don't click here

Sega Lays off 73 People

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Bartman3010, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff
    http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178956

In what I think is some really depressing news, Sega has decided to lay off 73 people from their different divisions. But now they're restructuring their US and European divisions.

The US division will focus solely on downloadable games, whereas London will focus on retail console and PC games specifically. Why? Why?! Why are they doing this? The downloadable market isnt exactly something that is big to capitalize on. So why are they taking their US branch, that sits on possibly the largest potential market, and focus on downloadable games.

Especially when most of their downloadable material are Sega Genesis roms? I....auh....euhh...AIIIUUUGHH?!?!?

2. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    I feel uneasy about this. Downloadable games are a great idea and all, but the American company has far more resources that could be used to do other stuff with. I'm not quite understanding their decision here.

3. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Well...Mike Hayes (right?) was the head of EU before becoming the sole head of the West, so I assume he is playing favorites maybe? :P

4. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    We'll have to wait and see. Too bad about those 73 people, but they'll probably have more luck finding a job than I'm currently having, since they have, well, resumes, and stuff.

5. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    If they really wanted to have one of their divisions do nothing but handle downloadable games, why not SEGA Europe? Frankly, it's not like they do much; meanwhile, SoJ is the bulk of the company and SoA does some stuff every once in a while.

6. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    SEGA of Japan isn't being changed at all, is it? All I've heard is that the West's being restructured. I don't seem to recall SEGA of America actually doing a whole lot in terms of development that's worth thinking about.

7. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    I was only mentioning SoJ for the sake of naming all three branches.

8. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Did Sega actually have any development studios in the US apart from Secret Level?

9. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

I don't know of any.

Does Secret Level develop any games worth thinking about?

10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Sega America has gone it's own way a lot, and Europe is a much more Sega-friendly territory. That may well be why.

Also, "don't do much"? For one thing, Sumo Digital is here, and they've done several big-name games of late.

11. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    Sega seem to forget that it was the Americans which gave Sega and Sonic its global appeal. They should be given MORE responsibilities, not less. Since the Dreamcast days, Sega has been waaaay too Japan friendly, rest of the world be damned.

12. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

Sumo Digital is an independent studio. Its existence has nothing to do with whether SEGA West gets restructured or not.

13. fix'd

Well this sucks, some of the best SEGA games come from America. SoJ is so fucking self-centered and think it's all about their games.

14. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Just realised something, a while ago there was rumour that sega were going to look at improving their iphone app's instead of just rushing out rom dumps (lol sonic 2 only came out last week!) and so the genesis collection app was scrapped along with something else, I guess this falls into their digital plans.

Now I wonder if we are still looking at that iphone sonic cd remake...

15. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    SEGA makes games other than Sonic.

16. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    See the part where I said Sega AND Sonic.

17. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    That still doesn't validate giving them more responsibility due to the accomplishments of a previous administration.

I don't think Tom Kalinske still works at SEGA.

18. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    I wonder how RubyEclipse feel about this SOA direction? Maybe he sees downloadable games as a good future?

19. TSSZNews

TSSZNews

First @ Something or Other Banned
    The Update Desk
    Occasional JOURNALISM
    This. Else I imagine there's little reason left to keep the San Francisco offices open outside of a bare bones crew.

If he has an opinion, he's not gonna share it in public, and wisely so—unless he's content with getting pink slip #74.

20. Super Rockman

Super Rockman

I agree with this. Japan never gave a shit about Sega anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.