don't click here

SonLVL

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by MainMemory, Feb 7, 2011.

1. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Yes. Put blockcmp=Uncompressed and chunkcmp=Uncompressed in the top part of the INI file.

2. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Quoted from Basic. So, what's the best way to utilize this in a S1 disasm? I got ringfmt set to S2 already. I saw the header [Ring] and tried applying that directly, but got errors.

Side note: I'm sure there is a tutorial for properly importing art into SonLvl, MainMemory can you please direct me to the best one (in your opinion) I tried to search threads for any but while I found a few posts that were slightly helpful, I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. Cheers in advance!

3. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Well, you have to tell it the correct art file and mappings for the S1 ring, otherwise it'll be looking for the S2 ring art, which doesn't exist in S1.

I don't know any tutorials for art importing in SonLVL. It's preferred if you make the new art as either a 16-color image using one palette line from the level (highlight the proper line in the palette editor before importing), or a 256-color image where the first 64 colors are the full level palette. Importing full color images can be done, but it's a bit prone to errors, as it has to manually match each pixel to the closest color in the palette, and if multiple lines have the same color it may choose the wrong line for a tile. You may import only tiles, blocks+tiles, chunks+blocks+tiles, or layout+chunks+blocks+tiles, depending on which tab you do the import from. You can also have supplementary images for collision and priority data, export a level with that setting to see how that works.

4. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Hey there, I'm kind of a newcomer to the software. I've been trying to switch the VRAM location of the blue mountain background in Hill Top Zone, but SonLVL doesn't seem to allow you to edit the block data for it, at least not besides a set amount of blocks.

I need the blocks to display the VRAM data for $E800 onwards, but I don't think it goes that far.

EDIT: Never mind. Worked round it.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  5. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Yeah those specific blocks are stored separately as part of Sonic 2's "Animated Pattern Maps" system, so you can't edit them in SonLVL. The data is in the ASM as a series of macros.

6. Does SonLVL have something like a dark mode? The light mode really isn't my forte, esp. when dealing with snow levels which have a lot of white in them.

7. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    It should follow your system theme.

8. And yet it... isn't?
    Screenshot (109).png
    I'm in Windows 10 Dark Mode but the colours are still very... bright and white.

9. Kafurai

Kafurai

Level Designer Member
    Hi all!

I'm currently working on a huge level design project with SonLVL. Btw I like the software a lot, congrats to everyone who helped making it so great.

I'm making a "redesign" version of S3&K: basically the more people hate a zone, the more work I put into it. So basically HCZ is pretty much the same, but MGZ is 95% remade. I post an exemple of my new take on MGZ1. I ONLY use stuff from the original level I'm working on (enemies, chunks...), its a pure level design project.
    So far I've worked on AIZ HCZ and MGZ (MGZ took me 9 month ^^' )

The reason I came here for help is because I got some "weird lag" : the game keeps its speed (one minut in game is one minut IRL), gens still says its running at a stable 60FPS, but I can really see that the game is displaying less and less frames, the animation and screen scroll are not very smooth...
    At first I realized that I overloaded the levels with items and rings, so I deleted a lot of stuff... to the point that I got the same ammount as in the original levels. But The game still got that weird lags... For some reason, the game works perfectly in levels I did not worked on yet...

Anyone got a clue? Some solution? I wondered if maybe I can force the game in loading less items? But I don't know how to do this or if it would work...

I can upload one of my builds if someone wants to see it by himself. (very noticable in HCZ2 and by the end of MGZ1)

Thanks for reading!

Attached Files:

10. Ben™

Ben™

Level 29 Pun Knight Member
    Today I downloaded SonLVL and the INIs and such. Whenever I try to run it, it shows an error message that closes itself before I have a chance to read it and then the SonLVL file is deleted. It does not get moved to Recycle Bin, and it's not being flagged by Malwarebytes as I added it to the allow list. I've tried reinstalling, but it hasn't worked. There aren't any conflicting files in the directory I installed it to. I tried installing a different program from the updater, S3SSedit, and it worked with no issues. Is this a known issue, and if so, what should I do to fix it?

11. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Something must be deleting SonLVL, it certainly isn't deleting itself.

12. Ben™

Ben™

I tried downloading SonLVL on my old PC that I never bothered to install antivirus on and the program loaded, so I guess it was a problem with antivirus silently deleting the file. It still didn't end up working though. I downloaded all of the INIs for Sonic 1, 2, and 3&K from both the updater and Git, and followed the setup guide exactly, but whenever I tried to load a level it threw up an error message saying it couldn't find the palette files.

13. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    You put the folder with the INI files into your disassembly folder, and split the disassembly?

14. Ben™

Ben™

I tried reinstalling everything, splitting it again, noticing that I didn't have Python installed and there were Python files in the build directory, splitting it again again, and the palette files still aren't there apparently.

15. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Can you show me the error log (click the Report button)?

16. Ben™

Ben™

FileNotFoundException: Palette file could not be loaded! Have you set up your disassembly properly?

Program: SonLVL
    Build Date: 05/14/2020 14:16:33
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
    Log:
    Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
    Opening INI file "C:\Users\Ben\Desktop\SonLVL\skdisasm-master\Build Scripts\Sonic 3K Git INIs\SonLVL.ini"...
    Game type is S3K.
    Loading Angel Island Zone Act 2...
    8x8 tile file "../Levels/AIZ/Tiles/Act 2 Primary.bin" not found.
    8x8 tile file "../Levels/AIZ/Tiles/Act 2 Secondary.bin" not found.
    Loading palette file "../General/Sprites/Sonic/Palettes/SonicAndTails.bin"...
    Source: 0 Destination: 0 Length: 16
    Layout file "../Levels/AIZ/Layout/2.bin" not found.
    128x128 chunk file "../Levels/AIZ/Chunks/Act 2.bin" not found.
    16x16 block file "../Levels/AIZ/Blocks/Act 2 Primary.bin" not found.
    16x16 block file "../Levels/AIZ/Blocks/Act 2 Secondary.bin" not found.
    System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Palette file could not be loaded! Have you set up your disassembly properly?
    at SonicRetro.SonLVL.API.LevelData.LoadLevelPalette() in E:\Programs\SonLVL\SonLVLAPI\LevelData.cs:line 689
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvoke()
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.WaitAll(Task[] tasks, Int32 millisecondsTimeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.WaitAll(Task[] tasks, Int32 millisecondsTimeout)
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.Invoke(ParallelOptions parallelOptions, Action[] actions)
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Parallel.Invoke(Action[] actions)
    at SonicRetro.SonLVL.API.LevelData.LoadLevel(String levelname, Boolean loadGraphics) in E:\Programs\SonLVL\SonLVLAPI\LevelData.cs:line 179
    at SonicRetro.SonLVL.GUI.MainForm.backgroundLevelLoader_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e) in E:\Programs\SonLVL\SonLVL\MainForm.cs:line 574
    ---> (Inner Exception #0) System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Palette file could not be loaded! Have you set up your disassembly properly?
    File name: '../General/Sprites/Sonic/Palettes/SonicAndTails.bin'
    at SonicRetro.SonLVL.API.LevelData.LoadLevelPalette() in E:\Programs\SonLVL\SonLVLAPI\LevelData.cs:line 689
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvoke()
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()<---

17. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    SonLVL's INI files do not go in the "Build Scripts" folder, in fact the disassembly comes already split and with SonLVL files included:
    [​IMG]

18. Welp, I'm ready to try to fix this old hack I have. I can send whatever files I need to, but really I'm just looking for general help in getting back into the swing of things. s1hack.PNG
    The last time I was working on this, I overwrote some Marble Zone art over the Green Hill art (iirc) and I need to know if it's possible to change it back. Any help is greatly appreciated, and as I said, I can send files for anyone who wants to take a look instead of just messaging me.

Edit: The updater is broken I think. I'm trying to redownload SonLVL but it says it can't find something... I can't get the warning to appear again, but it won't let me download SonLVL anymore and I don't have it anywhere... :/

Edit 2: Wtf... Now that I'm home it's downloading fine, and trying to get the error again doesn't work. Welp, at least I have SonLVL again.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  19. In some ways there, Raccoon, what I’d do is take the level layout and recreate it with a fresh copy of GHZ’s tiles, blocks and chunks, without worrying about the MZ stuff. Yes, it’s kinda lazy, but for restoring what you have done of the hack, it should be fine.

EDIT: Or you could just replace the chunks, blocks and tiles without SonLVL running if the chunk order itself hasn’t been rearranged.

20. Can't get very far without SonLVL, huh? I'll see if I can replicate the error after work tonight and send a screenshot, so MainMemory can take a look.