don't click here

SEGA References in pop culture.

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Lobotomy, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Just found a new one, I think. Season 2 of Norm. One episode has Norm's boss finding out that he bought a handheld game with money from the office-- the handheld game is shown and it is a VMU.

2. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    *CTRL + F: Scott Pilgrim on all pages.*
    Nobody mentioned Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World yet?

3. Mr.Skippy

Mr.Skippy

FUUUUUUUUUUU!!!! Member
    Livingston, CA
    Sonic Alpha Redux
    Roxanne Richter and the Sonic reference?
    Oh wait, that's the game...silly me.

4. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    I can't remember what the book is called, but when I was a kid I read a novel about some boy in middle school who had a Game Gear with shark stickers on it. I can't remember much else.

5. Maxd

Maxd

Alabama
    Mixin'
    I remember that there numerous Sega references in the "Animorphs" book series.

6. Lyrica

Lyrica

(Formerly: Donnyku) Oldbie
    Pennsylvania
    Wedding Planning
    Surf Ninja's, the youngest brother has a "Magic" Game Gear that lets him play stuff that's happening in the movie.

7. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Does this count?

[​IMG]

Shinryaku! Ika Musume, episode 4. It's clearly Columns.

8. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    Come to think of it, there's at least 5 Sonic references in the graphic novels; then of course, there's the total-score chime from the movie (sadly, I've only seen the trailer :( ). I get the feeling Brian Lee O'Malley really likes playing Sonic. =P

(in spoiler tags if you want to find the references yourself)
    + - -Scott's playing Sandopolis Zone in a flashback. -Scott, Kim, and Lisa formed a band called "Sonic & Knuckles." -The title page for Scott Pilgrim Gets It Together is a reference to the Sonic the Hedgehog title screen. -When Roxanne Richter is defeated, bunnies, rabbits, and pigs bounce merrily out of the smoke. -Scott calls Wallace at his workplace for cheats to Sonic 3.  

9. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member

3:19 has a band poster with "Sonic & Knuckles" on it.

10. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    In The Smiths track "Big Mouth Strikes Again" Morrissey sings "the flames rose to her roman nose and her Walkman started to melt" However in the Placebo cover, Brian Molko sings "her Megadrive started to melt"

11. Yuzu

Yuzu

Every band in the past is a Sega Megadrive game, including one band named Kid Chameleon.

Which is pretty awesome.

12. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Ah that explains it! I had a copy of the Surf Ninjas game for GG, and I've never seen the movie. In the game you actually collect Game Gear carts as powerups.

13. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    Christ, I remember this movie. I only watched it once when I was a kid, and then never again. I didn't even know the name of it; I couldonly grasp the ""Magic" Game Gear that lets him play stuff that's happening in the movie" reference.

14. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Scott Pilgrim is literally riddled with thousands of videogame references.

It's quite a bit overblown and can be hilariously bad at points.

15. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    In His and Her Circumstances (aka Kare Kano), there is a sequence where Tsubasa is walking down the street and a series of poor quality monochrome photos of the streets of Japan (Tokyo?) are used. It could be co-incidence or it could be product placement, but you can just make out banners advertising the dreamcast and sonic adventure,

[​IMG]

16. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    In the film Carry On Spying there is a Sega one-armed bandit machine! Cannot pinpoint where. I'll have to watch it again.

from Megas XLR
    [​IMG]

SEGA Dreamcast in Forbidden Kingdom, quite strange considering it came out in 2008!

17. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    It's especially weird considering as I recall, the majority of Evangelion's budget was from a Sega sponsorship. You'd expect they'd want the free advertising.

I came in to post about the Saturn and then I had to edit my post to say he also had a Dreamcast. :P I think the Saturn stayed on top of his TV until late 2000, I want to say. I think Sega finally got wise and probably asked them to replace it.

18. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    How could I forget that: M.I.A. wearing a Sonic shirt in her album cover.
    [​IMG]
    Thank you, Dance Central, for reminding me this. :P

19. Jace

Jace

Two 90s rap references

1:30ish "Yo, who really started this rap shit, I'm addicted, and I can't stop sayin' shit like SEGA, I'm street fightin' niggas like Vega."

"Clips, whatever happened, to 38. specials, now it's desert eagles, government issued, probably the same one that killed Noriega, chips that power nuclear bombs power my SEGA."

There was another but I forget the name of it.

20. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    Found this one a few weeks ago: in the Video Games sub-article, part of the Leisure article in Jon Stewart's "Earth: The Book", video games are described as "interactive, graphically rich worlds where we could act out our dreams of being professional athletes, Italian plumbers, mutant hedgehogs, and psychopaths who beat hookers to death".