don't click here

Was the released version of Sonic 3 really just a prototype?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Agobue, Feb 7, 2020.

1. camcommunicates

camcommunicates

Is that Tails glitch in every release of Sonic 3? As in PAL and NTSC? I played Sonic 3 stand alone a lot as a kid and don’t remember that glitch at all.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Yes, all final Sonic 3 ROMs are 99.9% identical (only the country code changes).

I remember it happening very soon after I got the game.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Despatche

Despatche

Sonic 3 clearly isn't a "prototype" or a "beta" or whatever other word you want to use. Calling it "rushed" isn't quite right either. The decision to split it into two games was not made lightly.

A good bit of bugfixing also happens after the game was released; this was even so back then. It's very possible that if the game was never split in two and was instead somehow released "properly" when it was supposed to, we could have seen all of the glitches we know from S3A.

4. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    S3 is the definition of rushed imo, it's clearly cut short and I felt that back when I was 8 years old.

Sure they planned to cut the game up but then only had like half a year to tidy up what they had.

5. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    IIRC a big reason the game had to be so heavily rushed was because early development time was wasted on 3D concepts that never went anywhere (which is where the title screen model is from).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List