don't click here

Pokemon 1st gen development info

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Rabid, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Rabid

Rabid

The Pallete Master Oldbie
    OK, here's the deal, I gota friend thats going on about missingno, I don't know much about pokemon development but he claims its mearly a glitch-pokemon due to how you access it, so after trying a few google searches on pokemon dev, beta's and the like I gave up. So, could anyone point me towards a site that deals with pokemon lost data, betas etc like our own sonic community.

Basically, he's interested me into the "secrets" of the 1st gen pokemon games, what was removed, what hung over from previous builds and the like, and so I came to the only hangout that I spend time that deals with this kind of info.

Any help, links, post your views, im ok with it all.

2. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
  3. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
  4. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
  5. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    I found this at Unseen 64. Interesting find... to say the very least.
    [​IMG]

Now I'm not quite sure if it's 100% accurate, but considering the allegedly messy code of the RBY games, it would make a lot of sense.

6. Sintendo

Sintendo

That's bullshit. Glitch Pokémon just load bogus data, that happens to have their evolution data set to Rhydon or Kangaskhan. Rhydon has hexadecimal value 01 in the game. Kangaskhan is 02.

This page has some neat stuff on it: http://wiki.rustedlogic.net/Pok%C3%A9mon_Red_and_Blue

7. dsrb

dsrb

From that page:
    English video:

That would actually have been quite cool. I'd probably have shat bricks as a young'un! Although I watched the latter video to the end, just for that defeat message? :v: Edit: Yellow's one isn't much better.

8. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    The "How dare you!" seems to be pulled from the standard Old Man defeat message. I guess they never put anything explicit there.

Seriously interesting links, by the way! Please, keep them coming! :)

9. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
  10. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    I was looking up about Missingno. and M' a while back and I was so disappointed to find that perfectly reasonable explanation.
    That battle with oak would have been cool, though.
    I'm really fascinated by Pokemon's early development, the way they created all of the characters and their world, designed everything, created the games themselves and paired that with absolute genius marketing, it's quite inspiring to me.

I've got a .zip of a bunch of Sugimori's artwork, some of it is from like 1995 and you can see how some things developed before the final.
    I uploaded it onto my site (it's around 101mb, over 500 images)

11. Rabid

Rabid

The Pallete Master Oldbie
    Those links are a great help, thanks

12. dsrb

dsrb

Ah, good point. In Yellow he says "That can't be!", which I think I've also heard elsewhere before.

It was certainly fresher and more exciting when it wasn't just a case of "add 100 new creatures and rename the game, towns, and characters". :( I wasn't terribly into Pokémon when I was younger, but my aunt and uncle actually gave me a video of the cartoon before almost anyone else I knew had heard of it—probably the only time I've ever been (and will ever be) ahead of the curve! :v:

I'll probably check this out, sounds interesting.

13. NomadTW

NomadTW

I ain't gotta impress you fucks. Member
    Dunno if this was mentioned, but I guess it's loosely related to the topic:

Let's Horribly Break Poke'mon Blue! and the thread itself is chock full of interesting facts and tidbits related to the development of the first gens (and later ones, as well). Even if it is mainly centered around glitches, he sort of walks you through the nuts and bolts of them and really gives insight as to how poorly coded the first gens actually were. He's pretty thorough about it and may even mention some glitches not already posted.

It even has the guy who translated all the games before the latest release posting in there too. Which I thought was really neat. Gives you an idea of how the game was brought over here from Japan and the thought process behind it.

14. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    Oh wow some of that was really interesting but other times it was incredibly fucking creepy. Those screams, those distorted images, and the dissonant music, dear lord it gives me shivers. It always did, from when I first found out about missingno and 'M.

15. Besides Bulbapedia which has already been mentioned, TRsRockin' is one of my favourites.
    Anyway, Mew Glitch is far superior than Missingno. This one isn't Gen 1 but still pretty funny, and this one is just a big troll.

16. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
  17. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    I actually looked up a ton of pokemon glitches and facts about 2 months back, some real interesting stuff especially learning why missingno appeas and all that shit, I forgot what place I was looking at but it was full to the brim of facts.

Might have been that bulbapedia actually.

18. libertyernie

libertyernie

502 Bad Gateway Member
    Has anyone mentioned this site yet?
    http://trsrockin.com/tales.html
    Hasn't been updated in a while, but it has so much information on it, including the technical aspects of Missingno. and why it depends on the name.