don't click here

Tokyo 2020 Olympics: The Official Video Game (PS4/SW/XB1/XBS/Steam/Stadia)

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Yuzu, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Yuzu

Yuzu

[video]

Looks like a really fun arcade sports game. Definitely worth keeping an eye on.

On Twitter, Sam Mullen at SoA says that it's being created by the same team as Mario & Sonic, most likely Sega CS2.

Translation via Gematsu:

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  2. Yuzu

Yuzu

Just received an email. Looks like its being localized and released soon in the west on June 22nd for PC/PS4/XB1/Xbox Series/Switch/Stadia rather than just Switch & PS4. Extremely surprising after all of this silence to say the least.

The official site is now live:
    OLYMPIC GAMES TOKYO 2020 - THE OFFICIAL WEBSITE (olympicvideogames.com)

For context, this game released two years ago in Japan.

3. Deathscythe

Deathscythe

I'll probably get it. Loved Sega's sports games back in the day. No Sonic?

4. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Oh, Sonic's there alright.

[​IMG]

5. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Very nice and detailed costume.

6. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    This and the hospital collab made me laugh really hard; both of them looked absurd and that was really funny (that's a good thing in my book).

7. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    I Love this...
    [​IMG]
    Oh... The sports are cool too, I guess.

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I am vaguely interested in how this game coped given the pandemic. Sega released this a full year before the Olympics were meant to start, and then obviously a further year was put on top of that. So it's a 2019 interpretation of a 2021 event.

Obviously the main difference is it has crowds, but there was an extra year to plan, so presumably other things are out of date too. There's also a big gap between the Asian and Western releases which could make for some interesting comparisons one day.

There was never an official Rio 2016 video game so they didn't have to patch in a green diving pool for authenticity. Should something similar happen this year, will they be on-hand to update the video game??

9. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Honestly it doesn't seem like it's any different from when it released in Japan, aside from the fact all the events are in from the start. (They patched some in after release for Japan, and seemingly just wanted to release early for them) I wouldn't expect them to patch any changes in, either.

As for how well it's doing... Unsure. Currently it's got a "free weekend" on Steam and Xbox, so you can play it on either of those right now (ends in ~30 hours) and maybe that'll see a sales boost, or it might just end up meaning that nobody buys it..

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021