don't click here

Repairing A Laptop

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by LordOfSquad, Jun 13, 2010.

1. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Yesterday afternoon I acquired an Acer Aspire 7520 laptop from my friend. It's been broken for a few months now.

At first I was just going to pillage the parts from it, but I've decided to attempt to fix it since it's better than my current laptop. This is the problem it's having.

I'm guessing from that thread that the problem is with the CMOS battery. I have the keyboard removed and I'm guessing the CMOS is the thing in the below picture with the blue ring around it, underneath the ribbon cord. I tried applying pressure to it as outlined in that forum and no luck with getting it to boot.

What to do? This is my first time dealing with this sort of thing, so any help is appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. shana

shana

balls Member
    Financial Hell
    Recording Sonic Music on live guitar/bass.
    I thought people change batteries on devices, not just push them?

3. First off, that link is dead. Secondly, I judge by the link that it keeps going off?

I would suggest a heating problem like damaged coolingpad/paste, or fan vents clogged up by dust.

Can you give detailed information?

4. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    You could probably save a lot of hassle and not spend much if you look for a barebones unit of the same laptop and just cannibalize the one you have

5. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Whoops, I broke it by accident. It works now.

6. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    If pressing on it makes it boot, that sounds more like the BGA soldering holding the CPU, GPU, and possibly the chipset has failed, a common problem in modern electronics (Think almost every RROD that people blame on overheating, which is NOT true). If that's the case, you'll be needing a heat gun or a reflow oven (or a regular oven, hur)

I doubt it's CMOS related. I've never seen a computer refuse to turn on because the CMOS battery was not delivering voltage/was not connected, that just doesn't make sense.

EDIT: Someone said that the screen got fuzzy after they let go. It's DEFINITELY a GPU issue, probably BGA soldering related.

It's a popular problem with a lot of laptops produced a few years ago, and before that the iBook.

Here's how a guy fixed his:

http://www.ifitjams.com/2008/08/reflowing-...processors.html