHY - 1ST PLACE – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

Sonic the Hedgehog: Isle of Magnetic Artifacts by Neo Team Kyukyoku

3D: SONIC TROPHY - 1ST PLACE – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

Frozen Hill by Nikauu

2DPC: SONIC TROPHY - 1ST PLACE – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

Knuckles’ Emerald Hunt DX by MainMemory & KarlEmerald

--

RETRO: TAILS TROPHY - 2ND PLACE – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

Sonic & Johnny by Lone Devil

3D: TAILS TROPHY – 2ND PLACE – JUDGED

Sonic 06 Definitive Experience v4.0 & STH2006 Project Demo 5 Mission Extravaganza by brianuuu

3D: TAILS TROPHY – 2ND PLACE – COMMUNITY

Sonic Forces Re-imagined - SHC 2022 Demo by brandonj

2DPC: TAILS TROPHY – 2ND PLACE – JUDGED

Sonic 3 Redesigned by GFX32

2DPC: TAILS TROPHY – 2ND PLACE – COMMUNITY

Mighty and Ray in Sonic 3 A.I.R by iCloudius

RETRO: KNUCKLES TROPHY - 3RD PLACE – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

Sonic Sunventure by Scrap Sorra

3D: KNUCKLES TROPHY – 3RD PLACE – JUDGED

SADX Chaos Edition V2 by VeritasDL

3D: KNUCKLES TROPHY – 3RD PLACE – COMMUNITY

Sonic 06 Definitive Experience v4.0 & STH2006 Project Demo 5 Mission Extravaganza by brianuuu

2DPC: KNUCKLES TROPHY – 3RD PLACE – JUDGED

Sonic 3 A.I.R: D.A. Garden Edition by Thorn & D.A. Garden

2DPC: KNUCKLES TROPHY – 3RD PLACE – COMMUNITY

Eggman 3 Angel Island Revisited by Bluesteak

RETRO CATEGORY TROPHIES:

QUARTZ QUADRANT TROPHY - BEST VISUAL – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

D.A. GARDEN TROPHY - BEST AUDIO – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

HEXADECIMAL TROPHY - BEST TECHNICAL – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

Sonic Delta 40Mb by Neto

CHEMICAL PLANT TROPHY - BEST LEVEL DESIGN - JUDGED

Sonic and Johnny by Lone Devil

HONOURABLE MENTION: Sonic the Hedgehog: Isle of Magnetic Artifacts by Neo Team Kyukyoku

CHEMICAL PLANT TROPHY - BEST LEVEL DESIGN – COMMUNITY

HONOURABLE MENTION: Sonic & Johnny by Lone Devil

RADIANT EMERALD TROPHY - BEST SPECIAL STAGE DESIGN

Null Vote - Not Awarded

PROFESSOR PICKLE TROPHY - MOST ENTERTAINING – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

COMMUNITY HONOURABLE MENTION: Sonic the Hedgehog: Isle of Magnetic Artifacts by Neo Team Kyukyoku

POLYGON JIM TROPHY - MOST WTF?! – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

SHC2022 Sonic.EXE mega drive by lavagaming1

CHAOTIX TROPHY: BEST TEAM ENTRY – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

RIVALS TROPHY: BEST MULTIPLAYER ENTRY – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

STORYBOOK TROPHY - BEST CUTSCENES - JUDGED

Sonic Delta 40mb (Sonic Delta Next) by Neto

NOT AWARDED BY THE COMMUNITY

EMERL TROPHY - BEST CHARACTER IMPLEMENTATION – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

Sonic & Johnny by Lone_Devil

JUDGES HONOURABLE MENTION: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Anniversary Edition - Pink Update by Sophiedude

EGGROBO TROPHY - BEST BOSS DESIGN - JUDGED

Sonic Skychaser by GTKoopa

HONOURABLE MENTION: Sonic & Johnny by Lone Devil

EGGROBO TROPHY - BEST BOSS DESIGN - COMMUNITY

HONOURABLE MENTION: Sonic Skychaser by GTKoopa

MOTOBUG TROPHY - BEST ENEMY DESIGN - JUDGED

Null Vote - Not Awarded

MOTOBUG TROPHY - BEST ENEMY DESIGN – COMMUNITY

MANIA TROPHY - BEST FRESH CONCEPT USING EXISTING CONCEPTS AS A BACKBONE – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

