don't click here

Sonic Mobius

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by The Game Collector, Jul 8, 2011.

1. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    I used the topic search on this site and nothing came up for this title so here it goes:

<a href="http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:fAU2uyBmRt4J:www.facebook.com/SonicMobiusFangame%3Fsk%3Dinfo+sonic+mobius+fangame+nack&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com" target="_blank">Sonic Mobius Cached Facebook Page</a>

Is anyone here familiar with this fangame that is nearing completion? I joined this facebook page and spoke with the author of the fangame and he said he hopes to be 100% finished with the game by late summer or early fall. He has not released a demo for a very long time, wanting to just get it all done and be done with it. What is strange is that it seems I cannot access the normal facebook page for the game anymore. I just get redirected to my homepage.

The artwork for the zones looks great to me. I am just hoping the physics will be as good as the graphics look. Take a look at those screenshots.

And look they even give Special Thanks to Tweaker for inspiration.

2. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Already not interested.

Taking a pet peeve of mine and then inflating its usage to titular status isn't really going to win my support, sorry.

Graphics are really nice, though.

3. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    It's made by this guy. There was also a topic here about the game, although I think the topic at SFGHQ forums was more up to date and even a demo released over there.

4. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    What a dick. You have to register to facebook just to see the screenshots, and he doesn't offer them anywhere else? Well it looked interesting at first anyway.

5. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Mobius is/was official canon in a number of Anglophone regions and also incredibly nostalgic to a huge group of Sonic fans. It won't magically dissolve because it's some people's "pet peeve".

When it's finished, I look forward to your dismissal of my own fangame on the strength of nouns alone.

Anyway... are there any other fangames or hacks with a playable Fang/Nack, or will this be the first?

6. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Oh, I thought it was him. I was rushing to post before I left.

Still don't remember seeing those newer levels though.

7. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    Yeah he told me he had been consistently working on the game all year.

The only other fangame with a legitimate looking Nack playable that I have seen was his solo game Triple Fang, but it is only for Mac. It's a platform shooter.

Even if you still sign up for facebook you might get no results. This is a google cache web page. I think the actual facebook page was taken down because every time I try to access the link to it, I just get returned to my wall.

8. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Why wait? I'll dismiss it right now!

I hate it. Deal with it. By simply not playing it, I know I'm dealing with it in my way. No reason I should spend time with something that I know is going to bother me the whole time I'm playing it, now is there?

All I have to say, really. Don't even try to convince me otherwise, my opinion on this subject is too well established; you'll only be wasting everyone's time, not least of which being your own. I don't intend to shit this thread up any more than I already have, anyway.

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Enough bitching about the name, please. That goes for everyone.

10. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    I thought better of you, Shadow Hog. That is shallow.

Game looks cool from what little of the screens I can make out. Anything larger than thumbnails out there?

11. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    I haven't seen anything else. The whole reason I posted about it here was because the facebook page mysteriously vanished, making the chached page the only thing that remained. I was hoping the guy making this would look here and answer the fact that the page was taken down. You know, address whether it was intentional on his part or if facebook just removed it at their discretion. I was one of the people who had clicked "like" on the page and I was using it to look at the progress etc. + hoped that when he finished the game I would find out about it on there.

12. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    It's still alive. I've been working on it off and on and inching toward completion. The more complete Zone 1, Act 1 demo is here (newer than the Facebook download): http://www.mediafire.com/?ubc559m55u12um1 With Sonic, Tails and Nack being playable and with super mode.

Some sprite bugs have yet to be fixed as well as some other stuff but it's coming together. The Facebook page has been deleted a while ago.. so here are the zones and some screens:

HEXAGON HILL ZONE

[​IMG]

TERRARIUM TOWER ZONE

[​IMG]

MIDNIGHT MOBIUS ZONE

[​IMG]

CRYSTAL CANYON ZONE

[​IMG]

POLAR PALACE ZONE

Screenshot not yet available

ELEVATION ENERGY ZONE

[​IMG]

FOXTAIL FURY ZONE

Screenshot not yet available

13. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Well, aside from some very WIP looking graphics (Sonic's backwards hand on the title screen caught my eye in particular), you seem to have a pretty solid engine going here, though I've got some gripes with one those buzzbombers. There's one whose path seems to collide with a loop. It goes through the loop, and if you're unfortunate enough to be running on this loop, you may collide with this buzzbomber. It happened to me twice, and it's annoying. Are these buzzbombers all using the path movement, or something more robust?

Also I love the choice of music for Super Mode. The biggest grin stretched across my cheeks when I heard it.

14. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    The buzzbomber badnik or "bomberbuzz" is what we called them in this game uses the same path movement that was implemented in the engine, Sonic Worlds Delta V 1.2. I just simply replaced its sprites, as I have done the same replacing Knuckles with Nack sprites. That would explain some random funky actions and certain hot spots being somewhat off with him.

I do intend to move the bomberbuzz from the loop, as I agree it is annoying to have him there and the chances of getting hit while going around the loop.

15. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    I work with MMF2 myself, and for enemies that only move left and right, I use a bit of a different system that allows me to change the size of their movement area easily, using four invisible boundaries and the bouncing ball movement.

Here's what it looks like in the editor:
    [​IMG]
    EDIT: I got distracted and cropped the image

There's a boundary on top, a boundary on bottom, and two boundaries on the side. Set the initial direction to left or right, turn the bounce randomiser down to 0, and the things will move left and right, and you can change the boundaries on the left and right to adjust the size of their movement area.

The boundaries don't have to be as small as they are in my screenshot, of course. Since the buzzbomber moves it's tail down to fire, you'd probably have to use a hitbox.

—On an unrelated note, what do you plan to do for special stages? Will they be accessed via Goal Ring, Checpoint post, or will the game do the Sonic 3 thing and have bonus stages in the posts and special stages at the end of the level?

16. Tichmall

Tichmall

J.League PK Party, a "penalty kick" minigame.
    Interesting, I'm about to get to the enemies movements in my game (I also work with MMF2), your advices are helping. Thanks.

As for Sonic Mobius, everything looks like classic sonic games perfectly, but it's a bit frustrating to see the Aqua lake Zone's fountains without Aqua lake Zone. :v:

17. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    I am really liking what I see. The only thing that seemed kind of weird was when playing as Nack, not all of his sprites are finished yet. It's kind of like playing with a work in progress Mugen character. His inclusion is nice though. Hopefully your spriter will finish up work on him so you can add the glide animation, or if you have plans to tweak his movements and only use existing sprites that would work and be cool as well.

The physics seem perfect to me, so that is definitely a good engine to use for Sonic fangames. The level design also works well.

18. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    The only plan that I have is for a bonus stage, a spin-the-wheel type stage accessible from a checkpoint but there are no plans of a special stage yet. If you look around in the level in the demo, there is a chaos crystal piece hidden. Every zone will have a piece out of 7 to collect. I was hoping for something like unlimited super, zero rings required to morph after finding them. Rings will no longer be deducted while in super mode.

Everything in the tilesets were custom drawn by myself. After double-checking, you're right, they do resemble each other a lot. Should this be changed?

Thanks. I plan to fix everything and was thinking of giving him an umbrella-type thing or something that he can fly with. I also want him to shoot with his capgun to destroy enemies. Open for ideas.

19. I would like playing this, but it always forces a full screen! Is there anyway you can make this have a windowed option?

20. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    Pressing Alt + Enter changes to min or max screen. Here's your request. :)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/6er92y2gy21i3zf/Sonic%20Mobius%20-%20Windowed%20Option.exe