don't click here

Overclocking your Mega Drive

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Flygon, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Flygon

Flygon

Actually, Night Storm has a very good frame rate rather than 5-10 FPS, though the fact it came after F22 probably helped =P

I estimate it runs from 15-30 FPS, not 5-10 FPS.

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Actually, has anyone bashed together an emulator that has an overclocking function?

3. Wiz

Wiz

Tech Member
    Disassembling Shining Force II
    If you have a modded XBox, there is also Neogenesis (ported from Gens) that allows to overclock the main CPU.

I don't know if overclocking only 68K can cause unexpected bugs, but I've tested it on F22 Interceptor and Road Rash and it seems flawless.

It's such an enjoyment to play Road Rash III with a framerate high enough to let you have better reflexes ! The gameplay really is enhanced :)

4. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    I have V.R. And I never experience slowdown. (Maybe because I play it on the SEGA Nomad.)

Well, you have me interested now, how do I do it in a Model 1 and do I need a coolant system?

5. Flygon

Flygon

Oreg you have made my night the best ever.

I declare that emulator my favorite emulator until Regen implements over clocking =P

I mean, now I can run F-177 Night Storm at 60 FPS and some ROM hack I made that also ran at 10 FPS because I had too many objects on at once, plus playing games at 100 kilohertz per second is fun.

6. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    There's no "slowdown" as such because the entire thing runs at less than 60fps. =P Also, you don;t need a coolant system. The entire thing is running even overclocked at less than 20MHz - that's enough to do it passively, never mind a heatsink.

7. Epicenter

Epicenter

Resident Ecco Fanatic Tech Member
    USA
    Ecco Prototype Documentation
    In situations where there is slowdown, frames aren't skipped, since NTSC demands constant 60hz operation, and PAL demands 50hz. So, 60/50 FPS respectively. Instead, frames are repeated. The VDP draws the old frame again, while the 68000 continues to work on the next. When the new frame is done, it's displayed. The number of UNIQUE frames drawn per second is an estimate of performance.

You can find the full Model 1 overclocking guide here:
    http://epicgaming.us/?p=4

As for cooling; I only observed the CPU becoming warm to the touch in excess of 25 MHz. Even so, it wasn't hot enough to need a heatsink. You might achieve better stability with supercooling (e.g. TECs) but this would be difficult to rig up and probably necessitate you leave the top off the system to actually fit such a contraption. I intend to screw with that one day, when I get some old fashioned 68000s with the exposed gold core. Hard to externally cool a plastic IC. :)

And re: emulators; the only one I know to allow 68000 clock adjustment on a PC is Megasis, which is in other ways a very poor inaccurate emulator, and quite old. Maybe you can manually edit Gens' config file to do it-- I know you can alter the approximated clockrates of the SH-2s in 32x emulation.

8. neomerge

neomerge

I remember one time on they show The Screen Savers they were showing people how to do this.

9. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    There IS no girlfriend

*runs*