Sonic 1 - Score Rush by Giovanni

SPINBALL TROPHY - BEST ENTRY OF A GAME NOT COMMONLY MODIFIED – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

Silver Sonic: Rise of the Death Egg by Roebloz & TheLesha

BLAZE TROPHY: MOST POTENTIAL - JUDGED

JUDGED: Sonic Sunventure by Scrap Sorra

HONOURABLE MENTION: Sonic the Hedgehog: Isle of Magnetic Artifacts by Neo Team Kyukyoku

BLAZE TROPHY: MOST POTENTIAL - COMMUNITY

SILVER TROPHY: MOST IMPROVED – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

JUDGED: Sonic Sunventure by Scrap Sorra

STUDIOPOLIS TROPHY - BEST VOTED BY MEDIA PANEL

3D CATEGORY TROPHIES

QUARTZ QUADRANT TROPHY – BEST VISUAL – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

Frozen Hill by Nikauu

D.A. GARDEN TROPHY – BEST AUDIO – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

Null Vote – Not Awarded

HEXADECIMAL TROPHY – BEST TECHNICAL – JUDGED

DLC Restoration by ĐeäTh

HEXADECIMAL TROPHY – BEST TECHNICAL – COMMUNITY

SM64 Generations by Skyth

CHEMICAL PLANT TROPHY – BEST LEVEL DESIGN – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

Frozen Hill by Nikauu

RADIANT EMERALD TROPHY – BEST SPECIAL STAGE DESIGN – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

Null Vote – Not Awarded

PROFESSOR PICKLE TROPHY – MOST ENTERTAINING – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

SADX Chaos Edition V2 by VertiasDL

COMMUNITY HONORABLE MENTION: SM64 Generations by Skyth

POLYGON JIM TROPHY – MOST WTF?! – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

SADX Chaos Edition V2 by VertiasDL

CHAOTIX TROPHY – BEST TEAM ENTRY – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

Sonic Riders DX Version 2.0 by Extreme Gear Labs

RIVALS TROPHY – BEST MULTIPLAYER ENTRY – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

Sonic Riders DX Version 2.0 by Extreme Gear Labs

STORYBOOK TROPHY – BEST CUTSCENES – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

Null Vote – Not Awarded

EMERL TROPHY – BEST CHARACTER IMPLEMENTATION – JUDGED

EMERL TROPHY – BEST CHARACTER IMPLEMENTATION – COMMUNITY

SM64 Generations by Skyth

EGGROBO TROPHY – BEST BOSS DESIGN – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

Null Vote – Not Awarded

MOTOBUG TROPHY – BEST ENEMY DESIGN – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

Null Vote – Not Awarded

MANIA TROPHY – BEST FRESH CONCEPT USING EXISTING CONCEPTS AS A BACKBONE – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

Customizable Sonic by Lady_Lunanova

SPINBALL TROPHY – BEST ENTRY OF A GAME NOT COMMONLY MODIFIED – JUDGED

DLC Restoration by ĐeäTh

HONOURABLE MENTION: Sonic Riders DX Version 2.0 by Extreme Gear Labs

SPINBALL TROPHY – BEST ENTRY OF A GAME NOT COMMONLY MODIFIED – COMMUNITY

Sonic Riders DX Version 2.0 by Extreme Gears Labs

HONOURABLE MENTION: Sonic Unleashed: Reimagined by Sticks_Unleashed

BLAZE TROPHY – MOST POTENTIAL – JUDGED

HONOURABLE MENTION - Sonic Forces Re-imagined - SHC 2022 Demo by brandonj

BLAZE TROPHY – MOST POTENTIAL – COMMUNITY

SILVER TROPHY – MOST IMPROVED – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

