don't click here

What if IDW made other characters based on ones from the Archie comic for theirs?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, May 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dredd

dredd

Banned
    We already have a spiritual successor to Dr. Finitevus in the form of Dr. Starline, so what if IDW went the extra mile and made more characters based on ones exclusively from the Archie comics? This concerns characters from the Pre-Reboot era since the Post-Reboot characters are caught in legal limbo for some weird reason.

Some of the characters include,

Enerjak:
    [​IMG]

An evil deity whose power manifests by possessing an echidna of great pride, manifesting as an alter ego of those he possesses.

Lien-Da:
    [​IMG]

A female echidna who serves as the leader of the Dark Legion.

Mammoth Mogul:
    [​IMG]

An immortal mammoth with vast mystical powers. (Think Vandal Savage but in the Sonic universe)

Mina Mongoose:
    [​IMG]

A mongoose who once had a crush for Sonic and is a celebrity singer on Mobius.

Hope Kintobor:
    [​IMG]

A young girl with incredible skills in engineering, is the half-brother of Dr. Eggman's nephew Snively Robotnik, and is currently serving as a mechanic for G.U.N.

If IDW were to make characters based on each described on this thread, how would they be portrayed respectively?

2. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    At the very least, trying to recreate anything made by Penders is presumably a no-go.

3. dredd

dredd

Banned
    Indeed. God help us if they decide to create a new character that's an echidna.

4. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    BioWare sure learned that the hard way :V

5. dredd

dredd

Banned
    Anyway, back on topic what would IDW characters based on the Archie characters I mentioned each be like?

6. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    They wouldn't be like anything because Penders already successfully sued them about it.

7. dredd

dredd

Banned
    Well, we still have Starline. But Finitevus was a creation of Karl Bollers.

8. Pretty sure there was a part of the lawsuit process where Bollers actually hopped on the sue-happy bandwagon for certain characters like (I believe) Finitevus and Mammoth Mogul.

9. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Finitevus himself was an expy of Fleetway's Dr. Zachary anyway. Bollers didn't even bother hiding the fact he was a Sonic the Comic fan, adding various cameos of Fleetway characters around the time he introduced Zachary IIRC. It would be awfully hypocritical of him to get up in arms over a Finitevus expy.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  10. dredd

dredd

Banned
    So far, he hasn't thrown a temper tantrum over Starline and tried to sue IDW.

11. Eh. I like the joke that STC beat Penders to the punch on a lot of his ideas anyways. I really don't see character analogs being much of an issue if they were't sticking more along a Sega-Sonic style universe for now.

https://sites.google.com/site/sthcharasbyauthor/home

Pretty sure this is accurate and Mogul was Scott Fulop. He was the one who jumped on the lawsuit bandwagon for character rights and I believe lost at some level anyways. So Ashram was on the right track there. Don't know if there were any appeals to that case. Karl Bollers claimed his characters belonged to him when all of the old original contracts ended up destroyed and/or missing but I don't remember him pursuing individual actions, though he was involved in some larger class action suit against Archie by most of the older and possibly current writers towards the end if I remember right... I think that was a residuals thing but not sure on that. As for the cameos, that was explicitly Jon Gray throwing in cameos and he did apologize over at the Sonic the Comic Online Comic forums (I think this was the right forums) to Lew Stringer (because he posted there and the community was pretty upset at that point back then) for Shortfuse and Tekno appearing. Finetevus being designed by him also probably had a great deal of design inspiration in the end. The original design was quite a bit divergent though up until they dropped the third eye idea and took it in a different direction and they probably just ran with the similarities from there. Haven't seen Bollers pop up much in regards to major lawsuits but he also seems to be the one who still had an ongoing career after Sonic with Marvel & Valiant. He might not want to burn bridges with anything frivolous. I could be wrong.

When it comes down to it, Flynn was already refilling a great number of the character archetype holes left by the missing characters with a slightly more varied cast let alone re-introductions of older characters post Genesis Wave before. Depending on how character rights fall and if Sega still maintains them as they intended moving forwards without there being complications from Archie that spring up, it's not infeasible that down the road we will see a new multiverse with old faces pop up with the more Game-Centric universe as the hub. It's not like multiverse stories don't sell and they could easily milk the story idea since Sonic has played with it through different iterations.

As for Starline specifically, at this point it's like xeroxing a xerox of a copy and everything is so second hand it might as well be original?

12. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Ah, I stand corrected. Seems I misremembered some parts :V

13. dredd

dredd

Banned
    An IDW based on Enerjak would probably be connected to the Master Emerald in some form.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.