don't click here

"Sonic Blast!": 9-minute Sonic mash-up

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by n00neimp0rtant, Oct 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The only 'miss' in my opinion is the part where Carnival Night is playing, and that just downright won't go with anything. The rest of it is beyond brilliant.
    The great thing is, there is really no series that you could do this kind of thing for. It just wouldn't sound right.

2. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    It was interesting. I think there was too much at times, but it was definitely interesting.

3. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    I agree with the critics: the matching of the songs is unique, but the mixing/blending needs a lot of work. In fact, it might be a base for a whole new Sonic melody.

4. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Professional Electromancer Oldbie
    It's an interesting mix. At parts, everything comes together well and it sounds just great. I'm a big fan of house music, especially mashups, so I've heard my fair share of these types of songs, and parts of this are ace.

However, just like many in this topic have noted, there are parts in your composition which don't fair as well. Someone articulated my thoughts perfectly a few posts back - there are times when the two songs you're mixing don't match up well. Someone said that the lead melodies at times can sound like they're competing with one another, and I absolutely agree. It almost sounds like 2 people talking over each other at times. Additionally, there are some times when the bass seems like it's mixed sloppily, as though you were using a lot of gain to hide the fact that the bass for the two songs don't really fit.

That said, those problems aren't prevalent through the entire composition. I'd say your song has a solid foundation and appears to be a great WIP.

EDIT: Also, what were you using to make this? A real turn table/mixer, or...?

5. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    How come nobody mentioned Speed Highway At Dawn + Sonic 3D MD Credits? That part was great.

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    That was awesome! While I do agree that it was a bit noisy at parts, I had a ton of favorite mashups, my favorite of which being Mission Street and Sky Sanctuary together, which literally gave me goosebumps from how brilliantly they went together. Great stuff!

Have you considered making more installments in this kind of series? I'd love to hear more of these. :)

7. Beebles

Beebles

Now with OFFICIAL terrible Knuckles artwork. Member
    Check my blog for details.
    Very nice. I enjoyed it all the way through. A little disappointed at the apparent sound quality of the next gen games compared to genesis, but I suppose that is just the difference between sound types.

I noticed that most of the songs went pretty swiftly compared to their usual pace, but I take it that was to preserve cadence, right?

8. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
    My babies, take them. If you please.

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Very hit and miss, honestly - some of it worked quite nicely, other parts didn't work at all or just randomly cut off. Overall, not bad but not a keeper, imo. Keep at it =P

10. Squints

Squints

All souped-up. And DESECRATED! Member
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    RIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACERRRRRRRRRRRR
    S2 Chemical Plant/Heroes Bullet Station
    I came a little when that part started.
    Okay, that's a lie. I came buckets.

11. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    I think this is great, although I was hoping the Sonic 1/2 ending theme would play with the S&K ending theme and maybe the S3 ending at the end of the song.

12. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
  13. n00neimp0rtant

n00neimp0rtant

EYES ONLY Member
    South Park, PA
    Creation Kit (Skyrim mods and patches)
    Should be a link in the video description

Sony Acid Music Studio

14. I really liked it. Some parts were better than others, but they were all pretty good. I'd prefer a bit more usage of stereo, like some others have said, but I could usually tell where songs were.

Kind of an unequal comparison, since that's just a medley, whereas "Sonic Blast!" is a mash-up (multiple songs play at once, showing the similarities throughout). That being said, here's the Pokémon equivalent, complete with hilarious song titles.

15. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    This. My first reaction? "I sure hope the S2HD musicians are getting ideas from this" -- it's one of the sounds that meld perfectly, amongst the noise (like most, I'm indifferent to most of this).

Azure Lake/Spagonia surprised me though, as did the eargasm of Sky Sanctuary/Mission Street.

EDIT: Gee, I'm a spaz sometimes :P

16. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    S3 Boss and Adventure soudned like it came from Mega Man X4. Just thought I'd point that out.

But god damn this is pretty awesome.

17. The Moogs

The Moogs

Oldbie
    My thoughts after hearing the whole piece:

God damn, someone studied their music. Great work sir, this is going on my MP3 player tonight, and getting many a listen.

18. n00neimp0rtant

n00neimp0rtant

EYES ONLY Member
    South Park, PA
    Creation Kit (Skyrim mods and patches)
    What the hell is "Azure Island?" :3

Also, congrats on 1500 poasts.

19. He meant Lake.

20. n00neimp0rtant

n00neimp0rtant

EYES ONLY Member
    South Park, PA