JUDGES’ HONOURABLE MENTION – DLC Restoration by ĐeäTh

STUDIOPOLIS TROPHY – BEST VOTED IN MEDIA PANEL – FOUR WAY TIE

DLC Restoration by ĐeäTh

Sonic Riders DX Version 2.0 by Extreme Gears Labs

2DPC CATEGORY TROPHIES

QUARTZ QUADRANT TROPHYY – BEST VISUAL – JUDGED

SONIC MANIA VR - Mission Mode by jubbalub

QUARTZ QUADRANT TROPHYY – BEST VISUAL – COMMUNITY

Agent Stone in Sonic 3 A.I.R by HazelSpooder

D.A. GARDEN TROPHY – BEST AUDIO – JUDGED

D.A. GARDEN TROPHY – BEST AUDIO – COMMUNITY

Null Vote – Not Awarded

HEXADECIMAL TROPHY – BEST TECHNICAL – JUDGED

Sonic CD Randomizer by MainMemory

HONOURABLE MENTION: Achievements Plus+ (and Coins!) by fadeinside

HEXADECIMAL TROPHY – BEST TECHNICAL – COMMUNITY

Achievements Plus+ (and Coins!) by fadeinside

HONOURABLE MENTION: Sonic CD Randomizer by MainMemory

CHEMICAL PLANT TROPHY – BEST LEVEL DESIGN – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

Sonic 3 A.I.R: D.A. Garden Edition by Thorn and D.A. Garden

COMMUNITY HONOURABLE MENTION: Sonic 3 Redesigned by GFX32

RADIANT EMERALD TROPHY – BEST SPECIAL STAGES – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

Null Vote – Not Awarded

PROFESSOR PICKLE TROPHY – MOST ENTERTAINING – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

Eggman 3 Angel Island Revisited by Bluesteak

COMMUNITY HONOURABLE MENTIONS to both Mephilies Hunt by Sotaknuck and Super Mario in Sonic 3 AIR by Dynamic_Lemons – a very close result in this trophy.

POLYGON JIM TROPHY – MOST WTF?! – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

Null Vote – Not Awarded

CHAOTIX TROPHY – BEST TEAM ENTRY – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

Null Vote – Not Awarded

RIVALS TROPHY – BEST MULTIPLAYER ENTRY – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

Null Vote – Not Awarded

STORYBOOK TROPHY – BEST CUTSCENES – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

Null Vote – Not Awarded

EMERL TROPHY – BEST CHARACTER IMPLEMENTATION – JUDGED

Additional Characters by Sotaknuck

EMERL TROPHY – BEST CHARACTER IMPLEMENTATION – COMMUNITY

Mighty and Ray in Sonic 3 A.I.R by iCloudius

EGGROBO TROPHY – BEST BOSS DESIGN – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

Agent Stone in Sonic 3 A.I.R by HazelSpooder

MOTOBUG TROPHY – BEST ENEMY DESIGN – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

Null Vote – Not Awarded

MANIA TROPHY – BEST FRESH CONCEPT USING EXISTING CONCEPTS AS A BACKBONE – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

SPINBALL TROPHY – BEST ENTRY OF A GAME NOT COMMONLY MODIFIED – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

Null Vote – Not Awarded

BLAZE TROPHY – MOST POTENTIAL – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

Sonic the Hedgehog Vintage - 2022 Demonstration by ZachmanAwesomeness

COMMUNITY HONOURABLE MENTION – Sonic 3 Redesigned by GFX32

SILVER TROPHY – MOST IMPROVED – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

Null Vote – Not Awarded

STUDIOPOLIS TROPHY – BEST VOTED BY MEDIA PANEL – JUDGED AND COMMUNITY

Knuckles’ Emerald Hunt DX by MainMemory & KarlEmerald

HONOURABLE MENTION: Agent Stone in Sonic 3 A.I.R by HazelSpooder

SHC is an annual event where hacks and mods come together to showcase for all the fans who want to play them, with many streamers coming on board to take time out of their very busy schedules to participate – and of course, let’s not forget about those who judge the trophies too.

Sadly a few judges were unable to participate this year, due to personal circumstances, or unexpectedly becoming too busy to meet the expectations of voting for trophies and providing evaluations. This was beyond our control this year. Evaluations will therefore be delayed, like we have before, for at least a few days to allow judges who have not finished, to complete their entries.

We may be considering earlier deadlines next year, to ensure things are all filtered and judged in good time. We may also consider making changes to the trophy voting itself, to change how voting is done. At the end of the day, we want a great contest week, there’s always new things we can do.

Next year, we will be looking at introducing new judges to fill in the gaps, in particular as this year has shown – people with the knowledge and experience of modding Sonic 3 AIR. A number of other changes will also be made. A brand new website, built from the ground up, will be on its way to better the user experience and bring people requested features people have asked for some time. We will also look at enhancing the themed trophies, naming them differently per category.

