don't click here

What people involved with the Sonic series would you want to meet?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Let's say you had the chance to meet any five people involved with Sonic the Hedgehog, be it games, the shows, comics, Sonic Live, whatever. Who would you choose to meet, and why?

For the sake of argument and the fact that nearly everyone will list them, let's assume whomever five you pick will get Naka/Ohshima/Yasuhara/Iizuka thrown in for free and will not need to be listed.

2. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

Masato Nakamura, without a doubt. Sure he'd have some interesting tales to tell, and would love the chance just to tell him how awesome I think his music is.

3. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    I barely know about any of the people who work on Sonic games, but I'd like to meet some of the composers, well rather watch them work, I wouldn't have much to say other than "UR SONGS R SO COOL"
    Also of course I'd like to meet Iizuka like you mentioned in the thread post, just like probably everyone else here, to give him a piece of my mind :argh:

4. Jaseman

Jaseman

The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer! Member
    Maybe Howard Drossin. I'm a friend of his on the book of faces, he's a great music composer (doomsday zone amirite) and did the voices and music for Comix Zone.

Oh, plus since he speaks English, the language barrier is right out.

5. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Jun Senoue, beacuse he has been there for a long, long time and is, for me, an essential part of what sonic is today. I would ask him about older games, more than about upcoming games. About how games changed since the first impressions he had for them, to their final versions. And about how his music has inspired personality traits in the characthers, especially in the SA era. Also, why he uses dead cats to play music today :v:

Thomas Yuda, beacuse he was there in the developing of sonic 3, and that game's developing story is full of mistery, at least, I find it pretty interesting. He also designed Knuckles, one of my favorite characthers, and would love to hear how the idea for him came to his mind and about others designs thay might have been there to take his place.

Anyone who worked in early process of Sonic 1, I would love to know more about the creation of sonic and about how his characther had been developed. Also, about the changes in the game, from the first ideas to what it is today.

People who worked in Sonic Adventure and Sonic adventure 2, to tell us how the game changed. I'm pretty intriged at how the SA2 looked much darker than what it is, and about "Terios". Anything about Sonic Adventure developing, specially early stages, would be pretty apreciated too.

Knowing more prototype names and artworks of characthers never released or different to what they final counterpert is...that would be lovely.

6. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I'd love to meet the composers. As much as I love the games, my mp3 player is literally 89% Sonic music, I use it everyday, and I'd love to meet the people who constantly deliver such great material. So for me, in this order:

1. Fumie Kumatani
    2. Tomoya Ohtani
    3. Kenichi Tokoi
    4. Naofumi Hataya
    5. Jun Senoue

Just the chance to be able to tell any of them how much I love their music would be enough for me. Going with what Mr. Mash said, being able to see their process and technique for approaching the music would be even better.

7. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Richard Jacques, easily an inspiration for me since he's the first real video game composer I took interest in. Plus, no language barrier!

8. Whew, we got the essential people I'd love to meet thrown in for free aside from the five we get to pick!

Since this is a hypothetical, I'll say Ben Hurst before he unfortunately passed on. I know he didn't really know anything about the games, but I think he understood Sonic perfectly despite that. The world he and the other staff imagined for SatAM suits Sonic better than anything Sonic Team has come up with in the last ten years (IMO, of course)

Maybe some of the older crew from the Sonic comic from back in the day. Jaleel White. And since this is a hypothetical, whichever genius came up with Tails Doll. I don't know if it was Traveller's Tales. I don't know if it was Sonic Team. But God, I want to meet the people involved with Tails Doll. That is the best secondary character. Ever.

9. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    Eh, I don't know enough people at sonic team to call that, how about the 5 people most responcible for sonic game devolopment, I don't wanna talk to them, just stand behind then and smack the back of their heads every time they come up with a stupid idea. You know, not meanly, just to keep them on track lol

10. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Uekawa. I'm really interested on how he works.

Ian Flynn. I like his writing.

Nigel Kitching. I like his writing, AND his art.

Nigel Dobbyn. I like his art.

Ken Penders. I want to punch him :P

EDIT: If not, Jon Gray. I would NOT want to punch him.

11. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Yuji Uekawa. So many things I'd want to ask him, primarily concerning Metal Knuckles.

Ian Flynn. The man is a genius and a bro. I don't even know what I'd ask him, but it'd be fun regardless.

Kumatani and Ohtani, especially the latter. They're probably my favorite composers in the series.

Hopefully, I'll have a translator with me. Language barrier, derp.

12. Yuzoboy

Yuzoboy

UK
    I would like to meet the sound designers behind Sonic 3 to find out once and for all what Michael Jackson contributed to Sonic 3 and what was left out.

13. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Naofumi Hataya. Favourite game music composer ever.

