don't click here

Sonic Runners announced (Sonic Team/Mobile)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by 360, Dec 28, 2014.

1. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Crashes on startup on mine (S4).

2. Neowl

Neowl

feels good man Member
    London, England
    SAIL HATAN
    Can't say for sure from a fresh install of 1.1.0t, but from upgrading my version 1.0.4t on my 2013 Nexus 7 I can say the worldwide version plays fine here, with the device only heating slightly (which I'd argue is normal), so while there are issues there, I think NeoGAF are seriously exaggerating the matter.

I'll report back later when I use my Moto G 4G as a fresh install Guinea Pig.

3. RenyNoise

RenyNoise

Literally Swimming in Privilege Banned
    Apparently, my phone isn't compatible. I use a Galaxy Note S3.

4. SuperSonicRider

SuperSonicRider

Ah yes, my favorite Sonic character, Charmy the Knuckles

[​IMG]

(Amy and the Chaotix are on the install screen now)

Anyway, the game's working fine on my Galaxy S4. It's odd, because I've seen some people on Twitter say that it wasn't working for the S5?

5. Neowl

Neowl

feels good man Member
    London, England
    SAIL HATAN
    After doing a fresh install and playing for half an hour on my Moto G 4G, I can say that I haven't experienced any overheating issues, just a little slowdown (which I expected due to the entry-mid level nature of the device).

6. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    The game had run hot after long play sessions (45+ minutes), unoptimized, while charging on my Droid Turbo. This game manages to decimate my phone's 3900mAh battery regularly.[​IMG]

7. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    "Boiling Point", indeed.

8. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Clearly this is just one big marketing stunt for Sonic Boom: Fire and Ice. :v:

Anyway, I'm not surprised that people are suffering these issues with Runners. One only needs to look Sonic 4: Episodes I & II concerning Sega's track record of quality mobile releases. Remember that Sonic 4 Epi. II iOS, before it was ultimately pulled from the store, was supposed to get a patch to fix an update that inserted a ad for Streets of Rage but also caused the game to crash on startup? Or the singular update released for Sonic 4 Epi. I iOS, two years after its release, that inserted an ad for S4E2 but also wiped any pre-existing save data?

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Assuming the game works for you, which it might not, the game has officially released and has been upgraded to version 1.1. Surprisingly it actually has cut down on the bullshit. Not all of it mind you, but some.

- Characters now can level up by collecting rings in the level in addition to using rings to level the characters up on the level select screen, so your characters can basically level up a lot more now
    - The UI was redone so navigating things is no longer a nightmare
    - You now have 3 chances in a level rather than 2, and you have the option of watching an advertisement instead of spending 5 red rings for one midlevel revive (the second midlevel revive still requires 5 red rings)
    - Upon dying and coming back to life you are now given 1000 rings, a shield, and a combo item in addition to the wisp powerup, so you'll no longer start up again and die in 2 seconds
    - There seem to be new randomized set pieces in the levels so there is a bit more variety
    - Stored items are now activated by touching them and are not activated at the start of their respective sections (so you could use items 1, 2, and 3 in section 1 or save them until section 4 or above, your choice)
    - The score now updates as you go, so your distance score, animal score, and whatever other bonuses will be part of the score in the level. You'll then see the splits as normal when you die, but the score you have upon death is in fact the high score and not some random fraction.

I restarted the game with my US iTunes account, so I still have no idea how Knuckles and Tails work (and I lost Charmy, I'm so sad guys....). The game oddly mentions the playable characters that were unlockable in various events in the pilot (the Chaotix and Amy), but you can't unlock them right now (Kind of a fuck you to those who weren't part of the pilot, like "Oh hey, here are all these people who have had the game for like 3 months, have fun beating them). As for the Roulette, I haven't the slightest if that's been fixed, I'm waiting until Classic Sonic is an option on the wheel while I still have a good chunk of red rings and my free special egg spin.

10. Oh wow. That is quite nice. Now if only I could bloody play the thing at the moment :v:

11. SuperSonicRider

SuperSonicRider

Oh so THAT'S how EXP is calculated. Makes sense why I haven't been leveling up that much per run, then. :v:
    You also get a Magnet power-up when you continue in the middle of the level. There seems to be a limit to how much you can use the free one (the ad) though, because I've been abusing the hell out of it to get across episodes in 2 runs, but now only the Red Ring option shows up. If only they would bump the lives back up to 5, ah (or maybe I'm just bad)

12. Paraxade

Paraxade

I didn't have any problems downloading or launching the game on my phone (Galaxy S3), but the game runs like crap for me. Very laggy and there's constant little freezes. The game keeps running even when the display isn't updating, which means I end up falling into pits or running into obstacles that I can't see. I don't think I'll be playing this again unless they patch it and improve performance, or if I upgrade.

Also, there seems to be an issue where some of the menus have icons that are just completely missing. Like the menu to select your item (Wisps, etc) - I can't see any of the item icons so I have no idea what's supposed to be in that menu.

13. Fantastic

Fantastic

Born on an island, in the heavens. Member
    Try disabling Streamline mode in the options if you haven't already.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh, another good thing that's been added.

- If you hit the "BIG" and I'm assuming "SUPER" spot on the daily roulette wheel, you could potentially win a buddy egg.

EDIT: Destructoid reviewed the game. They gave it a 6, saying "hey Sega you made a cool game here, and then proceeded to beat the crap out of it with microtransactions." Yup they sure did. But at least you can get by that by simply saving the game for a romp on the crapper every now and then.

15. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Well I'm still too scared to update the game (I was prompted when I searched for it on the UK Google Play Store) in fear that it'll overheat my Z3 Compact. It's a high-end and incredibly expensive phone so I wouldn't want to damage it. Might wait for these issues to either be patched or clear up before taking the plunge. The adjustments to the game sound enticing though. I'll probably give it a whirl soon since I'm excited to play it. I wonder what's causing the overheating issues?

I did follow the thread on NeoGAF and people were stating that the game forces your phone's CPU in to a high clock speed. Hence the heat issues.

16. I have it installed on an iPhone 4 running iOS 7.x... it's quite laggy. I remember playing full 3D games on my iPhone 3G with no problems :|

17. Super Egg

Super Egg

Master of MS Paint. Member
    Tomball, TEXAS
    Sonic 2 beta 3 hoax
    Apparently my Galaxy S5 can't get this game. Why? People with S3 and S4s are playing it fine. Is it even worth the time getting from somewhere else and installing it that way?

18. Skidd

Skidd

well, I have a galaxy s5 active... if that makes a difference, no problems with heat or crashing (yet) so....

But this game is kinda sweet. I don't quite understand the whole league thing, despite being at the top of it currently um... f3? no idea.
    but as for not actually playing this game until US/international release, I'm really liking this game.

19. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    And I'm even playing it on an S2. Slight frame rate dips in the laters sections of a run, but I've not tried to disable that "streamline" option mentioned previously, so who knows after that.

20. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I love the part where my Nexus 7 has little hangs and that makes me die quickly because my input gets eaten or buffered. Great fun.

Murdering its battery too? Sure, why not. Not like it's been sitting at 6% charge for about 15 minutes now while plugged in.

Oh, and the part where you kick me out of the game telling me I need to update my game to continue playing, but there is no update on the Google Play Store. VERY close to just flat out deleting the game. Sega REALLY suck at testing their junk.