don't click here

Sonic 3C(ustomizable)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Hayate, Jan 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    What a shame, in regards to competition... unless Chrome Gadget (DEATH EGG BOSS ARENA THE FIRST TIME, HINT HINT) and Endless Mine appear as mini acts... :v:

2. Someone should make REAL Zones out of the competition levels. Call it S3: The Lost Levels or something.

Would be loved and adored by all.

On topic: Adding Amy is a neat idea! Can't wait to test it!

3. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I'm pretty sure I've seen a hack with a full scale Azure Lake before, not sure about the others though.

One thing I would advise with Amy however is some sort of accelleration attack, certain pathways such as Hydrocity Act 2 are impossible with just running.

4. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    There is a very good reason why I am not doing that.

Rather than nerf Amy to fit the levels, I'm adding extra routes for Amy where necessary.

And for whatever reason, Hydrocity 1's water level just does not want to change. These... ARE the right addresses, right?

Code (ASM):
    2.         move.w  #$0240,($FFFFF648).w ; current water level
    3.         move.w  #$0130,($FFFFF64A).w ; target water level

5. dsrb

dsrb

I recently read about Ayla's attempt, though it doesn't seem to have got too far (the first release was retracted). Perhaps there are others I don't know about. It would be quite cool to see them fully implemented, as Ayla's screenshots (topic page 2) show that the art looks quite good at full size.

6. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Regardless, I still say she needs a "jump dash" of some sort; even if you don't have down+hammer for extra jump height (since you've increased her jump height anyway), she needs something to help her speed up quickly. Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles all have a spindash originally designed to do just that.

7. Check out loc_6E82 (HCZ 1's dynamic water routine), it might be the problem.

8. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    No, she does not. See Sonic 1 - which has no spindash.

Yeah, I eventually found that after an exhaustive search. I've fixed it now - which brings me even closer to implementing Amy's boss =D

9. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Sonic 1 has no spindash, true. However; this is Sonic 3. A lot of the game is designed with the spindash in mind.

I'm sure E-122-Psi will get round to putting Amy in Sonic3K someday, anyway.

10. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Yipe, well I haven't even got round to hacking Sonic 2 yet.

I agree that there's a key difference between Sonic 1 and 3 due to the level layouts being implemented according to the character's abilities, thus why spin dash is less of a necessity in Sonic 1, that said if Hayate is making Amy special level layouts that may make that moot point anyway.

11. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    Since it seems to be quite an issue, I'll just create two Amy options instead of one. One gives you Amy with spindash with original layouts, the other gives you the current Amy with the new layouts.

Is everyone happy now?

12. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    :v: :thumbsup: :) :eng101:

13. Chaos Knux

Chaos Knux

Stable avatar temporary. Randomizer site down. Banned
    I read that as "Spindash's original purpose = rapid accel"

14. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    [​IMG]

ohi

15. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Oh man

OH MAN

16. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Tech Member
    Doom 32X
    What would be funny would be a "Thor" style acceleration for Amy - she twirls her hammer around faster and faster, then throws it in one direction, with the hammer dragging her along at high speed. :)

17. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    The graphics totally don't fit, but... neat idea. :)

18. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you want better graphics, draw them yourself and I'll put them in =P

Done list:
    - Tails can carry anyone
    - Amy continues attacking if she lands while doing an air attack and neither left nor right is pressed
    - Knuckles + Tails and Amy can now fight Knuckles' boss in AIZ1
    - Amy's HCZ transition fully implemented
    - Signpost graphics glitches in HCZ fixed

To do list (for 1.2):
    - Place an invisible block in that last loop in HCZ1 if you're playing as Amy - I made level edits to stop her getting round the loop, but Super Amy would be able to, as would normal Amy if you jumped at a certain time, and then she'd get stuck in the normal mid-boss arena
    - Actually implement Amy's midboss (currently it's just a decoration)
    - Fix that hammer-monitor bug (shown at 5:00 in Chaos Knux's video)
    - Maybe fix the data select and special stage stuff, I might leave this til the release after next though

19. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

If you want I can hand you my sprite sheet, though it's classic CD-style Amy, rather than the Uekawa one that I think you stated preference for and I haven't got all the refinements and animations for Sonic 3 yet, making them shouldn't take TOO long however:

[​IMG]

As for the rest it sounds great (ironic you make so much progress so quickly after the upload). The Advance boss looks good and actually fits the graphics style okay, though I may advise making it bigger (maybe revert it to normal size but replace Eggman with one of those spooky EggRobo-type faces some of the other sub-bosses have).

20. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    Give me a full spritesheet and I'll make a patch for it. =P

Yes, I do tend to do a lot of work on something then leave it for ages. But it's equivalent to having released the build back in January and still not having done any of this until now. It just seems like there's more progress because I didn't release it until a few days ago.

I might just do that, it does look a bit small. And I thought I was the only one who saw faces in the minibosses!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.