don't click here

Sonic 3 Complete

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tiddles, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Modern

Modern

what tu hecc is modern! Member
    I could care less about the bonus stage rotation, but the tails flying thing does irk me. Perhaps it would make more sense if tails crash landed his tornado on the island. Or maybe the intro is the exact same as Sonic's, except at the end Sonic runs off screen, and you play as tails trying to catch up with Sonic while he runs through his story. Just a thought.

2. Gammatron

Gammatron

Oh wow, I must have only played an old version of Sonic Classic Heroes, because I thought it was just Sonic 2 and you had the trio of Sonic, Tails and Knuckles at all times. I didn't realize it had Sonic 1 levels or the Chaotix, or you could mix and match characters. I've been out of the Sonic loop for a while. I am definitely going to have to download that and play the shit out of it on my Everdrive.

Yeah I have an old Sonic 1 + 2 hack, but I don't know if it has Knuckles or if Tails can fly in it, though. It proves that you can definitely port Sonic 1 levels to Sonic 2's engine, though.

And yeah, the Taxman iOS\Android remakes are what made me think of Sonic 1 and 2 Complete in the first place, but sadly they're only on cellphones which kinda sucks. You can also play them on an Android emulator but bleh. It would be awesome to play something that's essentially the Taxman remakes on my actual Genesis. I guess those would be romhacks that are remakes of remakes? Demakes? Re-demakes?

Sonic CD++ adds a Sonic 2 Spindash kinda sorta, but obviously doesn't have Tails. I feel like Knuckles would be a perfect fit for Sonic CD's level design and it's a shame you can't play as him in any version of the game, not even a romhack.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya Tails can't fly in Sonic 1 + 2, and Knuckles isn't even in it to my knowledge. But it's kinda pure as far as being close to the original 2. And for Sonic CD ya just get the Steam release for a Sonic CD Complete.

To my knowledge no one has made a Sonic 1 or 2 iOS demake for the Genesis, but it could be kinda neat, if only because then we'd get all those neat extra paths and characters and such.

4. Modern

Modern

what tu hecc is modern! Member
    You can also get both sets of emeralds (Chaos emeralds via goal rings, "Sol" emeralds via checkpoints), you can switch team order and count so that, say, you could play as knuckles with tails following you around (this is basically what I was asking for in my original post, the ability to customize teams to my liking, perhaps via the customizer), or even toggle the chaotix rubber band system, which while nice in theory, does not work well eith two players, let alone three.

5. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    I was actually thinking of making Sonic 2 Complete and to a lesser extent, Sonic 1 Complete. I want to do the former, which isn't necessarily a port of the 2013 remaster, but more like Sonic 3 Complete in terms of combining elements from all the different versions (Saturn, Genesis, mobile, 3DS...) and bugfixes.

6. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I do hope you would reconsider the Sonic 1 Complete idea, as it's something I'm already working on.

7. Brainulator

Brainulator

Can I still claim Sonic 2 Complete?

8. Okamikurainya

Okamikurainya

Somewhere in Africa
    Sonic: Time Attacked - MAX
    What about a Sonic Genesis Complete? :P

9. Gammatron

Gammatron

Does anyone have a sprite sheet for the Sonic 1/2 sprites for Sonic 3 Complete, i.e. the extra animations from Sonic 3 not in the source games? Thanks!

10. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Can anyone really claim ownership over such a broad hack idea?

11. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

Something I've been thinking about. It's minor but still.

At the end of AIZ Act 2 during the chase scene just before the boss Tails AI goes retard for some reason, he runs for a bit, then stops, catches up to Sonic and then stops again. Gets bombed extra crispy! I know it's funny, but I'm not sure if this is intended behavior.

And again about AIZ Act 2, during my last playthrough I had a water shield when I got to the boss, I jumped once on Eggman before he burned the bridge, Tails followed my lead and did the same, but he got stuck on the boss and ended up destroying it even before the screen got scrolled to the boss arena on the right. I was still able to hit the animal prison and trigger the Knuckles cutscene though.

12. BSonirachi

BSonirachi

Wiki Sysop
    While I love Sonic 3 Complete and appreciate everything that has been done on it, I do not like how Knuckles' gliding mechanics have been changed underwater to "respect underwater physics". Not only does it make gliding feel awkward to me (especially considering no other game or hack does this, not even Taxman and Stealth's games and remasters), it also makes a certain path in Angel Island Zone Act 1 impossible to get through as Knuckles:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJj9ZJyFAYE[/youtube]

IMO, there should be a patch option to restore the original underwater mechanics for Knuckles' moves.

13. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    It isn't. What's happening is that Tails is trying to catch up with Sonic, suddenly catches up, figures Sonic has stopped or slowed down, and hits the breaks. Rinse and repeat. IIRC Taxman and/or Stealth fixed that in the remaster pitch but I'm not sure how.

Yeah, that's the usual speedrun strat.

14. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

That part of the level is a looping segment, isn't it? Maybe that's why. Tails reaches the end of the loop and stops, it loops again, so he continues running, etc. I suppose one of the ways to fix this would be to override the Tails AI to always hold right as long as the ship is present on screen.

15. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    I don't think it has anything to do with the level loop, because all objects are moved at the same time. It just happens because Tails is able to reach Sonic's horizontal position despite the fact that player 1 is still holding right. There should be plenty of ways to fix it, I just don't know exactly how they did it on the remaster.

16. Brainulator

Brainulator

I actually consider Launch Base Zone Act 2 to be much harder with these physics, and this decision makes it harder to perform a shockwave with Hyper Knuckles. In fact, it makes sense that a streamline/gliding motion would not slow down underwater, nor would being attached to a wall.

17. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I always thought that Tails could catch up with Sonic in that cutscene because Sonic's speed is temporarily reduced or capped to some lower value, so Tails is faster than him. You can best see that Sonic's speed is capped if you use a fire shield or Hyper Sonic's double jump, no matter what you do, you won't go any faster (even though Sonic's legs' animation can and will change according to your theoretical speed and not your apparent one). Of course, this is just a random guess I made over the years, without any evidence to support it, and it might be completely wrong.

18. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    It actually isn't Sonic's speed that's capped, it's his position. Tails has the same cap. Their speed is actually not affected at all, as is evident when the event finishes: you'll shoot off with any extra speed you've built up.

19. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I see, thanks. As I said, I wasn't sure about the cause, what you just said was amongst my other guesses, but in the end I always assumed it was a speed cap, and that the speed was suddenly given back to Sonic at the end. The fact that Sonic's legs' animation changes according to your theoretical speed should have been a clue as well, but for some reason I always dismissed it. It's good to know the truth.

20. Gammatron

Gammatron

Tiddles, how would you feel about adding a drop dash to Sonic 3 complete? It's so good you almost want it in all the previous games now.