For a few years, the contest week has been in the middle of October as this generally is the best time for the majority of people to be available. On this occasion, unlike last year, we will not announce next year’s Contest Week date at this time as we determine if this date should remain or if we should change it to something else, however please assume like always, there will be a SHC, so if you have something you want to submit next year, please continue to do so, and get ready for 2023.

Special Thanks:

· Cinossu – Web Development and Graphics

· SeanieB – Server Hosting

· Blue Vivacity – Official Trailer

· ShogunDX – Stream Graphics and Trophy Template

· ĐeäTh, Sewer56 - Compiling the trophy slide graphics and scheduling on Twitter.

· CalamityJames – Now Playing Stream Overlay

· MarkeyJester, Lave Slime, Cyber1204, ĐeäTh – 2022 Splash Screen Updates

· The Duck Dealer – 1st / 2nd / 3rd Place 3D Trophy GIFs

· All the judges this year who were able to participate:

o Retro: · D.A. Garden, Jubbalub, Ravenfreak, Spanner, SSF1991 (Donnie), SuperEgg and Yoshister

o 3D: Dario FF, ĐeäTh, HyperBE32, ItsEasyActually, Melpontro, Sajid, Sewer56, Skyth, SpeepsHighway, SSF1991 (Donnie) and TwilightZoney

o 2DPC: Axanery, D.A. Garden (who stepped in to help with A.I.R entries), Jubbalub, LJSTAR, RMGRich (chuli), Rubberduckycooly, SSF1991 (Donnie) and SuperSonic16

· pixelcat – Previous involvement with the contest this year.

· Sewer56, MainMemory, Sajid, SuperSonic16 – One-click mod loader support.

· MainMemory – identifying issues with two 2DPC entries that we could not run at first.

· Ayla – Without her, the SHC would not have happened.

· The Media Panel – Landy, Sonic Stadium (GX + nuckles87), Argick, Chaomix, redhotsonic, MegaGWolf, SomecallmeJohnny, JustJesss, TailsChannel (Dakiii), DaveAce, Sam Procrastinates, Garrulous64, MotorRoach, Stealth, SEGADriven.com, Blue Vivacity, Velcomia, Razor and Zenon

· Non-English Media Panel – MechaShadowREV, Soniczny Kanał (FrenzyFox), Martoxiss, Kurasshu Mashu, Chiyoko (ChipJockey), VladislavSavvateev (sonic.fan), MangaTD, Sonic Team Blog (Nico), Studiopolis Polska (Neron and AniTrochęFioletowy)

· Anyone I may have missed (sorry!)

· All those who submitted to the Contest and Expo.

· And of course, YOU.

Don’t forget to send us your feedback of this year by submitting to https://forms.gle/qcxkwjp1SRB4rpzQ7

The Sonic Hacking Contest will return in 2023.

Until next time - Ready, Set, Procrastinate!!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2022
  17. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    I noticed this year's entries were particularly light on Mega Drive ROM hacks, presumably in favor of decompilation/3 AIR-based mods. Huh.

18. ezra

ezra

or "Fuzzy" Member
    Honestly this year's contest just made me sad. Felt like there wasn't any actual competition from the get-go, and most hacks felt same-ish other than about two. :(

I'm definitely not against SADX modding, but retro entries, particularly Mega Drive/Genesis, are what makes the competition feel special.

19. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    There was literally only one SADX mod in the contest this year, why bring that up as an example?

If you want to see MD hacks, go make some.

In the contest this year there were:
    • 11 Retro Hacks: 10 MD, 1 SMS
    • 11 3D Mods: 1 SADX, 1 SA2, 1 Riders, 1 06, 1 Unleashed, 4 Generations, 1 Lost World, 1 Forces
    • 18 2D PC Mods: 2 CD, 2 S2, 3 Mania, 11 AIR (and one of them is a compilation entry of 6 character mods)
    And the expo:
    • 20 Retro Hacks: 17 MD, 1 MCD, 1 PC, 1 GBA
    • 11 3D Mods: 3 SADX, 1 SA2B GCN, 1 06, 2 Unleashed, 1 Unleashed Wii, 4 Generations, 1 Forces
    • 7 2D PC Mods: 2 CD, 1 S1, 4 Mania

Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
  20. ezra

ezra

or "Fuzzy" Member
    I meant the expo too, and in hindsight it was a bad example. I do hope it got the point across.
    And, for more Mega Drive hacks, I'm working on quite a few... Just very slowly!