don't click here

Special Stage Development

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Canned Karma, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NAC

NAC

Operation Neptune 2011
    why not just keep the entire track a uniform transparency, except simply don't draw the bombs & rings past a certain z-distance from the screen?

2. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Hey, Synergy, why not make the background a colored Perlin Noise style background?

3. Andeed

Andeed

Holy pug in a pizza box... Member
    Wales, UK
    Sonic 1 AS3 Engine
    (Sorry for the bump!) What's happening with the special stage, any progress there? Will it be integrated at all into the alpha?

4. Synergy

Synergy

UK
    Still working on it: hope to have more to show off in the near future :) It won't be in the alpha unless the S2HD team have any other plans for the special stages.

5. Andeed

Andeed

Wales, UK
    Sonic 1 AS3 Engine
    Brilliant, I look forward to it! ;)

6. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    If it's not, I wonder what happens when you try to enter one?

7. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    I was thinking about that too, and I imagine we'll just shut them off or something so no stars appear. I'm not actually sure yet, but that seems like a logical thing to do.

8. Maybe, we can HAVE the stars at the checkpost, only that when Sonic jumps on it, you'll get something similar to this:
    [​IMG]

Then you'll just go back to where you were before. Would be a nice nod to the classic games, me thinks.

9. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    Ha ha. That could be amusing.

10. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    Fort Worth, Texas, USA
    Making a Full-Sized Egg Carrier in Minecraft.
    Sorry for being flagrantly off-topic, but you took that screenshot at the perfect moment. Tails has a serious rapist-smile going on mid blink there.

11. Thanks to you, I'm starting to get some sick, sexual thrill out of that picture now.
    THANKS A LOT! :specialed:

Back on topic:

This might be a question you might not be able to answer at this point, but how many FPS are you guys planning to input for the Special Stages?

30? 60? 999?

12. Andeed

Andeed

Wales, UK
    Sonic 1 AS3 Engine
    The framerate will be dependent on the user's hardware and how quickly it can render it, since it's fully 3D. If you have a graphics card less than 5 years old then you should have no trouble with running it at a decent framerate.

13. Synergy

Synergy

UK
    Well, I'm not sure we can be specific until the style of the stages has been finalised. I'd quite like to be able to provide multiple settings or styles for an array of hardware, but what final settings or style the S2HD team want to expose to the end user will be up to them I suspect.

14. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Will it be anti-aliased (I'm talking edges of polygons here)?

15. Synergy

Synergy

UK
    The option will be there, sure.

16. How about, when the game is finished, you put in a seperate special stage technical demo along with the .EXE file? If you do that, it would show you exactly how the special stages will be like in your computer without having to find literally every checkpoint in the entire game.

17. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    Everyone and his dog has probably noticed this by now, but in the special stages, Tails has flesh-colored arms. Will this error be fixed in S2HD?

18. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    You wouldn't have to find every check point in the game to see every special stage. You'd just have to find every check point in Emerald Hill. Pretty sure you have to get the emeralds in a linear order so you'd have to beat them all as you go, but yeah.

19. Wait, you serious? *goes to check* Holy shit. I never noticed that. Shows how much I've actually played Sonic 2.

20. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Seeing as the 3D character models for the special stage are being made right now, I can guarantee that will be fixed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.