don't click here

Sonic 1, 2, and CD Remake Decompilation

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by jubbalub, Jan 18, 2021.

1. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    [​IMG]

I'm posting this on behalf of Rubberduckycooly, who's account is not verified. Rubberduckycooly and a few other people have created a complete decompilation of the remakes of Sonic 1, 2, and CD. They are available here:

https://github.com/Rubberduckycooly/Sonic-CD-11-Decompilation

https://github.com/Rubberduckycooly/Sonic-1-2-2013-Decompilation

Sonic CD requires an RSDK from the PC version of the game to run correctly, and the other two require an RSDK from the mobile versions of the games.
    They run natively on PC, and people are working on ports to other platforms.

2. Well, now we can play Sonic 1 and 2 (without being on bluestacks) on PC as well:

Edit: Is it possible to a Mod move that post to the correct thread?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  3. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
  4. Damn, you're right. My bad! lol

5. Metalwario64

Metalwario64

Damn! This is big! I was hoping for something like this or new fan ports like S3 AIR, and now we get this! Between this, the CD decomp and S3 AIR, now's an amazing time to play the classics!

6. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    So Knuckles in Sonic CD when?

7. RDNexus

RDNexus

Now this is amazing. Can't wait to see both ported to PC. My brother will have a field day with them.

Still, to think there was a "special" Sonic 1 title screen when playing as Sonic & Tails...

8. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    This is great! I love the Sonic mobile versions. The widescrren is a godsend as we all know but I also think the fact the games run in 60 FPS drastically changes the way they play and makes them much more fun.

I've been playing Sonic 1 and when I replay it I really gain a lot of appreciation for it. A lot of elements in Sonic which seem pointless like the SCORE are actually important in the original because of how hard it is. Getting an extra life through SCORE milestones is actually really useful. And when a lot of people criticise exploration in classic Sonic for being unimportant and superficial besides for its own sake, I think it's cool that it's useful in Sonic 1 because you learn where extra lives are and shortcuts through more difficult parts of the map. I think @Palas said some years ago that despite common misconception about routes in classic Sonic, the lower path is actually harder and the upper path has more rewards, is easier, but is harder to stay on. It really shows in Sonic 1. The fact the game is relatively short and has to be beaten in one sitting gives it that classic arcade experience. I get a similar feeling out of it as I did when I played the classic Touhou games.

Just as an example, I found a shortcut at the beginning of Spring Yard Act 1 where you can use the beginning spring to jump over the top left and get an extra life and speed shoes. You can then use the speed shoes to jump back down to the spring and catapult yourself over the wall and skip a large part of the level. That's really cool and clever design. I'll be using that skip through each time I play Spring Yard now and it's a direct reward for exploration. It's not just a cool speedrunning trick, but is genuinely useful for actually beating the game.

9. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    Already played Sonic 2 yesterday using this, and apart from some graphical glitches it works like a charm!

Fantastic work. I'm excited for the modding possibilities this brings!

10. MagnusTheGreen

MagnusTheGreen

Stop Calling Me Moonlight Member
    Does this mean we could get full retro engine fan games?
    I'm dumb, but where do I get these? What is the file name? Or is it not even a file. I'm new to this kind of thing, so sorry if it is simple.

11. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Ditto - I bought these games ages ago through Google Play, so should in theory be able to redownload them onto my current phone; however I have no idea how I'd extract them from there. Any help would be appreciated, as I'd love to be able to play these PC ports in future when time allows!

12. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

They're in the game files:

assets\Data.rsdk.xmf

If you have a rooted phone you should be able to access them. Alternatively you could extract it from an apk archive (which is basically a zip archive).

Also, you need to rename Data.rsdk.xmf to Data.rsdk after putting it in the folder with RSDKv4_64.exe.

13. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    This is really awesome.. with 3 AIR available on Mac, I hope somebody can make Mac ports of the Taxman remasters.. that would be Classic Sonic heaven for me

Edit: Saw and commented that @Sappharad has successfully made a Mac build for Sonic 1 and 2!!! Here’s hoping we can get CD on there as well to have the complete classic series!!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  14. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Given his account entered this state back in May 2018, someone could have asked for a second look. =P I have rectified this, he should be able to post himself now. I've also merged in the relevant posts from the main Sonic CD Remake thread.

Great work on the decompilation!

15. Tets

Tets

one rude dude Oldbie
    Strictly speaking you don't even need root. My Sony phone is still on the stock ROM, I just used FX File Explorer to dump the RSDK files. Now I'm living the dream.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    Should remind people that there's two versions of each game. One is the paid version and the other was the Sega Forever. Running one of them has their own bugs/quirks but fear not as Rubberduckycooly and his pals are working on fixing those bugs.

17. Axanery

Axanery

The decompilations are absolutely insane. RDC and RMG have never failed to surprise me. I have had so much fun with these decompilations so far.

I also saw some confusion in this thread to how it works. Like Jubbalub mentioned, you need a Data.rsdk data file to get the games to run. I made a tutorial for it:

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. RDNexus

RDNexus

Have Taxman or Stealth caught wind of this?
    I'd like to know their reactions...

Also, I find the timing of this miracle funny.
    There's a A.I.R.-like Sonic 2 hack to be released this week. Or was to be...
    I'm not sure if they'll still release it, given this happening.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  19. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie
    Ohh this is too cool. Its funny, I own the android version but barley play it. I never felt compelled to explore Hidden Palace zone much just because I don't want to play touch controls. I just spent the last 20 minutes going though all the routes with a Retro Bit Genesis controller.

Its like a dream come true!