don't click here

Windows 8 RTM :V

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Oerg866, Aug 3, 2012.

1. [​IMG]

Changing startup options is now much easier and it tells you how big of a difference these programs make. I like.

2. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    But that is valid for Luna and Vista basic too, isn't it?

Also, even with transparency off, DWM noticeably gets about 10% of your GPU processing power, not as much as I expected, though! And yeah the other reskins are basically the same as Windows Classic. I think they could have made a version of the classic skin using DWM on 8!

3. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    No, they use the old window management. Just like Windows Classic but with a different look.

The minimum FPS in that benchmark is slightly higher without Aero, but you'll notice the maximum and average are almost identical. See also the Crysis benchmark from the same thread that shows all numbers as being damn near identical, Aero or not.

4. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Nevermind that Aero disables itself whenever you go into a fullscreen game.

5. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    That was what I was questioning, that Luna and Basic are the same as Classic xD.

6. HighFrictionZone

HighFrictionZone

Hi. Member
    Katy, Texas
    Nothing
    Right so. I tried Windows 8. Honestly and truly I did. But there were - and still are - problems that have to be sorted out in the next couple months before I would even consider it.

Primarily: No matter how hard I tried, I could not get it to recognize my audio device. No sound is a no go: half of what I do on the computer involves hearing things. But, I suppose that once Windows 8 hits release, that area might be shored up.

Second: Microsoft account. I was all gung-ho about signing into my computer using my Microsoft account which was previously called a Windows Live account which was previously called my Xbox Live account. But the interface for signing in using said account is BROKEN, constantly redirecting to the "Create an Account" interface. Again, I suspect this could be fixed before release, but it does throw some doubt on the developer's abilities.

Third, and this is the actual deal breaker for me - I can buy new sound cards and I don't have to link my PC account to a Microsoft accout. But that metro start screen.... It just. I'm fine with the tiles. I don't mind the dumb interface. But god help you if you have more than one screen-full of data. Scroll through it using mouse wheel right? WRONG. Well I can click and drag on an empty space- you know, to simulate touch and swipe, right? INCORRECT. I am forced to use the scroll bar on the bottom. NEVERMIND THE FACT THAT HORIZONTAL SCROLLING IS THE DUMBEST IDEA EVER. I get that the vast majority of users have monitors wider than they are tall. But, you know, that means you're fighting the learned behavior that websites and everything else scrolls vertically. And besides, most scroll wheels are vertical in nature - not horizontal. Although, what with the scroll wheel not working for the start screen, that probably didn't occur to them.

AS A SIDE NOTE: There are commands which can be employed to edit the BCD store to permit persons on Windows 7 to boot from a VHD. The system supports it - and has since Vista - there just wasn't an interface for it.

7. Another user who doesn|t know what the "desktop"button is for. Also, Windows 7 64 bit audio drivers WILL WORK.

8. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    I can put up with having to click the desktop button. I can put up with horizontal scrolling. The biggest problem with Modern Sonic UI is that it does not have folders. Yeah, you can set up dividers, but when everything adds an icon called "uninstall" it becomes a real pain to figure out what's what.

9. Skaarg

Skaarg

My biggest issue with that start screen is how it adds EVERYTHING to it. It was okay before if a program had 5-8 items in the start menu because they were hidden in a folder. With Windows 8 you get all of them cluttering up your start screen. Then you have to remove each item, and re-organize to your liking. It reminds me of the Vita home screen where it has potential, but it can just become a clusterfuck of nonsense very easily.

10. Skaarg

Skaarg

Sorry for the double post, but I thought some might find this interesting.

[​IMG]

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/35189-Windows-7-explorer-for-Windows-8

So apparently this person is making it so the Windows 7 explorer.exe will run on Windows 8. So with this Metro is completely gone, you have the new Windows Explorer with ribbon (eh I like it), and you get all the performance/start-up enhancements brought on by Windows 8. It's still a bit buggy as obvious from the description in the thread, but it will obviously make some people like myself very happy if it gets completed.

11. [​IMG]

DUDE! :D classicshell update got released today =P

To hell with those win7 explorer hacks btw.

[​IMG]

12. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Here's another replacement. Can't verify if it's real or not, though.
    http://lee-soft.com/vistart/

13. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    ViStart is real. Kinda buggy, but real.

14. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    Yeah, it is. That's from the same guy who made ViOrb, which gives you a Vista/7 style start button on other Windows operating systems (with customizable image). It works, but the last time I ever bothered using it (which was when I still used XP), it felt slow... and a little bit glitchy.

15. HighFrictionZone

HighFrictionZone

Hi. Member
    Katy, Texas
    Nothing
    If you had paid attention, my complaint wasn't that I couldn't deal with the start screen, or that the audio wasn't working: I can live with tiles. Sound support will only get better as time goes on.

The problem is that the tiled "start screen formerly known as metro" did not support using a mouse wheel to scroll through content. Which makes sense: the scroll wheel is vertical and the content scrolls horizontal. Except that doesn't make sense because who the fuck sets it up for horizontal scrolling? The entire crux of my complaint was that when there is too much content for one screen, visually navigating to the rest of the content takes too long. I suppose that I could just search for it, except then those live tiles do absolutely fuck all and I'm right back to doing exactly what I'm doing with Windows 7 except they made a pointless change to the interface.

And yes, I am more than aware of what the desktop button does. I am just saying that I made a serious legitimate attempt to use the operating system AS THE DESIGNERS INTENDED and discovered that the product has actually regressed from a usability standpoint: a shame because I honestly and truly do think that there is some merit to the idea of having live tiles.

On a different note: Currently dual-booting Xubuntu and Windows 7, in preparation for when Steam hits Linux and I can start moving to a Linux only. Now if only GOG.com could support linux so I wouldn't have to run games in WINE, I'd be set.