don't click here

Sonic CD now out for everything except Nintendo consoles

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Xilla

Xilla

Absolutely! SFIV did it for the characters voices afterall.

I remember switching the soundtracks for the PC version (including editing the video files) and I did keep a few US tracks (Act Clear, Invincible are the ones that spring to mind) so to do this in-game would be nice.

2. ELS

ELS

I wanted to do that but couldn't find an idiot proof way to do it. It'd also mean that picking the alternate soundtrack would be a compilation of songs I didn't like as much which could be funny.

3. Xeeynamo

Xeeynamo

London
    Recently the emulator RPCS3 (a PS3 emulator) was able to run some commercial games. The first full-compatible game that was tested is... Sonic CD!
    [media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iEq-xONawg[/media]

4. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    It's not the first full-compatible game:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YK1WFZF790

Still really cool that it works though. It's great to see this much progress on the PS3 emulator.

5. Machenstein

Machenstein

Part of me hopes we get a Sonic CD "Gold" which has Desert Dazzle, Final Fever, as well as new fixes that address the flaws the original game had. At the same time, I'd like to see Taxman and Stealth use the Retro Engine for a brand new 2D Sonic once they are done with Sonic 3. One thing at a time, I suppose.

6. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    Late for the party with this stuff as well but having watched what was there of Desert Dazzle and checking out the screenshots of what was there of Final Fever was mind blowing. It was like the days of when we would dig for this sort of stuff in a lot of the really old Sonic games. What is there looks great in design and would love to see this sort of stuff as a new Sonic game with new levels, music, enemies, bosses, etc. utilizing the engine Taxman/Stealth uses.

7. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oooohhh now there's a mod. I may just give this game a go tomorrow with these QoL improvements

9. MagnusTheGreen

MagnusTheGreen

Stop Calling Me Moonlight Member
    This comment aged like fine wine.

10. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Since this thread got bumped anyway, good time to mention that the game is now truly out for everything, including the Switch... If you're a homebrew user, at least. Right this way for those interested.

11. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
  12. Turbohog

Turbohog

Wow. I'm quite impressed by this. Will definitely be taking a look when I get the chance.

13. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    This version of CD turns 10 years old this year.

14. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Don't do that. Don't make me feel old.

15. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    I would like to add to your idea: a special definitive Sonic Classic Collection (or a different name) that includes the original 4 classic games as released, plus a special prototype director’s cut version of all 4 games (since we now finally have prototypes of each game) where scrapped elements from each game are implemented such as backgrounds, obstacles, enemies, etc. This would increase replay value as well as introduce new players to the original development ideas that never made it to the final games. A completely customizable classic Sonic collection.

I know there’s hurdles to cross with Sonic 3&K, and Taxman and Stealth both have the capabilities to turn incomplete ideas into reality, just like Hidden Palace in Sonic 2 iOS.

Man I would love to see that lol but ofc knowing SEGA it probably won’t happen

Btw, of course all of the games would be Taxman ports

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  16. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    I'm still crossing fingers for a retro engine collection and if possible a S3K version too with the original beta music to get around that issue.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  17. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
  18. Xeeynamo

Xeeynamo

London
  19. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Couple problems with the recompiled PC version:

1.) Pressing right on the D-Pad of an Xbox One controller causes the game to close.
    2.) Currently, the settings menu doesn't open. At all.

Aside from that, this is a great start to true Retro Engine modding. Can't wait for Hacking Contest entries!

20. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Where is the save data for the game put? I completed the game with the Time Stones and the Time Attack on Steam and just want to carry that over to the compiled version.