don't click here

What's your favourite console/system for playing Sonic?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by VB.NET, May 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VB.NET

VB.NET

United States
    Learning C++
    Personally, while I think it would be cool to play Sonic on the original hardware, I sadly don't have a real Sega anymore. So my favourite console to play Sonic on would have to be an Xbox 360 Elite since it kinda feels like a beasty Megadrive fused with a Dreamcast.

What is your favourite console/system to play Sonic on and why?

2. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
    Megadrive.
    Because it's the original formats, the games are on cartridges which means they're easier to change than discs and the controller is simple, large enough to hold and well designed.

3. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    It doesn't really matter to me. :/ PC is convenient for switching games and consoles without having to get up out of my seat or anything, but I like the GCN/Wii for playing in surround sound. I haven't played my Genesis for a while, I think it was sometime last summer, but that works too. I also don't have any of the 3D games on my computer (I do have Sonic R, but I don't have it installed for some reason... lol).

4. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    PlayStation. Better than PC emulator, better than Genesis.

^ + - BURN THE BLASPHEMER! ROAST HIS FLESH AND RETURN HIM TO HELL FROM WHENCE HE CAME!!  

5. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    PC and Xbox 360 please. PC is the most versatile for it, and Xbox 360s have amazing controllers.

6. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I'd have to go with the 360 too, since I have all available Sonic games for it already, and I only have to change discs for the recent titles (Heroes and after). Once Adventure comes out on XBLA, hopefully complete with Game Gear games too, it'll only be Sonic CD, Chaotix, Sonic R, SA2, and the handheld games left. Yes, I know I've left out Sonic the Fighters and the Wii games, but I don't care about them.

7. I like playing the core four games on pretty much anything, because they're great games. Great games are great no matter what you play them on (unless they're shitty ports). I think I prefer the PSP for the first two games, though, because it gives me an opportunity to save and quit whenever I want.

Sonic 3D Blast is the one game I prefer playing on Xbox360, because the analog stick actually makes the game a little more playable.

8. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    DS, because it's my only portable system, and frankly I'm not too bothered by Sonic Classic Collection.

9. SillyJonna

SillyJonna

rhymes with iguana Member
    Orlando, Florida
    Kickin' Rad!
    The Genesis, because it feels so right. Also, almost every emulated version has some sort of sound issue, which bugs me to no end. Second place would be on a PC with a USB Saturn controller.

10. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    I would say the original console that each game was released on. It's very easy to find a Sega Genesis online and not too pricey either. As far as remakes go, I liked the feel of the GameCube the best. It was the first non-Sega console to get ports of the older games starting with SA2 and SMC.

11. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    The way I play them the most often is with the GCN controller, either with Mega Collection or using a GCN to PC converter and Gens. This is mostly because my Genesis is packed away in storage.

I probably do prefer playing them on the Genesis, though. I guess that'd come first, with Mega Collection coming in as a close second.

12. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I prefer to play them on the original hardware the best, best controller, sound, everything! That's how they were meant to be enjoyed, but keeping the ol' Genesis hooked up all the time is such a pain. So I usually play them on the (both modded) Wii or PSP as these are usually around and ready to go.

No way I'm going to rebuy them again on the 360, and the DS emulation is not so good and the screen is too small.

13. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    Original systems, simply because they're the originals and that's how they were meant to be played. I do find the use of emulators much more convenient though, so long as I can use a good controller (IE fuck the 360's d-pad).

14. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I prefer playing Sonic Mega Collection (and all the other Sonic Gamecube games) on the Wii using a component cable and surround sound. The quality of picture is just amazing, and the sound quality is a lot better than my Mega Drive, considering it used an old ariel connector, which not only gave it a bad picture, but also projected mono sound.

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Wii, with Genesis plus. Perfect sound emulation, NTSC filter and silent console just like the original.

Also, for some reason I find playing MegaDrive games with the Nunchuk very enjoyable.

16. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Wii for me. I can't honestly say I enjoy playing them on my Genesis, given its lower video resolution and tendency to freeze on me. Still do it occasionally for the nostalgia factor, though.

17. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I don't have a Genesis, so for me the next best thing is the XBOX 360 due to it's controller.

18. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Ignoring the piece of paper in the middle (this picture was taken originally ro prove a point to Oerg about something unrelated):

[​IMG]

I believe this answers the OP. =P

19. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I love the emulation available on the PC, and using a 360 controller. Playing it on a nice LCD, 5.1 surround with a good controller, that's pretty good.

If I had a working Megadrive, I know I would play them from time to time on an old TV, in PAL just for nostalgia.

20. Jaseman

Jaseman

The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer! Member
    Genesis, followed by DS. Having the classics on your handheld is just great!
    Plus, my Genesis can't play Megamix 3.0

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.