don't click here

Red Sonic?

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by theColombiano11, Mar 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theColombiano11

theColombiano11

Pending Member
    A while back, during the summer, I was messing around with debug in Launch Base Zone act 2 with sonic, and when I was fighting the second boss with the lasers, I beat him. Anywhoo, my sonic suddenly turned red. Is there any way to access this red sonic via patch code? thanks.

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    A red Sonic probably would be due to a mappings change... Most likely one that switched the palette line Sonic used at the time. Either that, or one that changed pallete line 0 completely. Of which it is I cannot be sure until I get some pics or something.

3. theColombiano11

theColombiano11

Pending Member
    [​IMG]

here's a picture I took right when sonic became red sonic. After the transformation, the screen became glitchy and all multicolored, and reset itself after five minutes or so.

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Okay, so it's a palette change. But it also looks like a crash in general... Maybe you were accessing a Knuckles only section (which MIGHT explain why it uses his palette... I can tell by the light pink shades).

Is this Sonic 3 or Sonic 3 & Knuckles? If it's the latter, all you need to do to access the red Sonic is to replace Sonic's palettes with Knuckles'. :P

5. theColombiano11

theColombiano11

Pending Member
    its Sonic 3 and Knuckles. And yes, I was accessing a knuckles-only section.

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Yeah, then that's the exact reason you get a red Sonic. The palette fill must be part of the DSR event that comes after the boss.

As for a patch code... I'm not too sure. I don't know the offsets of Knuckles' palette. If I did though, it'd be pretty simple.

7. Demi

Demi

Oldbie
    Red Hot Sonic

8. Robjoe

Robjoe

I believe it is located at A8AFE.

9. Tom41

Tom41

Pheer the baby EggRobo! Oldbie
    UK
    How about simply taking the pink palette of Knuckles, and putting it into Sonic's default palette value? I've done things like this before using a paint package, and have got Sonic to turn pink/red by applying the Knuckles palette. I've also got Knuckles to turn blue, but there's a glitch in the game that allows you to play as a blue Knuckles anyway ;)

Should be fairly simple - find the area that has Knuckles' 1-player palette, copy the values, and paste that into Sonic's 1-player palette. The only disadvantage may be that other objects and background layers that use Sonic's blue colors would turn red as well, but I've only known that to be a problem in Sonic 1...

10. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Well what I wanted to do with a patch code is simple patch the pointers to Sonic's palette with those of Knuckles... This way, it can be easily done in a simple patch code, rather than a ROM hack (which is what he asked for).

I suppose a palette edit COULD work using a patch code... It'd just be a bit inconvinient due to all the patches you would have to apply. It certainly couldn't be done in one or two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.