Also, technically Yuzo Koshiro worked on S1 8-bit, so him too.

Other than that, it'd just be Oshima/Yasuhara. I really have no real desire to meet any of the others.

14. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Fumie Kumatani
    Jun Senoue
    Tomoya Ohtani
    Kenichi Tokoi
    Takashi Iizuka - but not for any reason you people might assume. I want to kick him down a flight of stairs.

15. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
  16. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Spencer Nilsen - I love the acid trip that is the US Sonic CD Soundtrack.
    Fumie Kumatani - Love her musical work.
    Yoshihisa Hashimoto - No particular reason. :P
    Roger Craig Smith - Could happen if I go to SacAnime.
    Ken Balough :v:

17. Caelestis

Caelestis

1. Naofumi Hataya - for all the obvious reasons.

2. Takenobu Mitsuyoshi - if only to have him explain what the lyrics from his vocal performances in the Sonic the Hedgehog - Remix album were. But honestly, he seems like a cool guy who's not given enough opportunities to showcase his talent, and I'd love to know whence he draws his musical inspiration (I'd probably also beg him to sing "Honou no Angel" for me).

3. Roger Hector - as the former head of the defunct STI, he'd be a perfect person to talk about regarding the inner workings of Sega management and how projects were handled within the company during the halcyon days. It'd be interesting to find out in what manner the top executives treated the little American branch.

4. Christian Senn - I admire his dedication and his loyalty, and I'm fascinated by what his vision would be if he were brought in to program for the Blue Blur again.

5. Kazuyuki Hoshino - someone was struck with the same character design genius particle that also touched Naoto Ohshima? He must have a vivid imagination that would be delightful to hear in words to match the art he creates.

18. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Well, this is interesting.

Out of the freebies (Naka, Iizuka, etc) I'd pick Yasuhara first. More and more it seems like he was the true heart of classic Sonic. Things have been just terrible since he left. Now, it might be a coincidence; maybe he left right as Sonic started slipping downhill, anyway. But his absence is sorely felt in Sonic CD, so it's likely he's integral to the Sonic magic.

I'd want to talk about level design and pacing, and see if all of our theories about what makes them good were things he kept in mind or if he just winged it. (wung it?)

As for anybody else...

• Masato Nakamura (composer for Sonic 1 and 2)
      It's Masa, what can I say? We'd groove to EWF and watch old Ultraman episodes - it'd be awesome. And maybe I could bum some Sonic demos off him while I was at it!
    • Rieko Kodama (level artist for Sonic 1 and 2)
      Not only is her art awesome, but she's also responsible for Phantasy Star and Skies of Arcadia, so it'd be triple trouble! Her take on things like storytelling is pretty rare in the industry - her RPGs are fast paced and don't have the trappings of the ocean of boring other JRPGs. She's been a big influence.
    • Tokuhiko Uwabo (sound/music programming here and there, composer for Phantasy Star I and II)
      He doesn't do much Sonic-related, but I'd want to meet Bo just to dispel the mystery that surrounds the man. And, of course, to tell him how much his compositions have meant to me.
    • Jaleel White (duh!)
      He's not a Sega employee, but I can branch out, right? I mean, what would be cooler than hanging around Sonic himself? =P
    • Yasushi "Judy Totoya" Yamaguchi (creator of Miles)
      He came up with my favourite Sonic character. Plus, I could ask him, 'WTF is up with Judy?'

Well, that makes five.

19. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    How convenient! =D

I, myself, would love to meet:

Takumi Miyake - He's a damn artist, and I love how he was carried away by the artistic movements of cubism and surrealism when designing Knuckles' Chaotix, and how the scenarios, bosses and enemies are inspiration from famous works of known cubism and/or surrealism artists. I would like to ask him how he came with such ideas, and of course, try to absorb as much information as possible. He was the lead art designer for Knuckles' Chaotix and Ristar, also worked as visual and landscape artist for Sonic CD. He was also responsible for the enhancement of Sonic 3D Blast's art for the Saturn and PC versions. He did the animations design for [Super] Street Fighter IV as well.

Jina Ishiwatari - Same reasons as above, since she was an artist for the scenarios in Sonic 2 AND Knuckles' Chaotix.

Rieko Kodama - Pretty much the same as above... :rolleyes: Plus she also was an artist for Sonic 1.

Masamichi Harada - Because he was the art director of the Original Xbox game BLINX and BLINX 2, and was also one of the level artist of Knuckles' Chaotix.

Naofumi Hataya - One of my favorite video-game-music composer.

20. TailsAddict

TailsAddict

BANNED Oldbie
    The(presumed) Black dude who rapped sonic CD JP outro. I've never known who the heck it was

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.