don't click here

Full Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog Pilot episode!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by OSM, Mar 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    From Sega Memories:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EZ54vXrcVU...s.blogspot.com/

The webmaster was even given a full painting of Dr. Robotnik from Milton Knight himself! Scroll down the page a bit to see the update.
    http://sega-memories.blogspot.com/

Discuss if this is relevant enough to warrant it's own thread.

2. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Wow. Why wasn't the show more like this? <3

3. Lord Kanti

Lord Kanti

I liked it a lot; especially since Jim Cummings looked to be originally cast as Robotnik.

The video game references were pretty cool, too. Also, is it me, or is the animation different from the final syndicated version of this?

4. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Yeah, it's not just you. As the quote in OSM's post says, this was done by Milton Knight and Ed Love themselves -- the series proper had its animation outsourced, hardly uncommon even in those days.

Also it's true that Cummings needs no testament to his abilities as a voice actor, but he does pull off both kinds of Robotnik personalities quite well on his own, though of course this isn't much different from his Big Bad Pete persona.

5. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Too bad the entire series didn't turn out to be like this. :\

Most of the people who worked on the pilot were very famous, if you noticed. The animation was done by someone who worked for Disney since the 30s, and many of the people who worked on other stuff also worked on Ren and Stimpy. Also, the voice of SPACE GHOST and POWDERED TOAST MAN does the voice of the narrator.

Too bad DiC never hires anything other than Korean animators to work on their show. The animation done here was done in the States. Korean animators were often hired to work on the animation of most of the 80s cartoons you see. Ugh.

If this entire series were built like the pilot, I bet it would be more popular than it is now. I can't stop watching this masterpiece. :P

6. Jan Abaza

Jan Abaza

Oldbie
    I love this, it's like Felix the Sonic or something.

Used to wonder where that giant sledgehammer / remote gag from the intro was from, when I was a kid...and god that one still looks as painful as ever...

7. Skaarg

Skaarg

hmm I liked Cummings overall as a voice actor, but the way he said "I hate that hedgehog!" was slightly disappointing.

8. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I don't want any of my pals turnin' into road pizza.

9. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    I love this stuff for the nostalgia, but I can't help but cringe every time Jaleel White speaks.

10. Metal Knuckles

Metal Knuckles

HAVE SOME FUN WITH MIKU Member
    New Hampshire, USA
    Shadow Alpha, an awesome hack of Sonic 1
    [​IMG]

So would this be the first documented case of Down Syndrome Sonic?

11. Cap

Cap

The perfect saturday morning cartoon. Simply because it doesn't take itself seriously, like every other sonic show.

Sonic was way past cool back in the day. "I don't take no bull." That's something 4kids would surely remove. Damn I love how lenient cartoons used to be. Seriously, parents are far too protective of what there children watch today. The complaint section killed TV.

All this needs is sound effects and some music and it would be absolutely perfect. Actually, that would be quite a fun little project, adding sound to the pilot episode.

Anyways, that would be like a dream come true in my opinion. A sonic TV show that doesn't take itself seriously. Something Road Runner and Coyote esque. Sonic Night of the Werehog was amazing for doing just that, as was Sonic OVA, and Sonic Unleashed (mainly the shorts). Sega should seriously keep on that track and continue with the saturday morning cartoon style work. We've already seen what happens when the series takes itself seriously. It becomes a mixture of Final Fantasy and Parental Control. Lets just hope they get the message for a change.

12. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    ~1:47 - Robotnik sure knows how to shake that thang!

Some interesting stuff, especially the scene used in the series proper's credits and the S1 Eggmobile with ball-n-chain. Continuity error, of course, being that Sonic can swim in this pilot. Shame they don't have all the dialogue, though. It'd be nice to know what Robotnik's saying when he's mooning the audience.

13. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

"Robotnik is voiced by Jim Cummings instead of Long John Baldry"

:)

14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    hmm...
    [​IMG]
    though I must admit I haven't really watched the series that much so I don't know if this scene made the final cut.

15. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    It did, I've seen it recently. The Robotnik voice was odd, but quite good in it's own right. Still doesn't compare to the later one though.

16. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    That specific scene didn't, but you see a lot of the enemies from the game in the first episode.

17. Ben Laserlove

Ben Laserlove

This is so much better then the rest of the series, and I kinda liked the rest of the series. Robotnik is as cool as always, even through Long John is one step better then Jim <3

And if Sonic could swim, he would've done it like in this episode, I figured.

18. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Did the begining remind anyone of those alpha pictures of Sonic 1? The old GHZ level? I know it has no relations what so ever, but it reminded me of it.

19. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Jim Cummings shouldnt of used the Pete voice. It's sorta well known and I know he gots more range in the voices he can do.

20. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.